Bald Move Guitar & Gear Nerds!

There's been a few discussions in the music thread, and more recently in the youtube recommendation thread plus a lot of talk on the Discord server among Bald Move's guitar players.  If figured there'd probably be interest in a thread where we can all nerd out over guitars and gear :)

Share your rigs, pedals, guitars etc!  The more pics the better!

cdrive

Comments

• I'll kick things off by posting a pic of my current pedalboard set-up:

The signal goes from my wah to my tuner to the MXR Compressor.  From there it jumps down to the Sentry noise gate.  All of the pedals to the left of the noise gate - the Fuzz Bender, Big Muff, Hot Cake (over drive) and Tumnus (Klon clone) are in a gated loop.  The Sentry is set up just to keep the volume levels consistent and to eliminate hum, which is especially important when I'm playing a guitar with single-coils (I mostly play Jazzmasters and Strats, but one of my JM's has humbuckers in it).  From the Sentry, the signal goes back up to the Boss Chorus and Delay pedals and then finally ends with the Strymon Reverb.

I've got a few other pedals that I sometimes swap in and out.  Sometimes I replace the Big Muff with a JHS Muffuletta, which gives me every Big Muff sound other than the OP Amp sound that I have on my board now.  I also occasionally will swap the Tumnus out for a JHS Bonzai, which clones all of the different models of Tube Screamers.  I've got a Rat too, and my amp (Vox AC15) loves it, but I always struggle with finding a place for it...when I use it, I usually put it in place of the Fuzz Bender...even though I really miss the Fuzz Bender when it's gone.  I've got a Small Clone chorus too, but as much as I love it the Waza Craft Chorus is the absolute best chorus that I've ever heard, so the Small Clone has been relegated to shelf-only status for the last few months.

I've been looking to make some space by getting a multi-effects unit for various types of modulation.  I came close to getting the Boss MD-500 but I didn't really like the setup of it.  I found it a bit of a pain to set up more than one effect at a time and switching between effects wasn't really intuitive (for me).  I also looked at the Keeley Super Mod Workstation Modulation.  I liked the layout and set up of that one and found it a little easier to use, but didn't like some of the sounds.  I like modulation effects to sound really warm...I found these ones sounded a little tinny.

Now I've got my eyes set on this:

It's not exactly a modulation multi-effects pedal, but I can load in all of the TC Electronics modulation pedals and then mess around with them with their Toneprint editor and make them sound exactly the way I want them to.  Also, if I ever want to grab some light gear to play a buddy's house I could take it and use it as a make-shift pedalboard.

DoubleA_RoncdriveTravis
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited February 23
    My other gear...

My main amp is a Vox AC15.  I also recently won a Positive Grid Spark practice amp from a NAMM contest.  I haven't gotten it yet, but it's gotten some good reviews (and a lot of hate from people who pre-ordered it and have had the release date pushed back a few times!).

My guitars...

2011 MiM Strat...added locking tuners and changed the pickups for Pure Vintage '65 ones.  It sounds great, lots of tonal range but has an awesome strat 'quack' sound and does surf tones amazingly well.

2015 MiM Jazzmaster Classic.  Lots of mods...installed a Mastery bridge, changed the pickups to Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's, added locking tuners, upgraded the wiring and pots to Fender USA ones (cloth wiring and CTS pots).

2018 J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster - other than locking tuners, it's stock.

2018 MiM Player Series Jazzmaster - I've modded the hell out of this one, it's not recognizable from when I first bought it!  It came with a pau ferro neck, I ditched it and put an American Professional rosewood neck on it.  I got rid of the stock Fender humbuckers (which were actually pretty decent to be honest) and replaced them with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Set (JB in the bridge, Jazz in the neck), changed the knobs to tele-style barrel knobs (but unlike tele knobs, these ones have a numbered dial around the bottom!), changed the bridge to Mastery bridge, changed the tremolo to a Mastery tremolo, changed the pick-up guard to a custom made one to accommodate the covered pickups, changed all of the wiring, pots and switches to Fender USA ones.  So basically, all that remains from the original guitar is the body :) 

2019 ESP M-200 It's a cheapy shredder type of guitar with a Floyd Rose system and a reverse headstock...pretty much everything that I've always hated, but this one kept calling my name until I finally gave in and bought it.  It's fun to play.  All stock.

2018 American Special Telecaster.  Great guitar, I haven't bonded with it..it's up for sale ATM

My most recent project...I came close to finishing it tonight, but got burned out working on it so I put it aside until tomorrow.  It's a parts-caster Stratocaster...

2019 Eric Clapton Artist Series body, American Professional (rosewood) neck, Ratio locking tuners, Floy Rose Rail Tail trem (Fender drop-in replacement, not the Floyd Rose locking system that people usually think of when they think of Floyd Rose), CTS pots, switchcraft input jack, Fender USA wiring harness, Custom Shop '69 pickups, fully shielded.

I will add pics tomorrow...it's too late/dark to get good pics now.
    cdriveTravisFlukes
    edited February 23
    I found a pic that was already on my computer of the Jazzmaster that I heavily modified:

Early stages of my partscaster build:

cdriveTravisFlukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I’ll nerd out with you! Back in a second. Need to get my pictures in order. 
    CretanBull
    edited February 23
    Pedals:

Little black one is a Blackstone Appliances Mosfet Overdrive. Not seen: EHX Big Muff Op-Amp reissue,  EHX Small Stone, another RAT, a pulled apart Boss Flanger, a Metal Zone that everyone has and no one uses haha, and a little Line 6 Pocket Pod which is a great, versatile little feller. 

Explanation of the 2 custom pedals:

My new guys:
    (You can read about ‘em in the YouTube Recommendations thread) 

CretanBullTravis
    edited February 23
    Guitars:
    My JMJM. Swapped to American vintage fender tremolo. Got the drop in Staytrem bridge from John in the UK. Fender vintage ivory tuners. Cosmetic change outs on the PU covers and knobs. Had a guy in the Midwest paint the head stock and add the vintage lettering. Left the original info on the back cause I’m not ever going to try to screw someone over and pass it as a 60s jazzmaster.  Strap locks hardware on all the electric guitars. 

Gretsch Tennessean.  Really it’s a Tennessee Rose a la George Harrison modified to the Tennessean with TV Jones HiLo-Tron pick ups.  Ibanez Jet King with P-90s. 

96 USA Strat with red blue white lace sensors, Epiphone EL-00 parlor acoustic. Love that little guy. 

Vintage black and gold witch hat knobs on strat, original Tennessean pick guard on Gretach, ‘72 Fender Bronco Vibro Champ swapped in a Weber speaker, no name used snare and floor Tom for simple Moe Tucker / JAMC drumming. 

CretanBullTravisFlukes
    Amps:
    ‘72 Fender Bronco Vibro Champ is my go to. I love how that thing has aged into a really nice tone. 

Fender Pro Jr.
    Mesa Boogie Subway Blues. (The ol’ gigging amp)

PA: Fender Passport P-250. All kinds of mics. Digital 8 track.  

61 key midi controller which I only use to push Scarbee’s W.E.P. amazing reproduction of a Wurlitzer EP200A.  

Also a jumbo black fender 12 string electric acoustic stringed to be 6 that has been sacrificed to the crazy 4 and 7 year old when they want to strum. 

Egg shakers...boys broke my really nice $50 recording tambourine...and a stylophone so I can do the ‘Give all my hollowness to you’ Tall Dwarfs. 
    CretanBullTravis
  • I love that Jet King.  I had a chance to buy one in great shape for $400 (about $300 US) but I was a new guitar player at the time and I didn't realize what a great deal that was.  I was worried about the placement of the fret markers and didn't think that I'd like them because I was still at a point where I had to look directly where I put my fingers when I was playing and I relied heavily on the markers.
    cdriveTravisByrdie
    I love that Jet King.  I had a chance to buy one in great shape for $400 (about $300 US) but I was a new guitar player at the time and I didn't realize what a great deal that was.  I was worried about the placement of the fret markers and didn't think that I'd like them because I was still at a point where I had to look directly where I put my fingers when I was playing and I relied heavily on the markers.
    I’ll take 300.... 
    edited February 25
    More comments:

Mastery is so tight. Solid choice.  And I see those Strymon blue sky pedals a lot recently. It’s intriguing for sure.  I’m feeling woefully under reverbed and under delayed. Looking at some options. Maybe Keeley. I see the flashback a lot. Also looking at the Afterneath.  Also the hall of fame 2 with the shimmer mash is kinda cool.  
  • cdrive said:
    More comments:

Mastery is so tight. Solid choice.  And I see those Strymon blue sky pedals a lot recently. It’s intriguing for sure.  I’m feeling woefully under reverbed and under delayed. Looking at some options. Maybe Keeley. I see the flashback a lot. Also looking at the Afterneath.  Also the hall of fame 2 with the shimmer mash is kinda cool.  
    The Blue Sky has more options than I have use for, but I got a pretty good deal on it...I paid $275 for it when used ones were regularly selling for $350+.  If you really want to delve into reverb, the bigger units like Strymon (Big or Blue Sky), the Boss RV-500, Meris Mercury 7, Ventris etc are the way to go.  For more reasonably priced/practical pedals I like the Hall of Fame 2, THX Oceans 11 and the Digitech Polara (this one is pretty cheap, but it's good and you can get some weird sounds out of it that you might only expect to get out of the bigger boxes).

I'm not big on delay, I only really use it for a little slap-back...the Boss pedal that's on my board does me just fine.  Before that one, I had a MXR Carbon Copy - I liked that too but it got stolen :(

cdriveTravis
    edited February 26
    ^ sucks about your Carbon Copy, sorry to hear about that.  I see those Polara's a lot on this Pedals of Shoegaze Facebook group I got roped into.  Talk about some wild pedalboards.  I'm gonna need to do more research cause a lot of these new options have me wondering what the fuck they're talking about.  Lots of buttons and new terminology. I understand spring, plate, and “how much.” If an amp didn’t have a simple built-in reverb, I always borrowed a Holy Grail off a mate, which is a great “one knob wonder” as the JHS guy so would say, so these new boutique reverb / delay/ looper / hybrids of all 3 are making me go cross-eyed.  

• ar311kryptonar311krypton Tennessee
    edited February 26
    Currently assembling this Custom 22 PRS-style kit guitar. Included a side by side of my S2 Custom 24 for comparison. The neck piece and body were less than $120 and are far better quality than they have any right to be.

My Gear:
    Paul Reed Smith S2 Custom 24 in Whale Blue (USA made with SE electronics)
    Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24 in Sweetwater Music exclusive (supposedly?) Tobacco Sunburst
    Epiphone Les Paul Special II in Dark Gray
    Fender Player Series Telecaster in Surf Pearl
    Yamaha Pawn Shop Shit humbucker and 2 single Strat style clone (maybe a Pacifica?)
    Yamaha RBX170 4 String Bass Guitar (amazing instrument for about $120)

Fender Bassbreaker 15 watt 12" All Tube Combo
    Blackstar HT5 5 watt 12" All Tube Combo
    Vox MV50 "Nu-Tube" mini 50 watt head (sounds amazing and legit has a modern day anode-cathode shrunk flat tube)
    Peavy Vyper 20 watt solid state digital modeling practice amp.
    Fender Mustang Half Stack 4 x 12" Celestion Vintage 30's 
    (Just ordered) Yamaha THR30 Desktop Modeling Amp

FX - I'll just take a pic, have too many with 99% being junk shit with a couple of diamonds like Wampler Tumnus and an amazingly inexpensive Joyo JF02 Ultimate Distortion Pedal with true bypass for $30 which I have been told is an almost exact clone of the $130 FullTone OCD.

CretanBullcdriveTravisFlukes
  • ar311kryptonar311krypton Tennessee
    edited February 26
    So what are everyone's general feelings towards the new extremely high end digital amp modeling hardware like Kemper's line of products...and more recently on the more affordable end of the spectrum is Positive Grid's SPARK amp although I've read the delays are excruciating. I remember trial testing BIAS Amp Modeling VST by Positive Grid and being somewhat impressed, but nothing will ever replace the sound of some 12ax7s and EL84 or 6L6s pre/post into a quality Celestion. Not too informed on these new FRFR amp/speakers for use with digital modeling solutions....thoughts?
    CretanBull
  • @ar311krypton

I really want to put together a kit guitar.  I've put together a couple of parts casters (a jazzmaster and a strat) but I'd love to try starting from scratch.  The strat that I'm putting together now is the first that I've ever tried soldering, and it turned out really well so that's given me some confidence. 

Re: Positive Grid Spark...I won one in a contest.  I'd never heard about it before but when I went to look it up and see what it was all about all I saw was tons of people complaining about the delays.  Literally 2 days after being told that I'd won and was sent an invoice with a shipping date, they sent me a follow-up e-mail saying that my shipping date had been pushed back more than a month.  It's free to me so I'm not too bent out of shape about it, but some people paid for theirs months ago and they were supposed to ship last fall and they still haven't gotten them.  I find it a little curious that (so far) only the smaller youtube channels seem to be getting Sparks sent to them for preview.  It really seems like they're intentionally holding them back from the bigger channels as if they're worried that a bad review from a real influencer will sink them.  We'll see how it goes.

As far as Kempers and other digital modellers, they're the way of the future - no doubt about it.  I think one of the biggest knocks against them is that most people who use them don't use them well and it's giving that whole world a bad name.  I've seen some really high profile youtubers get absolutely horrible sounds out of Kempers, Axe FX etc.  Most viewers assume that these online 'experts' know what they're doing and they get turned off by the technology. 
    cdrivear311krypton
    edited February 26
    Paul Davids gets a great sound out of his...it doesn't sound exactly like his ($3500) amp, but if you only heard the kemper and didn't have a direct A/B sound sample most people wouldn't notice the difference.  I find that when he switches between them, I can hear the difference for about a second then my ears adjust and they sound the same.

ar311krypton
    This is the wackiest idea for a pedal I have ever seen:

CretanBull
  • cdrive said:

I had to check to make sure that it wasn't April 1st today!  
    cdrive
    cdrive said:

I had to check to make sure that it wasn't April 1st today!  
    Right!? Puts a whole different spin on the Pepsi / Coca Cola challenge!   This guy is A/B checking soy sauce! Lol wut 
    CretanBull
  • There's a 99% chance that I'm going to buy one of these just to mess around with it, but I've already got this fear that I'll find a perfect tone and it will be some weird concoction of molasses, honeydew nectarine juice and RC Cola that I'll never be able to replicate the formula for! 
    cdrive
    If I’m going to be holed up eating Ramen for a long period of time I need a nice reverb pedal God dammit!!!

So I went with the HOF 2. I was really impressed with the shimmer setting for the price versus the big sky price. Big sky is the cat’s meow for sure but I can’t justify 4 benjys on a reverb. Don’t think I would ever honestly use a reverse reverb. Plus I love that “mash” feature as an expression to the shimmer. Final selling point was the “tone print” feature where you can load in and customize a bunch of unique settings, even from a phone app that downloads new sounds thru your pick ups.

Reconfigured the whole board today.  Extremely cathartic for me. 

Murderbear
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I don't have a lot to contribute to this thread, but I'm enjoying reading the conversation.

Every year my oldest daughter was in high school, I attended fundraisers in support of the music program. Like most jurisdictions in North America, the arts are underfunded and it falls on families to supplement the budget with fundraising. Each year they do a silent auction night with students preparing and serving hors d'oeuvres and performing. She went to an performing arts magnet school, so these nights are very fun and good entertainment. 

We usually decide how much we're going to donate ahead of time and use that as our budget to bid on items. About four years ago we'd decided to donate $100 but didn't see a lot that we wanted and were quickly outbid on the items we were placed bids on. Near the end of the night, I bid $90 on an Epiphone DR-100 - a truly basic acoustic - on a whim and ended up winning. My only experience playing a stringed instrument at that point was a couple years in my twenties messing around with bass and never getting more than "barely competent". I'd never played a six-string guitar before. So this is the guitar that I learned to play on watching videos from JustinGuitar.com

This guitar was great for me to learn on and I still like having an inexpensive guitar that I don't have to worry about if I take it camping. I did get a Yamaha Pacifica about a year later, but it didn't feel the same drive to play it. It didn't help that I had an infant that was a realliy bad sleeper either.  I ended up selling it and putting the money toward my next purchase. Sorry, but this means I don't have a lot of effects and amps to share. :)

The Ska/Punk kid buried inside me couldn't resist the Tim Armstrong Hellcat Acoustic Electric when I saw it. The design is based on the beat-up 60's era Fender that Armstrong wrote songs for Rancid on back in the day. 

I love the look of this guitar and the details are perfectly and hilariously east bay. I particularly love the hellcat and skull pearl inlays.

So, that's it. My meager contribution to the guitar gear thread. <span>:smile:</span>

cdriveCretanBullMurderbear
  • @cdrive Do you like your big clone box? It's a novel idea for keeping the dirt pedals in line.
    GredalBee said:
    @cdrive Do you like your big clone box? It's a novel idea for keeping the dirt pedals in line.
    Thanks man.  I really like them a lot cause they're sorta one-of-a-kind, boutique-y DIY clones.  I had to make a tough choice in my recent config and kick out the black 3-in-1 cause I just can't part with my rat being in the chain.  But it's fun to stack and blend to chase different tones.  I bought the black one for only $80 and the orange one for only $50.  

Actually thanks to you I dug deep in my gmail and found the guy that sold them to me 7 years ago in a craigslist meet up.  I thought I had  attempted this a few times before years ago without ever finding a way to contact him again but this time I found one email where he gave me his cell.  I'm gonna text him to see if he has any other cool projects and if he is still making pedals.
  • edited March 15
    Yeah, I've been experimenting with stacking since I switched to a Princeton.  I started with my Klones, which sound great as a first gain stage, but certain pedals won't play nice with them.  Now I'm eyeing some of these Dumble boxes at lower gains that could work well for stacking.  Any Simble fans?
    cdrive
    Just talked with John Schenk of Schenkenstein Effects and put in an order for his one knob fuzz.  $60 plus shipping from Mississippi.  I guess he’s bored lately so he’s gonna do a batch of them this week.  Go listen to videos of this thing. It’s so good. And at $60!?! Amazing deal especially if you’re addicted to fuzz. 
    /sigh/ 
    I am never gonna fucking get my Catalinbread/Moseley Fuzz Rite pedal from a dude in Russia off Reverb. God dang Rona and Russia. 
    cdrive said:
    /sigh/ 
    I am never gonna fucking get my Catalinbread/Moseley Fuzz Rite pedal from a dude in Russia off Reverb. God dang Rona and Russia. 
    That sucks...will Reverb offer a refund?

I have a new addition to my guitar family...will post a pic soon :)

• Lost my mexican stratocaster in a robbery back in 2012. Been yearning to pick up this hobby again, I was actually pretty good. 

CretanBullcdrive
    jleav382 said:
    Lost my mexican stratocaster in a robbery back in 2012. Been yearning to pick up this hobby again, I was actually pretty good. 

Sucks that your guitar was stolen :(

I love the whole line of Mexican Fenders - probably the best value for money when it comes to guitars.