Food Network: Tournament of Champions (Spoilers)

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
started tonight and hosted by Guy Fieri (love him or hate him, he's a standup dude imo). there's some great chefs in the mix. love that my fav of the bunch is a #1 seed! Antonia Lofaso is a bad ass! always have been a fan of her and her cooking. i'm a sucker for a good cooking competition show so def looking forward to this.

here's the cast for those that care:

DeeMichelle

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m starting to suspect you might be a bit obsessed with food... 
    MichelleChinaski
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:
    started tonight and hosted by Guy Fieri (love him or hate him, he's a standup dude imo). there's some great chefs in the mix. love that my fav of the bunch is a #1 seed! Antonia Lofaso is a bad ass! always have been a fan of her and her cooking. i'm a sucker for a good cooking competition show so def looking forward to this.

here's the cast for those that care:

Whoa!  I had no idea this was going on and that Antonia was competing!  Between this and Top Chef starting soon I'm in foodie heaven.  :smile:

And yeah, I agree about Guy Fieri,  He grew up in Humboldt and we see him around occasionally if something big's happening (fair or festival of some kind, usually), and what he's done for the Cali fire victims and first responders has been truly selfless and very giving.  He's a good guy, just an extreme personality on tv.
    Chinaski
    Okay, I just looked at the list of competing chefs for Tournament of Champions and wow!  There is a LOT of talent in that lineup.  I kind of sat up and took notice seeing some of these names, then saw Michael Voltaggio and *then* Richard Blais?!?!??  I'm so in on this.  Thanks @Chinaski for letting us know!
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    haha slightly.

so after Ep 1 i'm all in. really enjoyed it. total ego check to some of these chefs (of course Brooke was all butthurt with her seed). already can't wait for next weeks episode!
    Michelle
    edited March 6
    Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    haha slightly.

so after Ep 1 i'm all in. really enjoyed it. total ego check to some of these chefs (of course Brooke was all butthurt with her seed). already can't wait for next weeks episode!
    I know, right?  But she wasn't the only one - Blais was like "how am I a 5th seed??? :angry: "  But when you look at who's in the 1-4 slots it makes sense.  Are we doing spoilers here?  Because I was floored by the results of the final competition of the episode! :astonished:
    Chinaski
    Are we doing spoilers here?  Because I was floored by the results of the final competition of the episode! :astonished:
    i mean, i labeled it 'spoilers' but i pumped the brakes in case folks jumped in w/out knowing. i don't see why not at this point tbh. so on that note.. wow! on alex guarnaschelli!! hence my 'total ego check to some of these chefs' comment haha.
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    i mean, i labeled it 'spoilers' but i pumped the brakes in case folks jumped in w/out knowing. 
    Oh, yeah, I totally saw that....! :wink:  (I so missed it, lol)

Chinaski said:
    so on that note.. wow! on alex guarnaschelli!! hence my 'total ego check to some of these chefs' comment haha.
    I was shocked that Alex lost!  I did notice she does have a bit of an ego, but maybe it's just super confidence in her talent.  But I couldn't believe he beat her by *one* point!
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:

I was shocked that Alex lost!  I did notice she does have a bit of an ego, but maybe it's just super confidence in her talent.  But I couldn't believe he beat her by *one* point!
    i knew as soon as she said 'quesadilla', she was doomed. but yeah i was surprised too by that upset. also, not gonna lie.. i was a little nervous with Lofaso and Marcel match-up  :# 

in addition to good chefs, looks like the judges that are going to be on are legit too.
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

i knew as soon as she said 'quesadilla', she was doomed. but yeah i was surprised too by that upset. also, not gonna lie.. i was a little nervous with Lofaso and Marcel match-up  :# 

in addition to good chefs, looks like the judges that are going to be on are legit too.
    Oh I for sure was on pins n needles with Antonia & Marcel.  Both dishes got incredible reviews.  And yeah, they started off strong with the judges this first episode.  Curtis Stone & Marcus Samuelsson??? For some reason I couldn't place the woman though.   
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    And yeah, they started off strong with the judges this first episode.  Curtis Stone & Marcus Samuelsson??? For some reason I couldn't place the woman though.   
    i've seen and or heard of Nancy Silverton before, but i can't seem to remember when, she reminded me of Edna from the Incredibles.
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    And yeah, they started off strong with the judges this first episode.  Curtis Stone & Marcus Samuelsson??? For some reason I couldn't place the woman though.   
    i've seen and or heard of Nancy Silverton before, but i can't seem to remember when, she reminded me of Edna from the Incredibles.
    Haha, you nailed it! 

Chinaski
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I really really really need Brooke to lose first time out.
    Chinaski
    I really really really need Brooke to lose first time out.
    haha like i mentioned, she looked so salty when she got get seed. she comes off so entitled.
    Michelle
    i had no idea other chefs didn't know what happened the previous week. even better!
    I missed last night (was in the ER with my dad), so I'll have to catch up tonight.  I'm eager to see who goes home next & who moves on!
    Michelle said:
    I missed last night (was in the ER with my dad), so I'll have to catch up tonight.  I'm eager to see who goes home next & who moves on!
    hope your dad is doing ok.

Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

Thanks! :)  Time to catch up on this week's show!
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

Thanks! :)  Time to catch up on this week's show!
    do it! your boy Richard Blais this week. as well as my #2 fav (in this comp) after Antonia, Amanda Freitag!

Michelle
    edited March 13
    Chinaski said:
    do it! your boy Richard Blais this week. as well as my #2 fav (in this comp) after Antonia, Amanda Freitag!

Yassss!  If it's down to Blais v. Antonia at the end... :grimace:

And wow, that randomizer is brutal.
    edited March 13
    Speaking of carrots, the new Sweet Carrot Goldfish veggie crackers are *:kissing_heart:*.
    Chinaski
    NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling:

Chinaski
    edited March 13
    I'm so upset Richard Blais was eliminated.  Who do I root for now??
    Why isn't Kevin Gillespie in this?  He'd be my #1 choice followed by Blais.
    I'm so team Kevin once Top Chef starts next week! 
    Chinaski
    haha i knew Blais losing would cut you deep. he was just all scatterbrained and seemed very unprepared (similar to Guarnaschelli). that deep fried broccoli just looked like a greasy mess.

like i mentioned earlier, some major ego checks on this show. Mark Murphy looked noticeably bummed.
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    haha i knew Blais losing would cut you deep. he was just all scatterbrained and seemed very unprepared (similar to Guarnaschelli). that deep fried broccoli just looked like a greasy mess.

like i mentioned earlier, some major ego checks on this show. Mark Murphy looked noticeably bummed.
    Yeah, agreed about that fried broccoli.  I was even like "eesh, really??".  I think that  killed it for him, 'cause they did like his lamb burgers.  Oh, another chef I love who I wish was in this just 'cause he's such a sweet guy and seems to be an amazing chef is Sheldon Simeon.  I'd go to Hawaii just to eat his food (then maybe the beach afterward, lol).

Still trying to figure out who I want to root for now.  Mayyyyyyybe Antonia...?
    Chinaski
    Sheldon is the absolute man! that guy is great!
    Michelle
    edited March 13
    I might have linked this before, but Blais sat down for a discussion with him on his podcast.  It's really, really good. (Skip to about 18:30 for the start.)
    https://podcastone.com/episode/Chef-Sheldon-Simeon

He also sat down with Antonia & Jet Tila. :smile:
    https://podcastone.com/episode/ANTONIA-LOFASO--JET-TILA
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    I might have linked this before, but Blais sat down for a discussion with him on his podcast.  It's really, really good. (Skip to about 18:30 for the start.)

oh nice! never listened to any of these (or knew about). i'll def be checking out. thanks for sharing!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:

oh nice! never listened to any of these (or knew about). i'll def be checking out. thanks for sharing!
    yw! :)
    You're gonna love Sheldon's episode.  He's such a cool guy.
    Chinaski
    wow! that Brooke n Voltaggio battle. loved it!

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Chinaski said:
    wow! that Brooke n Voltaggio battle. loved it!

wrong person won  :( But go Maneet! 
    Chinaski