Westworld -302- The Winter Line (Spoilers)

Directed by: Richard J. Lewis
Written by: Lisa Joy and Matthew Pitts

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 23
    I can't believe those cameos.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Ironically, GoT S8 makes more sense as a glitched Westworld scenario. 
    awookieeMurderbearcalebthrowerhisdudeness915ElisatpelzyGiovanniMarciBrooklynMDsassyfontaine
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I promise this is pure coincidence:

cdriveElisaKillert0ast
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    So confused....can we go back to multiple timelines...I think that was easier to understand
  • This episode was alright. I mostly liked the simulation stuff, but barring the Warworld plot, a lot of the action was really bad. I don't get Stubbs' Batman routine working on like 6 dudes with P90s or how they were able to get out of the facility. The drone escape was pretty cool, but why is a maintenance drone built to run and tank bullets?

I think I just really wanted to pick up where we left off the last episode and move on. I realized while watching the last episode we were basically building to a scene from the trailer with Dolores connecting with Caleb, and it was the same with this one with Maeve meeting Serac. Fine to set the table I guess but I just liked the way they got there better in episode one and now we're a quarter through the season.
    ElisatpelzyCory
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    If only Maeve had been in the Matrix. All they had to do was start a couple infinite loops until all the machines crashed lol. 
  • Hatorian said:
    So confused....can we go back to multiple timelines...I think that was easier to understand
    What are you confused about?
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited March 23
    The drone escape was pretty cool, but why is a maintenance drone built to run and tank bullets?
    Maybe it's actually cheaper to have drones which can do maintenance and switch over to riot control mode when needed than have two separate sets of drones (maintenance and security) to maintain?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    awookiee said:
    Hatorian said:
    Well maybe it was that I wasn’t paying close attention but I’m just lost on the entire Maeve plot and what’s going on with Stubbs. 

I don’t get the simulation thing and I don’t understand how the human guys are there and is war world connected to west world? Or is it somewhere else? How is west world just abandoned but the lab is still functioning as normal...

I’m sure there’s explanations and I probably just missed it with a few too many glances at the phone. 
  • Hatorian said:
    awookiee said:
    Hatorian said:
    Well maybe it was that I wasn’t paying close attention but I’m just lost on the entire Maeve plot and what’s going on with Stubbs. 

I don’t get the simulation thing and I don’t understand how the human guys are there and is war world connected to west world? Or is it somewhere else? How is west world just abandoned but the lab is still functioning as normal...

I’m sure there’s explanations and I probably just missed it with a few too many glances at the phone. 
    Everything that happened with Maeve this entire episode happened inside the "construct" that Serac built. None of that happened in a real world only in a simulation. War World is only a fictional place inside a computer.

Stubb's is a host. He tried to kill himself and failed. Bernard found him and had Stubb's help him find Maeve who was in cold storage without her brain or pearl or whatever you want to call the thing in her head that makes her her. After Bernard realized he couldn't recruit Maeve to help him in the real world he basically forced Stubb's to help him by rewriting his code to protect him. 
    ElisaKillert0ast
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Was the gun Stubbs shot himself with loaded with roast beef sandwiches? That dude put on some weight.
    Teresa from ConcordElisa
  • fidoz said:
    Was the gun Stubbs shot himself with loaded with roast beef sandwiches? That dude put on some weight.
    More like Tubbs.
    JSDCAfidozElisamajjam0770
  • @cdrive that high 5 wasn't what I expected. I was hoping Jim would high five to his right and A.Ron would high five to his left so it would appear like their they were high giving in the stream but they just high fives towards the camera. I don't watch live streams very often as I listen to most of their podcasts while I work but that was very entertaining to watch.
    neilfgkscdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    awookiee said:
    @cdrive that high 5 wasn't what I expected. I was hoping Jim would high five to his right and A.Ron would high five to his left so it would appear like their they were high giving in the stream but they just high fives towards the camera. I don't watch live streams very often as I listen to most of their podcasts while I work but that was very entertaining to watch.
    Haha same. I asked for a remote high five as in them doing it between themselves like high fiving the side of their video frame BUT instead they both instinctively went to us, the viewer, with the high five. I have to say, I was touched.  

And I didn’t even finish the episode yet! I just had serious FOMO from missing the 1st Insta Chat so spoilers be damned I had to jump in. Super fun. 
    awookieeneilfgks
  • edited March 24
    I read that GRRM originally wanted a much deeper GoT tie-in like a GoT world or something.  That got me thinking of how meta it would be if all the Westworld "worlds" ended up being based on hit HBO shows (we've already got Deadwood) - Sopranos, The Wire, True Detective, Band of Brothers, Oz, Entourage, True Blood, Rome, etc.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to actually make this a good series vs pure fan service, but how awesome would it be for all the cameos?

Edit: Sadly, the cameo I'd like to see most is James Gandolfini :(
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I liked episode 1 but going back to the parks was kind of a drag. The in character drama of the hosts going through their motions is super not interesting at this part of the story and finding out it's a simulation made it seem even more pointless. 
    FreddyElisa
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Agree. It was mostly slow and uninteresting with a glimmer here and there. I’m guessing the show runners would prefer the opposite. But if they’re willing to hire the DD’s I guess we shouldn’t expect much. 
    #toosoontoseethedragon
    bizmarkiefaderElisa
  • Another slight nod I noticed on rewatch was Lee Sizemore called the 2 guards with guns "mouth breathers." The only other place I recall using that term is Stranger Things. Clearly there's no tie in with Stranger Things but just thought it was interesting they would use that exact term. 
  • awookiee said:

Everything that happened with Maeve this entire episode happened inside the "construct" that Serac built. None of that happened in a real world only in a simulation. War World is only a fictional place inside a computer.

Stubb's is a host. He tried to kill himself and failed. Bernard found him and had Stubb's help him find Maeve who was in cold storage without her brain or pearl or whatever you want to call the thing in her head that makes her her. After Bernard realized he couldn't recruit Maeve to help him in the real world he basically forced Stubb's to help him by rewriting his code to protect him. 
    This is all true except that War World is an actual park the guests can go to. So while it was the setting for the simulation that Maeve was in, it is also a real park. According to the website the parks are as follows as of now:

1) Westworld
    2) Shogunworld
    3) WarWorld
    4) Not yet revealed but believed to be some sort of Fantasy Land
    5) Completely Unknown
    6) The Raj
  • awookiee said:

This is all true except that War World is an actual park the guests can go to. So while it was the setting for the simulation that Maeve was in, it is also a real park. According to the website the parks are as follows as of now:

1) Westworld
    2) Shogunworld
    3) WarWorld
    4) Not yet revealed but believed to be some sort of Fantasy Land
    5) Completely Unknown
    6) The Raj
    Yeah you are right. I'm pretty sure at the time I wrote this it wasn't revealed yet on the Delos site. 
    @A_Ron_Hubbard has an interesting theory that the unknown park is FutureWorld and Delores is in that park. This is completely inline with the way this show has been written. It will also be the straw that breaks this camel's back. I remember being so excited when season 1 started. By the end of season 1 I had some concerns but still all in. By the end of season 2 I was pretty sure I was done. But the trailers lured me back. If the show now pulls a bait and switch? Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy will go on the "never watch a show by these people" list. I bet a lot of you can guess who else is on that list.
  • Couple thoughts from the podcast:

1) The rule change with the aspect ratio didn't bother me. Maybe I am being overly charitable, but my impression is that all of these time-trickery tools and obfuscations were always intended to maximize the audience’s empathy for the Host’s predicaments by putting us in their perspective. That was true for the Dolores 30 year thing in season 1, true of the Bernard amnesia of season 2 (less effective), and true of the aspect ratio change of this episode. The reason the aspect ratio changed is because we are in Maeve’s POV and so when she realizes the truth, so do we.

2) I also think Lee has to be dead because that is the only thing that makes thematic sense. The whole emotional crux of the simulation reveal hinges on Maeve realizing Lee didn’t actually make it out, and Thandie Newton sold the hell out of that moment that if Lee does end up being alive, that would completely cheapen the moment. 

3) Lastly, call me naive but I really think Nolan and Joy are playing everything much more straight with us this season and so some of the mental gymnastics we are doing about timelines and simulations and who is in who’s body will probably not be as true this season as it was the last 2. Containing this type of mystery in one hour instead of dragging it out over a whole season make those type of twists much more fun and much less frustrating. Nolan and Joy have basically come out and said they heard the criticism and while they aren’t dumbing down the show, they will make it less mechanically complicated. 

With that being said, if Park 5 ends up being Futureworld or if the “real world” is actually a simulation, or if Caleb ends up being a host, I am so done with this show.

awookieeCoryTeresa from Concord
  • The aspect ratio change shot is very reminiscent of the big one in "Homecoming" (Sam Esmail show on Amazon that I would highly recommend).

Elisa
  • On a highly less serious topic.....@Jim, I just listened to the full podcast and laughed at the discussion re  Maeve's shoes.  I also noticed her shoes immediately, but I also immediately noted that she had 1940's  heels which were way easier on the feet.  They had to be sturdier than today's silly heels given their block heels.  If Sarah Jessica Parker can run in Manolos down a NYC street, I believe Thandie can run in a field with 1940's heels :D
    Elisa
  • Crazy how Westworld’s security protocols allow for random beach drop-offs via old Chinese fishing boats. 
    majjam0770manhattnikElisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed the Drogon cameo.
    Garrison66awookiee
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC

Crazy how Westworld’s security protocols allow for random beach drop-offs via old Chinese fishing boats. 
    Maybe Bernard, as a host, does not set off the alarms if he's entering the area.  Sounds crazy but... "The system design did not include a consideration for jaywalking pedestrians," the report said.  https://www.npr.org/2019/11/07/777438412/feds-say-self-driving-uber-suv-did-not-recognize-jaywalking-pedestrian-in-fatal-

Garrison66
  • Cory said:

You are not alone @Cory. I'm with you that I really enjoyed both the dragon and the Double D's cameos. 
    CoryBrooklynMD
    Love the dragon but the DD’s...too soon. 
    Eine Frau
  • Cory said:
    @Cory I laughed much harder than I ever would have expected to when I saw him walk toward Drogon with a chainsaw. Just the sheer audacity of it earns my respect.
    Cory