DEVS

fidozfidoz Houston
Anyone else in on this show? Loved the first two episodes. 
Elisa

Comments

• Yeah, I’m watching it. Come for the Nick Offerman, stay for the super creepy giant child statue. 
    Elisa
  • Both episodes so far are good! Love the creepy tone, the cinematography and music all around. I was pleasantly surprised that they (sort of) dove into what Devs is actually doing as soon as EP2... (I guess I have been conditioned by Westworld season 2). 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited March 9
    Omg this is so good. I am a big fan of Ex Machina and Annihilation so I had to check this out. 

Quantum Computing, Crazy Silicon Valley Top Dog, Predictive Theory, Spies.  If you guys like Mr Robot or Westworld, I would definitely give this a look. 

Dee
  • Elisa said:
    Omg this is so good. I am a big fan of Ex Machina and Annihilation so I had to check this out. 

Quantum Computing, Crazy Silicon Valley Top Dig, Predictive Theory, Spies.  If you guys like Mr Robot or Westworld, I would definitely give this a look. 

Haven't heard anything about this show, but I think you sold me. :)
    Elisa
  • Really digging this so far. Alex Garland is quite the director. This could go so many ways. Stoked to see where they take it. 
    ElisaNatter Cast
  • As soon as I heard Alex Garland was behind this I was interested.  I'll be signing up for Hulu here in the next day or so. 
    Elisaken hale
  • This show is right in Jim and A.Ron's wheelhouse. Two episodes in and I'm hooked! It's giving me Mr. Robot and Westworld vibes, and I love that. Hopefully they have some time to check it out!
    Elisa
  • I really want to check it out but I can't until this season of Westworld is over. There's no way I want both of those shows rattling around in my head for the next 10 weeks.
    awookieeTeresa from ConcordNoelElisaSheenVT
  • I'm digging it; I cannot image it with commercials, so HULU is the ticket for me.  Offerman is inscrutable!  Gorgeous visuals, and it's 'quiet' while still having plenty of action.  I'm hooked.
    Elisa
  • Couple thoughts, perhaps very stupid, definitely SPOILERS

Lab in a floating box, but there's a toilet and sink in it.  No cleaners allowed. BYOToiletpaper.  Nevermind.  Technogods!

The apparent protagonist (?) is distractingly wooden in her affectations.  Kind of intentional, I'm sure, as most of the actors are, but you gotta make me feel something here.

Generally speaking, I'm having a hard time taking this show seriously, to the point that I can't tell if I'm even supposed to.  Offerman shoveling spinach barehanded into his mouth is laugh out loud funny, but so was him and the security guy's little routine in front of Lily, as was the self-immolation.  Is this a straight-up comedy?

Those major issues I'm having with it aside, it's very beautiful and effectively haunting and I am watching the second episode immediately, so.
    Elisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    dang, really wanted to watch this but don't have Hulu anymore. thought it'd be on FX too. lame.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I tried getting into the first episode but just couldn't.  I did appreciate the UC Santa Cruz setting though (even though they're not saying it's UCSC).

Too bad you ditched your Hulu, @Chinaski. :wink:
    ken hale
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Go banana slugs!  #UCSantaCruz
    Chinaski
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Is that supposed to be Santa Cruz? I imagined it was supposed to be a stand in for the Mountain View Google or Apple complexes
    Is that supposed to be Santa Cruz? I imagined it was supposed to be a stand in for the Mountain View Google or Apple complexes
    It was filmed at UC Santa Cruz, but  it's just supposed to be set somewhere outside of SF.  I don't think they intended for it to actually be Santa Cruz that they travelled to.
    bizmarkiefaderChinaskiElisaken hale
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Michelle said:
    It was filmed at UC Santa Cruz, but  it's just supposed to be set somewhere outside of SF.  I don't think they intended for it to actually be Santa Cruz that they travelled to.
    wow, really? i had no idea!  filmed where i live and set where i work. now i really wanna check out.

Elisa
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    wow, really? i had no idea!  filmed where i live and set where i work. now i really wanna check out.

If you're in software development or super techy, this should be right up your alley!
    Chinaski
  • Got around to watching the first two and now I'm hooked. This show is right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation! 
    Elisa
  • Watched the first one, I'm hooked. Be back when I catch up!
    Elisa
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I watched the available episodes and am looking forward to the rest.  It would be nice if Bald Move covered the show.  It's a slow burn but interesting.  Normally I stay away from tech/computer shows like this but it's sufficiently [self-censored for spoilers] to not bother me.
    ElisaGiovanni
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    Anyone know of any DEVS podcasts out there other than afterbuzz (which is constantly terrible for every show) Thanks. Stay safe and healthy! 
    George
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Anyone know of any DEVS podcasts out there other than afterbuzz (which is constantly terrible for every show) Thanks. Stay safe and healthy! 

The Watch is doing weekly segments on it. It's mostly impressions though, not really in depth recaps or theorizing or anything like that
    ElisaMichaelVCassidy
  • have watched the first four episodes and have liked it well enough.
    hoping for more Alison Pill in the upcoming episodes (underutilized, so far, in my opinion.
    it's "only" 8 episodes, so, hoping they can start really exploring the ideas they've set up now...
    Elisa
  • Episode 4 was excellent. This show is sooooo good. I love how quiet and lingering it is. They do an excellent job building tension in just about every scene. I'm always worried that someone is lurking in the shadows of some inevitable doom is right around the corner. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The multiverse views or multiple timelines views were fantastic. 
  • Jim said:
    I really want to check it out but I can't until this season of Westworld is over. There's no way I want both of those shows rattling around in my head for the next 10 weeks.
    I wish you guys were covering this show! You help me understand Westworld, I could use your help with this one too
    Elisa
  • I wish they were covering it, seriously so up their alley.
    Elisa
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    Started this last night and couldn’t stop - very well done stuff. I think it’s more intriguing that West World.    
    Elisa
  • I'm loving Nick Offerman in this. and Kenton, so different from his role on the good wife. 
    Elisa
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    This show is the shit. I’m so happy to have a show about present/future tech that isn’t predicted on timeline deception or mental health distorting reality. Or is it??? 

Devs > Mr Robot > West World.

ElisaGiovanni