Art in the Time of Corona

JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
edited March 24 in General
What are you working on with your free time? Projects, art, anything?

I'm always working on some kind of writing, so I'm using this time to focus even more on my novel about genies. The whole thing is outlined to death, I wrote a first draft a long time ago, and now I'm about 25K words in on the rewrite... about to cross the threshold (in hero's journey terms). 

Also I'm updating my portfolio website since I'm about to be job hunting. It's such a bitch to update/maintain, but damn I think it's impressive to potential employers so it stays. I've spent 8 hours on it so far and I'm probably like 20% done. 

What are you up to?

ChinaskicdriveMichelleHatorian

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i have several unfinished  short stories that i started awhile  back. this may be a good time to blow off the dust the computer they're on and try to finish them. will be funny to see how they've held up.
    JaimieTMichelleHatorian
  • edited March 24
    Chinaski said:
    i have several unfinished  short stories that i started awhile  back. this may be a good time to blow off the dust the computer they're on and try to finish them. will be funny to see how they've held up.
    George R R Chinaski

ChinaskiNoelMichelleFreddyTeresa from Concord
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I am thinking of going back to school to get my doctorate so I’ve been working on my thesis proposal which by itself needs to be 30-50 pages. That’s just to get accepted... I’m starting to rethink this. But I really want to get out of sales/technology/management/business. I want to teach but I also can’t afford to teach anything less than university level...kids and current lifestyle are expensive. 
    JaimieTMichelleNoel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I've been thinking of picking my camera back up.  I lost all of my momentum with my photography (after having had photos published and locally recognized - I think I just burned out?), but have really been feeling like maybe I want to get back into it.  
    JaimieTHatorianNoel
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Michelle said:
    I've been thinking of picking my camera back up.  I lost all of my momentum with my photography (after having had photos published and locally recognized - I think I just burned out?), but have really been feeling like maybe I want to get back into it.  

You should, your photography is really good!
    NoelMichelleChinaski
  • ShumShum Utah
    I've been building my first custom D&D campaign setting. It's an ideal world about to be disrupted by the reintroduction of Magic. It's been very cathartic to create a society that values science and reason above all else.
    JaimieTHatorianFreddy
    Shum said:
    I've been building my first custom D&D campaign setting. It's an ideal world about to be disrupted by the reintroduction of Magic. It's been very cathartic to create a society that values science and reason above all else.
    You should join us on our D&D campaign. After we finish @CretanBulls game we should run yours. 
    JaimieT said:
    You should, your photography is really good!
    Thank you!  :smile:
  • ShumShum Utah
    @Hatorian. I appreciate the invite, but I'm not really interested in Play by Post. The social/roleplaying aspect of D&D is what really sets it apart from other games for me.
    HatorianJaimieT
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited March 24
    I build plastic model airplanes, 1/48 scale, mostly US Navy, WWII.  Pretty productive recently. 
    Hatorian
    tom_g said:
    I build plastic model airplanes, 1/48 scale, mostly US Navy, WWII.  Pretty productive recently. 
    Please do show! I’m in like 3 or 4 Facebook groups and I’m in awe of some of these guys work...I used to enjoy it but as I get older my hands are less reliable. And I’m not the best painter. 

I usually make a model and then find a similar pre-made one and just display that. It’s a bit cheating but my models are just too ugly to show. 

tom_gNoelJimcdrive
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited March 24
    With the extra time at home I've been working on finishing a cross stitch I started for my son a few months back
    JaimieT
  • @Hatorian you asked for it - just a few - don't want to bore everyone. Sorry for the poor quality photos - will snap better pics when they are done.  All are works in progress.

Avenger 2 Avenger 1 f6f5 f4u1A birdcage
    JaimieTFreddyMarciasmallcatMichelleNoelHatoriancdrivedarwinfeeshy
  • I have some ideas for illustrations I'm working on that I plan to start really soon. I'll be happy to share them when I make some progress.
    I'm also finishing up an online class about ideation from Sterling Hundley, a pretty amazing illustrator.
    JaimieTtom_gMichelle
  • I'm happy that these days more people are able to spend quality time with their elephants.

MichelleJaimieT
    Schlupp said:
    I'm happy that these days more people are able to spend quality time with their elephants.

*love* :heart:
    JaimieTSchlupp
    I just finished a chapter tonight. I am amazed at how much I can hate my writing in these moments. I love my story, but the writing itself becomes loathsome and disgusting. I start to think stuff like "this sentence is mostly short words, it's mostly spaces" and "there's too many i's in these words" and then I'm convinced it's all fucking awful. The genre I'm writing, I'll think, "ugh this is SO [genre I'm writing]" and that's a bad thing. 

Fortunately I'm on to a new chapter tomorrow. I get to research Islamic architecture more, so, there's really nothing better. If my writing is bad, at least the buildings will look nice. 
    MichelleChinaskiHatorian
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 26
    I’m doing a lot more bread baking, it’s my happy place. Love the process of sourdough baking from start to finish. I had to order 60 lbs of flour from a mill in Cal to re supply for the months to come. Here’s some I baked this week:

cdriveJaimieTMichelleMarcitom_gChinaskiNoel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I call her Ethel cause she’s True Blue. From a pedal builder dude named John making Art in the Time of Corona.  Getting in a lot more playing time. 

JaimieTMarciMichelleMichaelGChinaskiNoel
    I LOVE bread. That’s looks awesome. There’s nothing better than a really creamy delicious soup and some fresh bread to dunk it in and eat. When I was single and on my own and didn’t know how to cook my go to lunch was Panera’s chicken wild rice with like 3 extra orders of bread. 
    JaimieTMichaelG
    @Hatorian I love it. Ingredients are cheap, the process is hands on and meditative, the results are (usually) beautiful and tasty, and it makes me feel very good to give it away to friends and neighbors. 

I started getting into it years ago after watching the Air episode of Cooked on Neflix and just fell in love. 

If you’re ever interested in learning, I personally follow the Tartine book method, by Chad Robertson. The process is actually demonstrated pretty well by Jon Favreau in an episode of the latest season of his Chef show on Netflix. It takes some practice and trial and error, but it isn’t rocket science like some believe. 
    HatorianJaimieTChinaski
    edited March 30
    All My Friends Are Bread

JaimieTSchluppChinaskiMichellecdrive
  • This isn't my greatest piece, but it's the most recent thing I've finished. I participate in this thing on Facebook called The Bird Whisperer Project. It's just an informal art project, open to everyone, where they post one bird photo per month and you can do essentially anything you want to create an art piece based on the photo. They share them all together in an album the last Wednesday of each month. I like to try to get experimental when I have a good idea for it, but this is a pretty straightforward acrylic painting. This breed of chicken is called Appenzeller Spitzhauben, and they look like they have hearts on their feathers!
    Also, the National Audubon Society just did a cool article about our group!

cdriveMichaelGMichelletom_g
    @Marci - That is BEAUTIFUL! You're so talented.
  • Thank you @JaimieT! I'm excited about the next couple of birds. The photos are really cool and I'm using watercolor, ink, and colored pencils on illustration board. Not my typical mediums, but really fun so far!
    JaimieT

• MichaelG said:
    All My Friends Are Bread

MichaelG
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Working on my Arcade Cabinet for retro gaming fun. Just finished the control panel.
    Starting the wiring this week hopefully

cdriveJaimieTtom_gSchluppMarciMichaelGMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^fuckin’ rad
    Schlupp said:

MichaelG said:
    All My Friends Are Bread

Oh My God - this is the best thing I’ve seen all quarantine! Thank you! Take it easy, eat some toast:

SchluppJaimieTMichelle
  • Do you use a pizza stone? It really makes a difference, specially with sourdough baking.