Contagion (2011) - Podcast Discussion

CecilyCecily Cincinnati

Video up shortly!

__SunspotsNoelChinaski

Comments

• Wish they would have actually discussed the film for more than 10 minutes. Somehow they came to the bizarre conclusion that American factory farming is worse than Chinese wet markets selling/eating Pangolins and Bats. 
    rhcoop
  • I first watched this movie on a plane returning from Hong Kong....
    Freddy
  • edited March 27
    I try to skip their political stuff because it just gives me a headache, but they snuck it in at the end of here so I have a few thoughts:

1. There's a lot of valid criticisms of the way Trump communicated throughout this, but blaming him because someone was stupid enough to drink fish tank cleaner is not one of them. They pretty much say as much and explain how what this idiot ingested was not actually the malaria treatment Trump was talking about, but blame Trump anyways.

2. Aron states that "apparently" what what Senators Burr and Loeffler did regarding the sale of their stocks was legal. In reality, using non-public information to profit in such a way is directly prohibited by the STOCK Act. Loeffler has said that all decisions related to her portfolio were made by third parties without her direction or advice (similarly, Diane Feinstein claims that her stocks were dumped through a blind trust). Burr's much more ridiculous defence is that he was acting on publicly available information and somehow not using what he knew from the briefing. So while I wouldn't hold our hope for a prosecution under the current Justice Department, what he did was pretty clearly illegal.

3. The apologism for China is mind-boggling. They arrested medical professionals for raising the alarm (we still don't know their fate) and continued to lie to the world by claiming human-to-human transmission was impossible when they had clear evidence to the contrary. They contained the spread of the virus with draconian measures that I'm pretty sure everyone would be appalled to see Trump even talking about. I really don't get the pivot to "ya, but factory farming is bad too."
    JoshuaHeterillmaticrhcoopJaimieTnstinson
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Can I just say:  The production and graphics are suuuper slick. I like this style. 
    nstinson
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Tried to purchase/download from Prime and got the forever spinning spinny thing. I guess everyone was trying to watch tonight. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I try to skip their political stuff because it just gives me a headache, but they snuck it in at the end of here so I have a few thoughts:

1. There's a lot of valid criticisms of the way Trump communicated throughout this, but blaming him because someone was stupid enough to drink fish tank cleaner is not one of them. They pretty much say as much and explain how what this idiot ingested was not actually the malaria treatment Trump was talking about, but blame Trump anyways.

2. Aron states that "apparently" what what Senators Burr and Loeffler did regarding the sale of their stocks was legal. In reality, using non-public information to profit in such a way is directly prohibited by the STOCK Act. Loeffler has said that all decisions related to her portfolio were made by third parties without her direction or advice (similarly, Diane Feinstein claims that her stocks were dumped through a blind trust). Burr's much more ridiculous defence is that he was acting on publicly available information and somehow not using what he knew from the briefing. So while I wouldn't hold our hope for a prosecution under the current Justice Department, what he did was pretty clearly illegal.

3. The apologism for China is mind-boggling. They arrested medical professionals for raising the alarm (we still don't know their fate) and continued to lie to the world by claiming human-to-human transmission was impossible when they had clear evidence to the contrary. They contained the spread of the virus with draconian measures that I'm pretty sure everyone would be appalled to see Trump even talking about. I really don't get the pivot to "ya, but factory farming is bad too."
    1. Trump knows plenty of idiots blindly follow him, so I would have to say he bears at least some responsibility for specifically bringing up unproven cures as any kind of option. That being said, I don't lose sleep over any adult who dies from knowingly ingesting chemicals without even knowing what it is.

2. Politicians shouldn't be allowed to buy or sell stock while in office. Especially in scenarios where major swings are expected (like I don't know: a worldwide pandemic expected to spread to a large portion of our population and effect all aspects of the economy). I would be okay if they were allowed to dump stock in a personal emergency, but even then there should be a paper trail showing what the money was for and that it actually went there. Now, that's idealistic thinking. Realistically, most politicians own stock or an investment portfolio of some kind, and only 3 out of 100 senators dumping stock at this time could just be coincidence. Just doesn't help that 2 of the 3 also happen to be on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. One the current chair, and the other the most recent former chair. Loeffler appears to be the most egregious considering her husband had to sign off on the sale and she also turned around and bought stock in a teleworking company.

3. I don't doubt for one second that China is skewing information and statistics in an effort to look better off than they actually are. Historically, they have less of a regard for human life than most other developed nations, so it wouldn't surprise me if their measures are even worse than reported. Especially if there is an opportunity to become more of a superpower. Now when it comes to the wet markets vs. factory farming, I think their argument boiled down to the pot calling the kettle black. It's hard for us to go off about their food supply methods when major companies here are literally trying to keep people from seeing how they raise and process the food we eat.
    bizmarkiefaderDee
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    This podcast sounded more like a Swizzbold show to me than a movie review, but that is just my opinion.  

I didn't care for essentially giving China a pass and the comparison of the wet markets in China to farmer's markets here.  Now I haven't been to every farmers market in the US, but I've never heard of live animals being purchased, butchered and sold on site to customers at any farmers markets here.  Those Chinese wet markets seem a LOT less sanitary than going and buying pre-butchered and packed meat at the Market Square farmer's market in Knoxville. 

Again, everyone is welcome to their opinions, but that didn't make much sense to me. 
    illmaticJaimieT
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I wasn't apologizing for China in this podcast. I specifically said that wet markets should face more scrutiny and should have more regulation and that China should take heat from how they handled suppressing virus information. 

The Trump administration knew accurate information about the coronavirus by end of January at the latest, and I don't know what to tell you if you think the intelligence community didn't have insight into this before/beyond CNN. His response has been late and lackluster, across the board. That's if you go by the expert/medical consensus on this, which is what I try to do in every aspect in my life beyond matters of personal taste. You can't blame China when Italy modeled what was going to happen almost a month in advance of us facing it. We closed our borders to china 3 weeks after it would have done any good and we closed our borders to Europe the same way. There is a direct relationship between the selfish and shortsided non-participation in social distancing to Trump's "this is no big deal" attitude to the virus, at least up til last week. And he still shifts back into that gear. He blames the lack of testing capability on both the CDC and the FDA, departments that are 100% under his jurisdiction. He just like 15 minutes ago started using his presidential powers to compel companies to make vital materials, that should have happened weeks ago before they were needed, not when hospitals are running out.

As far as this factory farming thing, you guys aren't even engaging with the idea, and it's hard for me to take you seriously. You can't be "LOL Aron thinks chickens and pigs is worse than eating raw pangolins", RE: my take. Experts agree that overuse of antibiotics, including antibiotics of last resort, and the cramped, filthy conditions the animals are kept in are a medical ticking time bomb. How would they not be? The fact that we the people are allowed zero insight and transparency into some of the biggest livestock processing farms and centers is appalling, and not unlike what China did to suppress knowledge about Corona. They've jailed people who have tried to bring cameras into these slaughterhouses. The rationale for this is literally, "to let people see these conditions is incredibly bad for our business." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ag-gag#Support

Look... yes, China is more repressive than the United States. That doesn't make the crazy shit we do okay. Right?  That's a low bar to cross, guys. Everybody wants to work themselves up to a state of high dudgeon when people eat whales, bats, or monkeys, but suggest to a westerner that we might have a problem with our culture of readily available cheap meat in terms of health or the environment and they "don't care for it". Do you realize that they have cultural attachments to the crazy shit they do the same as we do? 

This reminds me of being back in the congregation when the topic of being gay came up. Everybody had something to say, everybody rode hard, everybody thumped bibles on that. You want to talk about drunkenness? Gluttony? Sloth? Everybody was a lot more measured and nuanced on those topics. 

I think your criticism about my criticism of the senators is bizarre. What is the critique here? That I said it was "apparently" legal. I actually read several arguments to suggest this. I read several arguments against. I think they should serve a few years in jail and get bankrupted by fines and never be allowed oversight over finances again.

Look, if you want to discuss the "politics" of this further I've created a thread on the topic over at /r/swizzbold. Or hit me up at 3RT@swizzbold.com and I'll get you on the horn and we can hash things out. I'd really like to get to the bottom of how ya'll are thinking on this, because it is wild to me.
    hisdudeness915JaimieTbizmarkiefadergguenotDoubleA_RonDeeAlkaid13MarciEine FrauFreddyand 5 others.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 28
    I just finished listening and honestly, these comments are baffling. Maybe because I’m a non-American so I am not offended when it’s pointed out how bad factory farming in America is, but seriously, it’s really fucking bad. Read Fast Food Nation. 
    MarciA_Ron_HubbardDashEngineChinaski
  • After listening to the cast, I’m not sure how people came to the conclusion that ARon was defending China’s lies and unsanitary practices.

Also, is it weird that I listen to the Contagion sound track while venturing out to Target and other stores scrounging for necessities ?
    NoelCecilyMarci__Sunspots
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited March 30
    My post accidentally posted twice