Altered Carbon Season 2

Anyone watching?

I'm not really sold yet. I got mostly through episode 2 but caught myself background watching and getting lost so I'll revisit later. I think Anthony Mackie could be good (he's definitely got the badass part down), but I feel like with the re-sleeve/recast they almost have to reintroduce the character to make us connect emotionally, only we already have his backstory. It's working a little bit having him interact with Poe. but the rest of the completely new cast is doing nothing for me so far.
bazjenster

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 28
    I'm apparently shallow and I'm not interested in following this show with a new actor. I'm already mourning the loss of my boo James Purefoy. Only rave reviews would bring me back.
    bazjensterSchluppBroRad33alexander.klassen
  • Pretty much in the same boat here.
    I had really high hopes for season one and it was just a mess. They should have kept that asian actor in the beginning for the main character. I barely remember the story and I am not very motivated to watch season 2 until I hear good things about it.
    Elisa
  • @JaimieT I get it. It's weird, in the story world the recast makes the most sense, but it seems like such a handicap from a storytelling perspective. You get three Takeshi's portrayed in season one but they all get to work on this narrative that's driven by his backstory. Season two we know the narrative but it's got no connection to this actor. Add on to that a whole new cast and it's almost like an anthology, only your protagonist's backstory is a rehash.
    JaimieTElisa
    edited February 28
    @JaimieT I get it. It's weird, in the story world the recast makes the most sense, but it seems like such a handicap from a storytelling perspective. You get three Takeshi's portrayed in season one but they all get to work on this narrative that's driven by his backstory. Season two we know the narrative but it's got no connection to this actor. Add on to that a whole new cast and it's almost like an anthology, only your protagonist's backstory is a rehash.

It's something that would work great in a novel but is terrible for a visual medium.

Now I'm wondering what the novel equivalent would be, of changing your main actor. I think the novel equivalent would be drastically altering the style of the novel... For instance, if novel 1 was written in first person and then in novel 2, you write it like a Jane Austen book, with a lot of distance from the character's thoughts and a narrator voice. No good writer would do that. Maybe an exceptional writer could pull it off, but they would be aware of the trouble they're giving themselves and how hard they're going to have to work against it. Which is such a rare case, that it's easier for me to think the TV writers don't know what they're doing and wait for rave reviews to prove me wrong.

edited February 28
    But god damn, that first season. And I got James Purefoy as a smarmy villain, which I have always wanted more than life itself. That was the same year I got Paul Bettany as a villain in Solo. What a year!

No matter what happens with this show, somewhere, for some reason, a casting director was in sync with me about James Purefoy. For the first time I was not alone.

Haha. Fucking great season of TV.
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    @JaimieT did you ever see the show The Following?  It was on Fox for a few seasons awhile back, but James Purefoy played the charismatic leader of a murder cult.  Kevin Bacon was also a lead in the show.  It was a bit B-rate, but James Purefoy's performance was on point.

Brieanne said:
    @JaimieT did you ever see the show The Following?  It was on Fox for a few seasons awhile back, but James Purefoy played the charismatic leader of a murder cult.  Kevin Bacon was also a lead in the show.  It was a bit B-rate, but James Purefoy's performance was on point.

Yeah, I need to check that out. Thank you.
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    In the middle of Episode 3 and I think I'm going to bail. First of all I don't like the way the damn thing looks. Too much shadow with bright lights in your face (to hide cheap sets?). Too many goddamn face closeups, and things always look like they're shot a little off-kilter. The look of the thing has a kind of shallow, noir-ish Buck Rogers feel, and the world-building feels half-baked. Flashy and perhaps amusing, but shallow. And, dear God, the acting is terrible. Carrera and Lady Governor. Yikes. And the dialog isn't much better, like the writer is trying to make everyone sound smart and clued-in, but can't quite pull it off. And everything is dreary faux-Blade Runner gray, and if it's not raining all the time it looks like it wants to be. 
  • I just finished Season 2 and it was OK. Where Season 1 was close to the book this one pulled a Bourne Identity and used none of the book. What they did wasn't bad and I hope it gets a Season 3, with a better budget, because I like the world. There are many storytelling opportunities in it.

As in the 1st season Poe is the best character. 

bazjensterElisa
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I'm not a fan of Mackie, I always think he's just kind of there and doesn't really add very much.  I'm very skeptical on watching this.  

He and S. Stan are the reason I'm so blah on the Falcon/winter soldier series.  I just think they have zero charisma especially compared to the actor/character they are going to be constantly compared to in that entire series.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen Mackie in a lot of stuff and he doesn't do it for me. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I also completed season 2 and it was much better story and plot than season 1.  It was definitely more coherent.  That said, I enjoyed the history of stacks and Harlan's world.  I thought there was a lot of awesome fights a la the matrix. It was entertaining and fun. And Renee Goldsberry and Simone Missick were bad asses.  I like what it has to say about fluidity, race, identity and gender as well.
  • Watched all of Altered Carbon season 2 over the weekend. Definitely isn't as strong as the 1st season in my opinion and  I think that has mostly to do with the story that was told. It just wasn't very compelling. I thought Anthony Mackie did a good job on the acting side of it and I'm curious to see where this series goes with the way it was left or if there was enough negative feedback that Netflix doesn't keep going with it.