Fancy schmancy controllers

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
Anyone use any third party controllers? Specifically for PS4 but I guess if you bought an Xbox Elite controller, I'd love to hear your opinion too.

I am in need of a new controller. My DS4 is worn out and the battery life sucks. I have been eyeing the Scuf brand controllers and the Astro C40. One thing I like about them is that they look a little bigger and thicker and I think that would be a lot more comfortable for these bear paws of mine. They can be really customizable as far as stick type/height. The Astro can actually swap d-pad and analog stick locations. And they have extra programmable buttons on the back. I'm not really heavy into shooters but do play them and I'm not really into any competitive multi-player scene so I don't really need this extra fancy features other than the comfort factor.

Basically, my heart really wants one. However my head and wallet say, don't spend $150-$200 on a damn controller.

TL;DR: Have you ever bought a fancy controller and if so, how do you still feel about your purchase?

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I got an Elite Series 2 for playing PC games and it's very good. It feels much better than any other controller I have and the hefty weight and the details on the grips and the surfaces of the controls are great. It's cool to be able to adjust the throw on the triggers but other than that I haven't really used any of the customization. I don't know how anybody uses those paddles on the back, I had to take them off cause I was constantly hitting them on accident.

My take on all these controllers is that they are very nice and you will probably like it a lot, but I don't think I would miss anything if I had never tried it and was still using my Xbox One controller. It's a true luxury purchase. If you're going to miss the 150 bucks it's not like you need one of these things, especially with how good the regular controllers are for consoles these days.
    Murderbear
  • I've never bought a crazy expensive controller, but here's my .02 as someone who played with a lot of people that bought wildly expensive keyboards and mice to play World of Warcraft back in the 00's and early 10's. 

Unless you really, really need the swappable components (ie you find the stock sticks or d-pad unacceptably uncomfortable on a standard controller) or you really think you're going to use the increased functionality an expensive controller (like macros (is that a thing on controllers or just keyboards?) or programmable buttons - but generally you're gonna use those for things like online shooters. Can you think of a single player game that desperately needs something remapped and doesn't have remapping in game, or where there's a 2-button press action you use enough that you need a programmable button?), IMO they are not worth it and lots of people I know who bought really expensive peripherals didn't think it was worth it. If you want a bigger controller, 3rd party options are a lot better than they used to be, and you can probably go to a best buy or gamestop or something to see if they feel good in your hands. I know a lot of companies make ps4 controllers in the style of xbox controllers now. 

All that being said, if you think buying a $150 controller will make you happy, and you can afford it, do it! Worst case scenario you're out $100 when compared to getting a good quality standard controller, and life's too short to dwell on little things like this. 
    Murderbear
  • I went out and bought the 1st Microsoft Elite controller and I don't use any of the added bumpers for the same reasons that @bizmarkiefader said that I would accidentally hit them more often than anything.  Plus the only thing I really mapped them for was to be able to throw grenades without having to take my finger off the trigger when I play 1st person shooters.  But with that being said I would still buy it again in a heartbeat just for the build quality and weight of the controller.  Really depends on what you're planning on using it for and what your reasons for wanting it.  It sounds like it'd be a good fit given you have larger hands but it all comes down to how much you play and what kind of extra spending money you have. 
    MurderbearBroRad33