UPDATES! Forum Upgrades

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited February 24 in General
Update... We have moved to the new server. It feels like we didn't lose much data, but I wouldn't be surprised if an hour or two's worth of posts went missing. Now onto stage 2, upgrading the base software. I don't anticipate any data loss during this step, but it will probably take a day or two.

Original post...
Hello, we're bringing out the big guns as far as upgrades go. We're migrating to an entirely different server with a new OS, we're upgrading all of the base software vanilla forums runs on, (mysql, php, apache). Then we are going to update vanilla itself. Finally, we are going to attempt to purge all threads older than 2 years in an effort to restore performance.

This might disrupt service (more that it already is, ha!), but we don't expect any data loss, and at any rate, we have a good backup from this morning. Some of this work is being performed by our host on contract, some of it will be done by myself, and it will most likely span several days. I will update this post when we are finished with the upgrades. If performance is still not improved we'll discuss with the community potential next steps.

Thanks for your patience with the forums, and I appreciate everyone who has stuck around while this thing has been gasping and wheezing!
awookieeFreddybizmarkiefaderJaimieTCapeGabecalebthrowercdriveMurderbearNoelTeresa from Concordand 16 others.

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    If you lose even one of my gems! Ha ha.
    JaimieTA_Ron_HubbardElisaChinaskibazjensterCretanBullFlukes
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This must be super frustrating. Good luck with the upgrades, maybe it'll even fix the search
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Christ on a cracker!
    bazjenster
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Thanks for giving it the kiss of life! I love these forums!
    cdriveJaimieTDee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I should repost in What’s Making My Day!
    cdriveElisaMurderbearbazjensterNoel
  • But I thought the 504 Bad Gateway page was just backdoor marketing for Mr. Robot season 5 confirmed... :)

Good luck with the upgrades. Was waiting for the post that just said 'F it, we're moving the whole forum to reddit and calling it a day'

JaimieTNgongo121Elisa
    Yes, a pre-emptive thank you for all the work!!!
  • Big thanks for doing what it takes to keep the forums up and going.  Definitely is a major part of Bald Move that I enjoy participating in.  
    Elisa
  • maybe it's because I'm on a different continent but i thought it was performing better lately... we really will be spoilt by these upgrades!
    Flukes
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 20
    Thank you!  :)
  • Great to hear...might actually start using the forums. Wish y'all would switch to XenForo which I would have/would still happily implement for free, but I understand the frustration (but for real, see http://www.311forum.com/ the band 311's now "Official" Bulletin Board, which I deployed a few years ago over a weekend.) Either way, glad the forums are getting some much needed upgrades. Thanks
  • The site is performing really well now!  There were a lot of times I wanted to post but couldn't get the pages to load.

BTW I love the new blog post from @Jim about Better Call Saul and I just noticed that little 'coming soon' scroll on the right - I don't know if it is new but I really like it just saying.
    edited February 26
    @A_Ron_Hubbard  My only complaint, and seriously not a big deal because who needs to see my mug really but I tried changing my profile picture yesterday and now have this fancy blank white square. An upgrade honestly ha
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard  My only complaint, and seriously not a big deal because who needs to see my mug really but I tried changing my profile picture yesterday and now have this fancy blank white square. An upgrade honestly ha
    I'm assuming you've tried re-uploading the image?
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited February 26
    My only complaint, and seriously not a big deal because who needs to see my mug really but I tried changing my profile picture yesterday and now have this fancy blank white square. An upgrade honestly ha
    What are you doin' gettin' all willy nilly with your profile pic during a big forum migration?!?!  :p
    awookieeCapeGabeMurderbearNoel
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Might try it again, @Murderbear, if you did it yesterday morning then it could have gotten twilight zoned, where it got updated in the DB but the image didn't make it over in the migration.
    Great to hear...might actually start using the forums. Wish y'all would switch to XenForo which I would have/would still happily implement for free, but I understand the frustration (but for real, see http://www.311forum.com/ the band 311's now "Official" Bulletin Board, which I deployed a few years ago over a weekend.) Either way, glad the forums are getting some much needed upgrades. Thanks

The problem with most forum solutions is integrating the club into it automatically. We did that with vanilla, and we'd have to do it with any forum software going forward.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    awookiee said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard  My only complaint, and seriously not a big deal because who needs to see my mug really but I tried changing my profile picture yesterday and now have this fancy blank white square. An upgrade honestly ha
    I'm assuming you've tried re-uploading the image?
    “Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
    MurderbearMichelleawookieeCapeGabecdrivebazjensterNoelDoubleA_RonCecily
  • Great to hear...might actually start using the forums. Wish y'all would switch to XenForo which I would have/would still happily implement for free, but I understand the frustration (but for real, see http://www.311forum.com/ the band 311's now "Official" Bulletin Board, which I deployed a few years ago over a weekend.) Either way, glad the forums are getting some much needed upgrades. Thanks

The problem with most forum solutions is integrating the club into it automatically. We did that with vanilla, and we'd have to do it with any forum software going forward.
    Damn, yea thats a very good point. You all seem to have done a fantastic job with the current upgrade and I'll admit my bias against Vanilla was probably shaded by the the less than stellar performance but now it's snappy as hell. Very nice work
    I just tried to upload a screenshot of my profile to show the multiple times I've tried and nothing happened when I uploaded the image here. The blue loading bar came up like normal and then no image. Something seems to be up with the uploading process in general.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I just tried to upload a screenshot of my profile to show the multiple times I've tried and nothing happened when I uploaded the image here. The blue loading bar came up like normal and then no image. Something seems to be up with the uploading process in general.
    Is it possible the image is just either too large or not the right format?
  • I just tried to upload a screenshot of my profile to show the multiple times I've tried and nothing happened when I uploaded the image here. The blue loading bar came up like normal and then no image. Something seems to be up with the uploading process in general.
    I was having some issues uploading images in another thread last night and eventually just settled on uploading to imgbb.com and getting the full link (not the shortened version) and pasting it in the Image URL Entry Field....although, I can't recall if the profile picture entry form has the same format. I just remember getting very frustrated with multiple blue loading bar errors last night but hard linking to an uploaded image seemed to work.

Side Note: I am informing myself on vanilla forums implementation, various plugins, etc. Looks like there is a short  $Config script for allowing easy [img][/img] tagging as well as direct upload in thread preview-ing...take this with a grain of salt tho because I am not well informed on the platform or its implementation here. just some thoughts
    Murderbear
    edited February 26
    Michelle said:

No, if it's too big it tells you it can't upload it. This seems to act like normal and then nothing happens. And I had that thought too about somehow the format being weird and have tried multiple images.
    Michelle
  • Michelle said:

No, if it's too big it tells you it can't upload it. This seems to act like normal and then nothing happens. And I had that thought too about somehow the format being weird and have tried multiple images.
    Can confirm this is not unique to you. Just tried uploading a far less than 2MB jpeg to no avail. I wonder if there is a hard set pixel L x H resolution in addition to the less than 2MB requirement. 
    This better be one hell of a photo @Murderbear
    MichelleMurderbearChinaskiDeecdrivehisdudeness915NoelFlukesbazjensterDummy
    JaimieT said:
    Haha! It's really not!
    Thanks, sounds like something is borked up in the migration with images or the paths or maybe even Apache permissions... I'll look into it over the weekend. 
  • JaimieT said:
    Haha! It's really not!

Man, I bet it's one hell of a salmon.
    Murderbear
  • Big shout out to @A_Ron_Hubbard and everybody else that has done work with getting the forums working better.  You are the real heroes.  
    JaimieTMichelleA_Ron_HubbardTeresa from ConcordNoelcdriveMurderbearbizmarkiefaderFlukes
    Truth