Better Call Saul 5/01 - Magic Man SPOILERS

2»

Comments

• I’m bummed Aron isn’t doing the cast... *but*... Bald Move has delivered so, so much quality content to me... for free... I can’t help but just be happy for them that they’ve gotten to this point: Bald Move can make potentially unpopular decisions in order to preserve Jim and Aron’s (and Cecily and Alexis’s) quality of life. 

They’ve earned it.
    UnderwoodDoubleA_Ron
  • Kyle said:
    Jim. I've been a long time BM fan (back before you guys were doing this full time.) Ive got to say that what you're saying would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that y'all are starting another podcasting network with multiple shows. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed swizzbowl, I'm glad y'all are doing it. But it's hard to accept "we're doing too many podcasts and are miserable" and "we're starting a new network with more podcasts". I think this is why folks are frustrated. Y'all have been covering the Breaking Bad universe for over a decade, and all of a sudden Aron isnt on the BCS show. That's a major bummer.
    Swizzbold and Bald Move are entirely different beasts, even though it might not seem like it. I'm almost entirely behind the scenes on Swizzbold, which is a welcome change.
    Michelleawookiee
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 2020
    Very much enjoyed Alexis on the cast. 

• It strikes me as very strange that Gus would ever show a Salamanca the lab site, even if there was some explaining to do.....
  • My issue with all of this change is how abrupt and fast it felt . Like with the new pope coverage , Jim was there one episode then he wasn't there the next , with no explanation of what happened . Same with better call Saul , I don't think it was mentioned anywhere that Aron won't be covering the show until the latest episode of lunch . Seems like these decisions were made on the fly , or if they weren't there wasn't a advanced notice to the community from BM . Either way am on board with any coverage BM puts out
  • Like what’s with the change to the podcast?  I don’t get it. Does not feel the same at all.
    Agreed. I really only subscribe because I like the conversations that Aron and Jim have together on shows, regardless of whether they like the show or not. I sometimes don’t even watch the show and just listen to your takes on it. Jim and Aron covering shows together is integral for me. I get if there’s a new show, different hosts sure. But to change one that’s part of a Jim and Aron classic (BB) feels wrong. And too be honest, I don’t even like better call Saul, I was only willing to watch it to listen to Jim and Aron talk about it. Very disappointed I’m sorry to say. I do hope it works out for you guys, just expressing how I feel. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Jim I just listened to 502.  Please don't be dissuaded or disappointed by the negative feedback.  Alexis is a breath of fresh air and I really like the energy she's bringing and you're awesome as always.  You two have great chemistry.  Keep it up.  :)
    UnderwoodSchluppDeeChinaskiAww_PHuuCk
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Just listened to both episodes. Aron will be missed of course, but I think Alexis is doing a great job in his place! As others have said, Alexis and Jim obviously have great chemistry. Looking forward to the rest of the season with these two. 
    DeeChinaski
  • Kyle said:
    Jim. I've been a long time BM fan (back before you guys were doing this full time.) Ive got to say that what you're saying would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that y'all are starting another podcasting network with multiple shows. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed swizzbowl, I'm glad y'all are doing it. But it's hard to accept "we're doing too many podcasts and are miserable" and "we're starting a new network with more podcasts". I think this is why folks are frustrated. Y'all have been covering the Breaking Bad universe for over a decade, and all of a sudden Aron isnt on the BCS show. That's a major bummer.
    I hear that, I too have been listening since 2013. Actually Alexis is doing a much better job than I anticipated, she seems a lot more positive about the show than Aaron but I would be lying if I didn't say I miss the big fellow. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I'm sure we all miss Aron, the familiar, infectious voice that we've grown to trust over the years.

That said, I was just listening to the preview cast and have no complaints.  Jim's familiar voice is still there, and Alexis (whose voice isn't completely unfamiliar to me due to the HDM cast) seems upbeat and positive.

I've long thought that podcasting duos are similar to sports commentator duos (particularly baseball), at least to me.  If you watch a lot of games with a team you tend to get quite familiar with them, and when one changes it changes the feel of the whole game.  Eventually, you get used to the "newb" and it's just like how it was before.
    awookiee
  • Jim said:
    Here's the deal with A.Ron not being on the show...
    I’m not gonna lie, I just watched the first ep and was just about as excited to listen to the podcast on my drive home. I got unreasonably pissed when the new host was introduced, like, “Who’s this?!? Where’s MY aron!” I just shut it off. I was ready to storm the forum with a fiery, unsolicited opinion.

But then I got home and smoked a bowl and put it back on and I liked it?

It’s definitely just a different vibe. Aron and Jim kind of have a buddy comedy thing going where the former will say something hilarious and often perhaps outlandish, and the latter kind of levels it out and beings the focus back to the show. It’s a good, classic comedy duo dynamic. That’s what I was expecting and wanting to hear when I drove home.  Within that dynamic Jim kind of plays the “straight man,” and without Aron there, I was almost not literally yelling at my car radio, “This isn’t funny! There can’t be two straight men!”

But in a somewhat more chilled out atmosphere and state of mind, I found myself better able to appreciate the depth of Jim’s analysis of the episode. Some really good shit like the “south wall” callback and noting Gus’ reference of Verner taking two kilos, as Hector had? Kudos for catching those and thank you for pointing it out!  Likewise, while Aron’s boisterously humorous observations might play better when I’m yelling at traffic, Alexis’ often drily witty interludes actually play better when I’m stoned sitting on the couch.

So, yeah, I’m definitely here for the new team.  I just won’t listen to it while I’m driving. None of this is meant to sound reductive, by the way, I’m just not very adept at saying nice things.  

Thanks for the podcast. I might even sign up for the club again. I think I did briefly at one time but then cancelled it because of some overly-stringent password requirement? Is that still a thing, club members? Am I getting off topic?

blacksunrise7