Art in the Time of Corona

13»

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2020
    @Marci I love your growth mindset here. It's inspiring. And, I like both versions of that painting because the subject matter is what really shines for me, but I can see how the 2nd is fuller and more realistic. It's so good to get more tools in your arsenal as an artist.

@calebthrower I love cross-stitching! I've been wanting to pick it up again during this time. Nice work, show us your progress or when it's done!
    Marcicalebthrower
    edited May 2020
    It's the writer's lot to be envious of all the artists who have easy-to-show pieces, by comparison. I wish I did. So instead I'll share a tiny thing.

First the main thing I should communicate is DAMN I'm making strides in the last few months (since November 2019). People might hate on this year (understandably) but it's working up to being my personal writing renaissance year. It's like I had to pay my dues for 15 years -- but probably I just had to get wiser about human nature, and read more observationally.

My book is about a group of genies, and their masters, scattered around the world. The man who has taken it upon himself to lead this group walks a fine line of being affable and someone you don't want to cross. Because someone challenging him would be a mess he doesn't want. I was trying to figure out a way for him to invite my protagonists to a party while also communicating it's a mandatory invitation, but without looking like a hard-ass right out of the gate. I went through a lot of ideas before I found this one (and even my explanation of the problem is in itself a refined version of what I used to have). 

There's a long scene where the protagonists meet him over a meal, with a lot of exposition, and at the end he stands up. "Oh!" he says, turning, “There’s another dinner tomorrow night, a welcome party in your honor, with the other genies and masters in attendance. Come.” He taps the table pointedly, looking into each set of their eyes. Then he leaves. 

So for the last few days, I have been very amused that the solution to my problem was always one word: "come."

MichelleMarci
  • Congratulations on finding a solution @JaimieT! That sounds like a cool idea for a book too! I don't know if there's a named subgenre for supernatural/mythic beings in the regular world, but I love it. "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, "Good Omens" by Gaiman & Pratchett, and most recently, "The City We Became" by NK Jemisin, are all books that I really love and find very satisfying. Glad your writing is going well! I spun my wheels for a few weeks after losing my job, but then realized that there was no better time than now to get my ass in gear and really push to get more art done and to focus on making money from it. I've gotten a bunch of art done, am planning out a schedule for creating and posting, and plan to launch my Patreon and restructure my online shops next month.
    JaimieT
    Marci said:
    Congratulations on finding a solution @JaimieT! That sounds like a cool idea for a book too! I don't know if there's a named subgenre for supernatural/mythic beings in the regular world, but I love it. "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, "Good Omens" by Gaiman & Pratchett, and most recently, "The City We Became" by NK Jemisin, are all books that I really love and find very satisfying. Glad your writing is going well! I spun my wheels for a few weeks after losing my job, but then realized that there was no better time than now to get my ass in gear and really push to get more art done and to focus on making money from it. I've gotten a bunch of art done, am planning out a schedule for creating and posting, and plan to launch my Patreon and restructure my online shops next month.

Thanks! Yes, both great books. (Haven't read the 3rd but I checked it out just now; it looks interesting.) It's usually called "urban fantasy," but it's not the best label and I wish we had something better. While I love Neil Gaiman, I'm probably more of the DNA of Lev Grossman and "The Magicians" (the books, not the show). He's more about character development than Gaiman. In fact I find Gaiman a little infuriating because I have such overlap with his concepts but he takes it in a direction I would never. Funny how that works.  :D

Patreon, nice. That's awesome you are getting so proactive with this! 
    Marci
  • It's the last Wednesday of the month, so it's Bird Whisperer Project day! June was the Greater Roadrunner. Mine is black and white acrylic ink on toned paper with a touch of colored pencil.
    MEEP MEEP!

I have a bunch of new stuff I'll be sharing soon. I've been doing a lot of work and sent out for some test prints of them. I had planned to start posting a lot early in the month, but with the protests going on, it just felt wrong. So I've been quietly busy making stuff and will start posting it next week.

JaimieTNoeltom_gMichellecdrive
  • Here are two more of the paintings I started last year, but decided to improve with a little more painting experience under my belt. I only did minor improvements to the first one, but extensively repainted the second one. They're both acrylic paintings with a little bit of colored pencil too.

I also made one minute videos of the different phases of the paintings to show how they progressed:

North:

The Cat's Hat:

cdriveNoelMichellebridgy1112tom_g
  • This is a brand new series I'm working on, and they're really fun to do! I was already working on sketches for this series, but wasn’t quite sure if they would be paintings or drawings. Then I happened to catch a demo that CF Payne (look him up, he's great!) did and I loved his technique and results! I adapted it a bit for my needs. It starts with a graphite drawing on coffee-dyed watercolor paper. Then texture is added by rolling on Liquitex Ultra Matte Medium tinted with some dark brown acrylic paint. After it dries, the surface has a LOT of tooth and takes colored pencils and acrylic inks or paints really well. It's so "toothy" that it EATS colored pencils super fast! Then it’s just a matter of working to bring out the highlights and deepen the shadows. Anyway, hope you like it. I'm doing a BUNCH of these! I already have several more done.

Michelle
  • I've been slacking off on sharing my artwork!
    OK, so this guy was a lot of fun to paint. The idea came from a picture that was shared on the Sktchy app of a guy named Rick. He has an amazing array of expressions and he loves to pose with props. Sktchy is an app where users upload photos and artists can use those to interpret in any way they wish, then upload the artwork so that everyone can see the inspiration photo beside the artwork. I had this photo of Rick with some steampunky goggles on and a cigar in his mouth, so I played around with it to see what I could do to make it fun and interesting and something more than just a portrait. I wanted to do something fun with his head and I was thinking about the concept of ideas and inspiration, so making the balloon have a similar shape to a lightbulb was where I started. The rest of it came together through lots of sketching. This is one that I worked on months ago, then went back in to do some extensive repainting.

Michelle
  • Next doggo in the series:

Michelle
  • Oh, and I usually try to record the process of the dogs, so here are some massively accelerated videos of the process:

Michelletom_gNoel
  • Marci - love em!!

How about a schnauzer
    MarcicdriveNoel
  • tom_g said:
    Marci - love em!!

How about a schnauzer

Thank you @tom_g - I have a Schnauzer coming! I've been working a little ahead, so he won't be posted for a few weeks, but he's just about finished. I hope you'll like him! :)
    cdrive
  • MOAR ART! This guy is 9" x 12" acrylic and colored pencil.

cdriveMichelle
  • I did something completely different for this month's Bird Whisperer Project. It's 9x12 paper collage.

Noeltom_gMichelleAnn2609
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 2020
    Starting out on wood turning ie. woodworking on a lathe. Made a handle for a coffee scoop and a handle for a shaving razor. My current goal is a wooden beer stein. I got a lot of writing pen kits. If I get good maybe we could do a bald pen prize deal.
    MarciMichelle
  • That's pretty cool @kingbee67!
    kingbee67
  • I'm super proud of how this one came out. It's called "Mermaid Training." Original is 16” by 20", acrylic paint and collage on hardboard. One night just before I fell asleep, the words “fishbowl helmet” popped into my head and I typed them into my phone. I started sketching some ideas soon after and I came up with a sketch for this one. I wanted to be a little experimental, so I collaged strips of paper torn from magazines for the background, then painted the figure and the fish on separate pieces of paper that I glued down over the collage work. It was a bit of a challenge, but worked out pretty well! I'm really pleased with how it looks framed too!

cdriveMichellekingbee67Noel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Marci have you looked into illustrating novels?  I don't know if you've mentioned it before or not.
    Your work is *perfect* for it.  You're just so insanely talented that everyone should be seeing what you're creating. :)
    CretanBullJoshuaHeter
  • Michelle said:
    @Marci have you looked into illustrating novels?  I don't know if you've mentioned it before or not.
    Your work is *perfect* for it.  You're just so insanely talented that everyone should be seeing what you're creating. :)
    Totally agree!

• Thank you @Michelle! I actually haven't yet, but it's something I'm interested in. I've been trying to build up a nice portfolio of work and maybe sell some prints, but I think pretty soon I might start looking into more of that kind of work. I'm feeling like now is a good time to get some freelance work going, because it would be a way to not have to go out into the world with the pandemic going on while doing what I love!
    Michelle
  • Thank you too @CretanBull! :)
    CretanBull
  • I'm way behind in sharing my doggos! I got a bunch more done. And I got my job back, which is excellent, but allows a bit less time to do my own stuff. In many ways though, I'm actually more productive when I have limited time and it also helps to have some structure to my days and weeks, so I am not complaining! I also sold 4 prints of the dogs today, so that's pretty sweet too!

Ann2609Michelletom_gkingbee67
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited September 2020
    -
    We need more crafting chat! Maybe a what are you crafting thread. Hobbies of all kinds. A place where we can come together to share and discuss all the stuff we like to do in our spare time. Discussions on purchasing supplies. Selling the items. Stuff I can’t even imagine right this minute. Just sayin.
    Marci
  • kingbee67 said:
    We need more crafting chat! Maybe a what are you crafting thread. Hobbies of all kinds. A place where we can come together to share and discuss all the stuff we like to do in our spare time. Discussions on purchasing supplies. Selling the items. Stuff I can’t even imagine right this minute. Just sayin.

Definitely! Crafting, home improvement, any hands-on kind of project is always interesting to me.
  • At the end of my logic class each semester, I give a problem so tough that anyone who solves it gets an automatic A on the final. Even in a pandemic, some traditions are too important to discard...

MarciMichelletom_g
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    Any updates to share on anyone's projects?
    I have been toying with the idea of a written and illustrated story. Not sure if it would qualify as a graphic novel, or a novel, or what. I'm pretty open to the final form. I'm kind of interested in both of those mediums coming together. Been mulling over a story about the Cincinnati area and kind of exploring the sites and scenes and history of this region. 
    Anyone ever had luck with collaborations, or advice for things they are not experienced with? Like, for example, working with an editor or writing coach, or an illustrator?