E3 looks like it will be cancelled

Looks like everybody but the people behind E3 have already been keyed in on E3 being cancelled this year.  That's too bad although I'm sure most of the big news will do some kind of presentation on their own. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/11/21163570/e3-canceled-coronavirus-outbreak-xbox-nintendo

Comments

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    This may be a good time for E3 to re-evaluate. Each year, more and more companies drop out in favor of their own shows and based on what I've read online, the fan experience had also dropped off. Maybe they can determine if E3 is really necessary and how they can reset and gain excitement behind the conference again
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Even before this E3 was more irrelevant than ever. This felt like a make or break year for them with new consoles coming out and after the shitshow last year with the security leaks, bleak show floor, and general pointlessness around the whole event. Only part I'm going to miss about this is the Giant Bomb night show.
    MurderbearJim
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Officially canceled now.

Definitely bummed about no Giant Bomb @ Nite this year. Hopefully they will still do something? But they were talking on yesterday's Bombcast that they won't be allowed in the office for a while so I am curious what that will look like for the foreseeable future.
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @Murderbear I wouldn't expect much unfortunately, they're definitely not going to make people travel or anything like that if the world is still on fire in June. I'm kind of hoping since everyone is remoting anyway that maybe it'll open up some of their regular content to guests they don't normally have since they're so big on in person. That and a full Vinny XCOM 2 WotC run.
    Murderbear
  • Yeah, E3 (the ESA?) is in real trouble. I'm not sure they'll survive this. If I were them, I'd spend the next 3 months working with publishers and developer to try to turn this year's event into an online streaming event to test the waters for an evolved version of E3. With this year's event already cancelled, the stakes will never be lower. I don't necessarily think it would work but what they've been doing the past few years hasn't been working either.