Season 7 Wrap Up Podcast!

Hey, thought it might be cool to solicit any opinions or thoughts you all had on the last season, or the series as a whole.  Throw 'em in here or shoot them over to madmen@baldmove.com if you haven't already!

Comments

• AndrewAndrew New York
    I think it's a weird thing where all the main fundamentally "good" characters got bad endings, whereas all of the main "bad" characters got relatively happy endings. (And not in a fisherman's wife kind of way.)

I won't go through the happy endings individually, even though I'm Asian and have unusually supple hands, but Don, Pete, Harry, Teddy, Lou Avery, Cutler, Joan and Peggy all had optimistic endings.  (I know that people will debate me on the merits of Joan and Peggy, but they're both bad in my book.  Joan cheated on her husband, whom she only married because of some silly status symbol of being married to a doctor, and slept her way into a partnership.  Peggy is self-absorbed, selfish, and abandoned her child to further her career.)

On the other hand, Don's kids will likely be raised by their uncle and Sally will have to lose a part of her childhood to help raise them.  Roger, is stuck with a woman who is, as the French say, "crazier than Al Capone near Empire State Building statues, mon ami."  Ken is so far removed from his dream of becoming a writer that he has to recruit someone to write a 10 page script.  And, poor, poor Meredith is back on the job hunt.

I realize that "good" and "bad" are subjective, but Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time. 

JayInMemphisksa1001
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hey, something exciting just happened. An editor that worked on 25 episodes of the show, and had personal contact with Matthew Weiner and who has been a silent fan of the Happy Hour just reached out to us today and offered am interview. His name is Tom Wilson, imdb here:http://m.imdb.com/name/nm2551887/

I have a lot of ideas for things to talk about, but wanted to see is you wanted to pass any questions or comments along as well!
    AndrewJayInMemphisksa1001MichellehypergenesbBrettAmbitiousBukkylauriegood
  • Hey, something exciting just happened. An editor that worked on 25 episodes of the show, and had personal contact with Matthew Weiner and who has been a silent fan of the Happy Hour just reached out to us today and offered am interview. His name is Tom Wilson, imdb here:http://m.imdb.com/name/nm2551887/

I have a lot of ideas for things to talk about, but wanted to see is you wanted to pass any questions or comments along as well!

A_ron that's awesome! Even more pumped for the wrap up cast now!

• edited May 2015
    Since you guys are going to be discussing the series as a whole hopefully during the wrap up cast I thought it would be interesting if you guys talked about any characters whom you would have liked to see again who maybe left the show too early for you or maybe you wanted them to pop up in the final season. Of course for me that character would have to be Sal. Recently saw the episode where he was fired during the AMC marathon and wanted more closure for that character. He tells Don he rejected Lee Garner Jr's advances because he's a bully. Don more than implies that Sal should have just bent over and taken it from him if it meant keeping him happy and dismissively says, "you people." Finally the last time we see Sal he's calling his wife from Central Park telling her he'll be home late and disappears into the forest with other men obviously there tohookup (1960's version of Grindr). Would have been nice to see him come back like Kinsey but I digress.....
    ksa1001DaveyMacAmbitiousBukky
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    I'm not sure why, but I always loved the hook-up Don and Betty had AFTER they divorced (and were both married to others). It was an oddly sweet moment and a rare time they weren't at one another's throats.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 2015

Hey, something exciting just happened. An editor that worked on 25 episodes of the show, and had personal contact with Matthew Weiner and who has been a silent fan of the Happy Hour just reached out to us today and offered am interview. His name is Tom Wilson, imdb here:http://m.imdb.com/name/nm2551887/

That's awesome!   WTG guys!   :)

• edited May 2015
    Very cool news about Tom Wilson. 

Hey I do need to say I think there have been two bad episodes of Mad Men: Mystery Date and this season's New Business. Still can't believe you guys didn't hammer New Business, maybe the inner Mad Men fanboy in you both couldn't bring yourselves to do it? I say that with love, there's an inner Mad Men fanboy in me too. And I thought Mystery Date was nearly universally disliked.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited May 2015
    Millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne/Liberace?

That "/" is covering a lot of ground, ARon.

Totally agree on the Season 6 finale. That's my favorite moment of the series and the lyrics for Both Sides Now we're so perfect to encapsulate that season. It was perfect.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Joni Mitchell also sang "Both Sides Now" but they use Judy Collins' superior version in "In Care Of"

Little
    disappointed Jim had nothing to add to the topic.  Hopefully when you
    guys do the re-watch you will notice some of the standout song
    selections. 

Here are some good links about Mad Men music

http://charliecrews38.hubpages.com/hub/Mad-Men-Season-1-Song-List

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2015/04/07/398036767/a-nearly-comprehensive-guide-to-the-music-of-mad-men?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20150407

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    DrKen said:

Millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne/Liberace?

That "/" is covering a lot of ground, ARon. 

Bob is a man who can cover a lot of ground, what can I say!  BTW, Liberace, in his heyday, was considered the consummate ladies man.  Which, holy shit, that says it all about America's denial of homosexuality in the 60's and 70's. 
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX

DrKen said:

BTW, Liberace, in his heyday, was considered the consummate ladies man.  Which, holy shit, that says it all about America's denial of homosexuality in the 60's and 70's. 

Truth. They would mock this all the time on Opie & Anthony. In his talk show appearances they would ask when he was going to find a nice girl and settle down. 
    AntManBee
  • I have one question for Tom Wilson. Did Baldmove's podcast have anything to do with the writers deciding to put Pete in the LA Tar Pits? It is a very big coincidence!
  • Has anyone seen this tweet from an EW writer from a Writer's Guild Forum Q&A? It's a list of items that Matt Weiner apparently wanted to get to by the end of the show. Pretty interesting. Sal and Dr. Faye are both on there (neither crossed off obviously) 

Brett
  • BrettBrett Las Vegas, NV
    My favorite two end-song moments are Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" playing while Pete smoked a joint in the writer's bull pen and Vanilla Fudge's version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" playing while Don shivered on Checkov's balcony.  Although I'm not a big fan of either of those songs, I love how they fit with the closing images of those episodes.
  • Brett said:

My favorite two end-song moments are Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" playing while Pete smoked a joint in the writer's bull pen and Vanilla Fudge's version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" playing while Don shivered on Checkov's balcony.  Although I'm not a big fan of either of those songs, I love how they fit with the closing images of those episodes.

Yes, that Janis one with Pete smoking is a standout.  Good call on Vanilla Fudge's version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" I forgot about that scene and had to go re-watch it.  Excellent selection.