“In a field
    I am the absence of field.
    This is always the case.
    Wherever I am
    I am what is missing.“
    Elisacdrivemajjam0770Schlupp
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited March 30
    This show is starting to become a real drag. This constant cutting back and forth between characters is a bit frustrating.
    Elisa
  • This was my favorite episode in a while, but it's still kind of polarizing for me because I find myself so frustrated with the Hale "mystery". Tessa Thompson is killing it, but instead of enjoying her performance, my mind is distracted by every piece of evidence. Is she hurting herself like Teddy/using sex as a tool like Clem & Angela/unstable like Abernathy? We'll find out later which ones were red herrings/coincidences in classic Westworld recontextualization, but this stuff is interesting on its own. I'd love to have the context that I'm watching Clem struggle with a new reality and being comforted by Dolores, or that it's Teddy once again trapped being used by someone he loves for a cause he doesn't know if he believes in.

But I guess Westworld is gonna Westworld. I was totally engrossed in the dynamic between Dolores and Caleb. It's really opened Dolores' character up to have a new reference for humanity she didn't seem to have in the park. And from Caleb's perspective, I like the idea that this force can enter his life with ability to knock him off the rails that "destiny" has put him on (for better or worse).
    majjam0770BroRad33MarciElisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    When Aaron Paul calmly and quietly says “I’m not angry....I’m enraged”,  man he is so fucking good. 
    johnnytruantKillert0astmajjam0770Marci
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The Deloras/Caleb plot is the best thing this show has had since season one and they keep undermining it insisting every aspect of this show needs some mystery associated with it so we can never just enjoy or connect with anything
    lengmoElisa
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited March 30
    I think Charlotte bot reveal is going to end up being some bullshit. Rewatching the scenes where Delores and Charlotte talk to each other sure make it seem that none of the potential candidates make sense. In their first conversation, Charlotte bot says that Charlotte Hale tried to kill them all and Bernard tried to stop them. That pretty much rules out William. The only characters we've seen that fit the "No one knows me like you" line would be Teddy and Peter. Peter doesn't fit with anything else Charlotte bot does in the episode except maybe the self-mutilation. He was never a predator. Teddy might fit, but Dolores didn't trust him in the park, why would she now? She knows he's not made for the revolution she intends. Also, why would he break down in tears watching Charlotte's message to her son? How is she expecting Charleddy or Charleter to infiltrate into Charlotte's life without setting off every alarm imaginable? Is all of Charlotte's backup also uploaded into their marble? That doesn't seem like something Teddy or Peter could pull off. I think if Charlotte bot was actually a Charlotte backup that hadn't been synced since her marriage/living situation had broken down could have been super interesting and would explain the crying, but that doesn't really line up either.

I guess it being another Dolores could make sense, but that would just lead to endless bullshit.

Teddy is the most obvious choice, but doesn't really fit and would be a wet fart of a reveal. Why waste time with all the "Who am I?" "You know who you are?" "I remember who I am." "Who am I again?" "You're you." nonsense. Westword's most satisfying mysteries have been the ones that are solved in the same episode that they were presented in.
    FreddyElisa
  • Maybe I'm alone in the thinking that this season is not nearly as convoluted as the guys are making it out to be. Or maybe that's me being too trusting that Joy and Nolan created a much less puzzlebox type of season. Yes we are 3 episodes in and don't know who any of the pearls are that she snuck off the island but other than that I think it's been very straightforward season so far. I don't think anything has been a simulation other than what was already revealed from episode 2 and after relistening to the instant take from last night I feel like the guys are over overthinking and complicating what the show is trying to tell us. Again I might be alone in thinking this or naive for thinking it is as straight forward as it seems but I'm thoroughly enjoying the season so I'm more than okay continuing my thought process. 
    FreddyCoryMurderbear
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    @A_Ron_Hubbard ; and @Jim - now that Caleb has been told about his future doesn't that change his future? And wouldn't the Rehoboam be aware of this change and now shift its predictions? How current is the information the Re-hobo have?

This is why WestWorld frustrates me. They never explain the rules. So they can change the story on a dime and claim it makes perfect sense because when a host is shot but from behind at an acute angle then........

I'm reading a lot of positive feedback but still not feeling the love. I know I'm in the minority but I don't think this show is any good anymore. And I soooo want it to be. 
    Elisamajjam0770
  • Rehoboam is Ciroc, right, I'm sure this has been said other places...
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 30
    BroRad33 said:
    Rehoboam is Ciroc, right, I'm sure this has been said other places...

Rehoboam? My yearly Bible education has activated. Look out for a Jeroboam. (PS. These references can be insufferable!)
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    awookiee said:
    Maybe I'm alone in the thinking that this season is not nearly as convoluted as the guys are making it out to be. Or maybe that's me being too trusting that Joy and Nolan created a much less puzzlebox type of season. 
    I'm the same, except - I do keep wondering if I'm just letting my guard down and a big mystery or two are going to sneak up on me, one(s) that I should have seen coming.
  • It's hard not to meta-analyze it. They go to such lengths to avoid revealing Hale's identity in the initial scene with her that the dialogue starts to get creaky. What reason could they have to conceal this except to drop some fuckery later?

The more I think about it, I can't really come up with a marble that doesn't rely on some fuckery. Does Dolores even have any friends? It seems like it's gotta be some sleight of hand or disinformation about the host back-ups, or some retconned relationship with a host/human.
  • Charlotte is Dolores and Dolores is Wyatt. Dolores split her personalities up before leaving the island. 

There's too much mirror imagery and the title sequence shows the story of Narcissus and how Icarus flew too close to the sun. 

Who wants to bet Dolores fights Dolores by the end of this season?
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    @A_Ron_Hubbard ; and @Jim - now that Caleb has been told about his future doesn't that change his future? And wouldn't the Rehoboam be aware of this change and now shift its predictions?
    It changes his future but not in a way that is likely to result in him getting a good job and having kids; he's joining "the revolution" against Rehoboam.

Rehoboam would recalculate his odds at some point and his future predictions would look different as his digital footprint changes.  Maybe Rehoboam only updates losers every day; who knows.  Once he's detected as actively going against R.boam the updates would be more frequent.

What reason could they have to conceal this except to drop some fuckery later?
    They've thrown so many different indicators it's hard to guess.  Right now I'm leaning on it being a version of Delores in Hale, with some BS leakage from Hale's identity.  Delores uses Hale host to escape, then makes a host in her own image so she won't be identified as Hale everywhere she goes, it's better to appear as Delores when getting revenge for Delores' treatment, etc.

Once Delores is in her Delores body, she puts an old Delores in Hale (or whatever mumbo jumbo effectively results in the same thing) and limits the host's abilities enough so it won't start printing a new Delores body and will do her bidding.

But then there's the self mutilation, the Hale leakage, etc. which makes me say, IDK, maybe Carole Baskin's missing husband is in there.

• edited March 30
    Caleb is dead he killed himself on the pier. He's a host/human hybrid like how we left the Man in Black at the end of season two. He's stuck in his loop and Dolores is trying to take him out of it.
  • lengmo said:
    They've thrown so many different indicators it's hard to guess.  Right now I'm leaning on it being a version of Delores in Hale, with some BS leakage from Hale's identity.  Delores uses Hale host to escape, then makes a host in her own image so she won't be identified as Hale everywhere she goes, it's better to appear as Delores when getting revenge for Delores' treatment, etc.
    The problem I have with this is that it seems like it would have come up in the conversation between Hale and Dolores. But I also would have thought Hale might ask who the other marbles are. Maybe hosts are just incurious
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    lengmo said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard ; and @Jim - now that Caleb has been told about his future doesn't that change his future? And wouldn't the Rehoboam be aware of this change and now shift its predictions?
    It changes his future but not in a way that is likely to result in him getting a good job and having kids; he's joining "the revolution" against Rehoboam.

Rehoboam would recalculate his odds at some point and his future predictions would look different as his digital footprint changes.  Maybe Rehoboam only updates losers every day; who knows.  Once he's detected as actively going against R.boam the updates would be more frequent.

What reason could they have to conceal this except to drop some fuckery later?

Once Delores is in her Delores body, she puts an old Delores in Hale (or whatever mumbo jumbo effectively results in the same thing) and limits the host's abilities enough so it won't start printing a new Delores body and will do her bidding.

But then there's the self mutilation, the Hale leakage, etc. which makes me say, IDK, maybe Carole Baskin's missing husband is in there.

You sound so confident you know things. Joanna Robinson confident. I’m jealous. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I think Delores is in Hale's body, but also all of the Hale info is in Hale's body as well. And that's what is causing Hale to "crack up", she's either "degrading" like James Delos, or literally breaking through trying to regain control of "her" body. It's likely the Wyatt half that's still in the Evan Rachael Woods body.
  • edited March 31
    Is anybody else noticing the southern twang that “Charlotte” is affecting when she recites her name while holding the mirror up to her face? Apparently none of my friends are hearing it, but I swear it’s coming out of her mouth as “Charlotte Hay-el” which is how Dolores 1.0 would have said it. 

It also would make me feel much better about that “You belong to me” line if it’s literally her original program.

• lengmo said:
    The problem I have with this is that it seems like it would have come up in the conversation between Hale and Dolores. But I also would have thought Hale might ask who the other marbles are. Maybe hosts are just incurious
    Maybe Dolores changed her programming to be incurious.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited March 31
    lengmo said:
    [...]
    You sound so confident you know things. Joanna Robinson confident. I’m jealous. 
    :-) Just my guesses.  Agree that Decoding Westworld is a great podcast for Westworld.

The Bald Move guys keep bringing up the possibility of two timelines.  I wonder if one of the timelines is when Delores as Delores is running around in between sessions of reconstructing Bernard's personality, and the other timeline starts once Delores lets Bernard leave.  So a month or two difference?  Just enough to make the show more confusing on first watch.

Teresa from Concord
  • Cory said:
    awookiee said:
    Maybe I'm alone in the thinking that this season is not nearly as convoluted as the guys are making it out to be. Or maybe that's me being too trusting that Joy and Nolan created a much less puzzlebox type of season. 
    I'm the same, except - I do keep wondering if I'm just letting my guard down and a big mystery or two are going to sneak up on me, one(s) that I should have seen coming.
    And even if there is a big twist I'm not seeing, I'm happy about that. I love the twists that have been included with this show and I'm one of a few that didn't hate season 2. I thought they took the puzzlebox element a too far last season but I still really enjoyed the show. It makes rewatches that much more rewarding. Like I've said before I know I'm in a very small minority group with that but it pains me to see the guys so skeptical of so much they are seeing so far in season 3. I understand that's part of their job as critics and podcasters of the show but it's a bummer when they seem to focus so much on that.
    Murderbear
  • I have always been a huge evangelist for this show, but holy crap I am pretty fed up with this last episode 
    Elisa
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    So on her podcast Joanna Robinson mentioned that the poetry of Mark Strand was heavily influenced by the paintings of Ed Hopper, and that some of the shots from this season might have been inspired by his work. Didn't recognize the name, but knew his work once I googled it. Of course that's the Art History 101 stuff that Nolan and Joy love to throw in the show. These three all obviously remind you of the diner scene. Hopper has lots of paintings of women laying on beds and looking out windows so I could definitely see some inspiration there. 

BrooklynMD