Shaun of the Dead

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
Haven't seen anyone create this yet.

thought number 15 was really interesting. as a zed head this is a classic with at least a once a year viewing. 
AntManBee

Comments

• I haven't finished listening to the podcast, but I was really happy to learn about this Cornetto Trilogy. Now I have to watch the other two.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    enjoy! my personal ranking is 
    1. shaun
    2. fuzz
    3. worlds end

but each is good in its own way and pilgrimizes a certain genre. 
  • edited May 2015
    These are 3 of my fav films. I really love Edgar Wright's style and the writing is spot on. Another little tidbit is that Father Christmas in Hot Fuzz was played by Peter Jackson. I rank the films
    Shaun
    World's End
    Hot Fuzz
  • StephenStephen New York
    I enjoyed the observations on Ed's permanently arrested development at the movie's end, but he isn't the only counterproductive force that is neutralized. Ed and Pete are what threaten to lure Shaun away from his true self (and Liz), while Dianne and David perform the same function for Liz vis a vis Shaun. Raging Pete represents a dutiful but joyless approach to adulthood. He wants Shaun to partake of his occupational misery, with nothing to recommend it but his car, which Ed trashes at the first opportunity to drive the Jaguar in an id-driven (or ED-driven) sendup of upward mobility. Pete is eliminated. Pretentious David represents the allure of unrealistic and grandiose pursuits, while Dianne's passivity speaks for itself. (It's no accident that Dianne is a failing actress, and their love, itself, is a sham.) With all of these peripheral, distractive forces rendered inert by the zed words, Shaun and Liz are free to be their true working class adult selves, with both making compromises to their former lifestyles and ostensible ambitions to accommodate each other.
    HatorianAntManBeeA_Ron_Hubbard
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited May 2015
    One of my favorite movies, still enjoy it, never fails to amaze me with the complexity and dexterity of it's comedy.

I never saw the ending as bleak. How I read it was, we all want to make something more out of our lives, do something amazing. Shaun scribbles in a drunken stupor one night "Sort your fucking life OUT!"  Then the zombie attack happens, and these people are thrown into the most unbelievable, adrenaline filled adventure of their lives, there are the highs of triumph and the lows of loss, but they make it out alive. In the end, Shaun and Liz are happy because they have lived through the craziest thing that will ever happen to them and now they have a newfound appreciation for even the quaint things in life. They had that before, but they couldn't appreciate it. They lived through a fucking zombie attack, they are not worried that every day without an advenure is a day wasted. 

Also, everyone who has a passing respect for Edgar Wright should watch this. It's called "Edgar Wright - How to Do Visual Comedy"  It articulates what I have always thought about Edgar Wright, it's not just that he makes funny movies, it's that he does not let ONE opportunity pass him by without thinking how it could be used comedically.

Also, agree with A.Ron  Hot Fuzz, Shaun, World's End
    Hatorianghm3
  • Dogs can't look up.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The flipbook scene alone skyrockets Hot Fuzz to the number 1 spot.
    AmbitiousBukky
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Fuzz was BRUTAL!!! I tried watching it twice and fell aslee both times. ❤️ Shaun and the end
  • I was thrilled to see Shaun of the Dead pop up in the feed as I love the Cornetto Trilogy. I recently had a re-watch marathon of it with some friends and I appreciate these films more every time I see them. For more on the arrested adolescence theme I'd also recommend their earlier tv series, Spaced. You can see the germs for a lot of the stuff in Cornetto and a lot of great nerd pop culture references/homages throughout. Plus, Simon Pegg's character in Spaced has a great Star Wars Prequels freak-out that many people who hate the prequels would enjoy. 

Also just wanted to say that there was an interesting blog entry recently from Simon Pegg responding to some criticism of recent comments he made in an interview with Radio Times. It deals a lot of the the theme of growing up and what that means in today's culture. 
  • JimJim
    edited May 2015
    A lot of really good points in this thread.

We didn't talk about Pete, David, or Dianne very much, though I wish we had.  @Stephen I agree with you that David / Dianne are pulling Liz away from Shaun but I don't see it as anything more than a conflict designed to inject drama into the plot.  I think your other point about Ed and Pete being on extreme opposite sides of maturity scale is great though.  It's fitting that they both become zombies in the end since neither of them has a balanced life to begin with and both seem to be perfectly content with that.

@aberry89 Maybe it's my cold, black heart that keeps me from seeing the ending as particularly cheerful, or maybe it's that I'm a guy who is approaching the middle of his life and doesn't yet want to relinquish the adventurous, ambitious part of it, but I do like the way you summed it up.  Also, thanks for linking that video about directing comedies and putting a point on what makes Wright such an amazing director.  It's something I always felt while watching his stuff but could never articulate.
    Stephen
  • @DaveyMac  I've seen the obvious commercialization of nerd culture happening over the years but haven't given it much thought.  Seems like Pegg has.  I read the article though and think he's right on.  It's the reason I don't like the Star Trek reboot or most of the modern super hero movies; the brains of those movies have all been pulled out and replaced with flashy visuals.  There are exceptions which I think Pegg would probably agree with.  Watchmen, for instance.  I'd love to see more movies like that being made; ones that encourage the audience to think about what they believe and why instead of just cheering on the good guy because...
    DaveyMac
  • @Jim Yeah I really liked a lot of what Pegg had to say in that piece and I totally agree with you the Star Trek reboot and Marvel and most action movies released in the past decade or so. I wonder what Pegg is going to do with the next Star Trek. He clearly sees the recent trends as a big problem and has even been a part of it to some degree since he was in the two Star Trek reboots. I wonder how much control he actually has in the writing of the next one, or if the big machine will swallow up anything of substance he tries to put in. 

There's another great essay I read recently by Film Crit Hulk, where he basically argues that a big problem with blockbusters now is that they function as just a big pleasure button that people are hitting over and over again and that all the rough edges and real human/societal problems have been whittled away so that audiences aren't challenged at all (basically what you said about audiences not having think about what they believe).  He also points out that most of the time now you have awesome heroes doubting themselves for some bullshit reasons before realizing they are awesome again so that they can save the world. And, yeah there are certainly exceptions (this year's Ex Machina being another example), but they seem to be few and far between. I just hope the pendulum starts to swing back in that direction. 
  • I also had a couple of quick comments on the Shaun cast. I loved when you guys talked about the lack of use of the word "zombie" in modern zombie films. I just had a conversation with a friend a few weeks back about how frustrating it is when, in fictional worlds that seem to be very much the world we live in, characters have no knowledge the Romero films or Resident Evil games, etc. I think it would be so much more interesting/realistic if characters have an active awareness of pop culture. 

And lastly, on the point of the quick cuts, I know it's a technique that he uses in all of his films, but there's an interesting bit of commentary on the Hot Fuzz Blu-ray where they talk about how the heightened, quick-cut scenes of Nicholas Angel doing paperwork came about because the police officers they interviewed for the film said they never saw the paperwork process dramatized in movies and the editing style of those scenes was inspired by Tony Scott's editing in Domino.  
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I think the reason that zombie movie fims leave out the fact that everyone knows what a zomboe is, is because the world wide outbreak requires people to be ignorant of the problem until it is too late.

Like if a zombie virus actually did start now, there is no way it would topple humanity. Too many people know what needs to be done to stop an outbreak. Heck even the CDC jokingly has posted stuff about what to do.
    HatorianRaiyneAntManBee
  • I would advise you to beg/steal/borrow the Spaced box set anyway you can. Wright, peg and frost cut their teeth on these two seasons of utter brilliance
    DaveyMac
  • edited May 2015
    Hot Fuzz is on Netflix. I never noticed the homage to The Shining when Simon checks into the hotel at the beginning. Also just found this

http://www.bustedtees.com/bloodandicecream
  • That's a sweet tee.  I'm gonna have to pick one up.  Also, The World's End is on HBO right now.

@DaveyMac I'm super excited to have Simon Pegg writing on the next Star Trek.  I think if anyone can treat it right, it's probably him, especially after reading that blog post.  Maybe he can steer it back toward the spirit of the originals.

@markdavidcole  I saw Spaced in my early 20s.  I remember it being good (and specifically the Star Wars prequels rant in the comic shop being pretty epic) but not much else beyond that.  Maybe it's time for a rewatch.
    DaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited June 2015
    Luke said:

I think the reason that zombie movie fims leave out the fact that everyone knows what a zomboe is, is because the world wide outbreak requires people to be ignorant of the problem until it is too late.

Like if a zombie virus actually did start now, there is no way it would topple humanity. Too many people know what needs to be done to stop an outbreak. Heck even the CDC jokingly has posted stuff about what to do.

I guess one of the reasons I'm not all that interested in the zombie genre is that the premise requires ignorance on the part of humanity for the zombies to take over and completely collapse the society. I would be interested to see the genre evolve and make an attempt at releasing zombies into a world that is fully aware of zombie lore. Sure, maybe they in and of themselves wouldn't topple society, but perhaps in tandem with something else like a solar flare... The apes can't take over the world without the simian virus spreading, so perhaps there could be some sort of double whammy that lays humanity low. 

I would also be interested in seeing the slow degradation of society rather than a sudden fall. Sure it may not be as thrilling, but I think if you have compelling characters and drama, then you wouldn't need constant thrills. Plus there could be all kinds of interesting twists on the idea of who a hero could be. Suddenly the local pharmacist is invaluable for his knowledge on medicine, etc. 

Sorry, I've kind of gotten way off topic here and away from Shaun of the Dead and the Cornetto trilogy.
    Hatorian