Westworld - 304: The Mother of Exiles

Directed by: Paul Cameron
Written by: Lisa Joy and Jordan Goldberg

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    The title is presumably a reference to a moniker for the Statue of Liberty. 
  • How do we watch the Instant Take? Youtube Live?
  • @SuperDuperKyle
    There will be a link on the BM front page. I don't think the youtube link is on there yet

SuperDuperKyle
  • How do we watch the Instant Take? Youtube Live?
    Typically there has been a link to their youtube live channel by this point but I'm sure it'll be coming shortly. 
    SuperDuperKyle
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Hopefully @Cecily @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim know there isn't a link yet...
    ladylarsen
  • edited April 6
    Hopefully @Cecily @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim know there isn't a link yet...
    That's what I'm hoping too.  I would assume they would see the chat portion of it empty and realize something is up. 
    Murderbearladylarsen
  • They aren't streaming live on their youtube page either so I'm guessing they just haven't started yet

• edited April 6
    Typically they've got the link up and the chat has already been going strong for a little bit but I'm guessing they just haven't set up the livestream yet so they don't have a url to post on the Bald Move site. 
  • The link has always been up before the episode ended, remote podcast issue I guess.
    foehammer88
  • Link in @baldmove tweeter account said go to twitch to. Check it out.
  • GBraltaGBralta San Diego, CA
    I’m thinking we will get a podcast but no live instacast. 
  • would be nice of them to let us know that, instead of waiting around
    ladylarsen
  • you can log in if you aren't logged in as a club member. it's the reverse of what it should be. at least right now, i said something in youtube chat
  • huge said:
    Link in @baldmove tweeter account said go to twitch to. Check it out.
    I don't see the tweet nor are they live on Twitch
    SuperDuperKyle
  • MichaelMichael Virginia
    i hope it’s just a glitch, and not they are moving their videos to Twitch. 
    I’ll catch the podcast in the morning I guess. 
    Great episode BTW. Got a lot of info! Reminds me of the Bugs Bunny cartoon Playing baseball. 
  • edited April 6
  • i think you can see it now actually... i logged in and it's now visible

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    They aren't on Twitch. YT link is live now
    foehammer88
  • Dolores this episode:

tpelzyDnowelsh
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    William is just me after a month of social distancing lol. 

So the William at the end of the episode is a host right? Like he went thru the whole bicameral mind thing. 
    Elisa
  • I can’t remember a show that frustrated me as much as this one. It would be one thing if the show was just bad and I would just stop watching. But there is so clearly an incredible kernel of ideas at the core of this show, but Nolan and Joy spend nearly all of their time misleading and obscuring meaningless plot points that there’s no time for any of the actual good stuff. 

The tricks worked incredibly in Season 1 because it was novel and more importantly it was thematically relevant. Obscuring the fact that it was a bunch of Dolores copies is just a dumb rug pull, and they spent nearly the entirety of half the season fixated on it. Can anyone explain how this is thematically important or how it changes our understanding of any of these characters? 
    MajorMalfunction
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited April 6
    [...] Nolan and Joy spend nearly all of their time misleading and obscuring meaningless plot points that there’s no time for any of the actual good stuff. 

[...] Obscuring the fact that it was a bunch of Dolores copies is just a dumb rug pull, and they spent nearly the entirety of half the season fixated on it. Can anyone explain how this is thematically important or how it changes our understanding of any of these characters? 
    Maybe there's something interesting to be said if the members of the Dolouroboros start diverging.  Maybe the Dolouroboros is just a distraction, keeping people from focusing on what some are saying are the real twists, different timelines or some/all of the action happening in Futureworld/a simulation.

• I can’t remember a show that frustrated me as much as this one. It would be one thing if the show was just bad and I would just stop watching. But there is so clearly an incredible kernel of ideas at the core of this show, but Nolan and Joy spend nearly all of their time misleading and obscuring meaningless plot points that there’s no time for any of the actual good stuff. 

The tricks worked incredibly in Season 1 because it was novel and more importantly it was thematically relevant. Obscuring the fact that it was a bunch of Dolores copies is just a dumb rug pull, and they spent nearly the entirety of half the season fixated on it. Can anyone explain how this is thematically important or how it changes our understanding of any of these characters? 
    I understand your frustrations and I know a large majority of the theory crafting out there has focused on who is inside Hale's head but I'd be disappointed if episode 1 they just came out and said Hale is Teddy or Angela or Dolores. I feel like it only made sense that who Dolores took out of the park was going to be a mystery. 

I will admit it was a bit anticlimactic of a reveal but I feel a big part of that comes with the fact it has been theorized and talked about a fair amount on the web. Regardless of who's pearl was in Hale's head someone would have predicted it because there were predictions for every single character that's been in the show... Even the elephant and tiger thanks to our favorite podcasters lol. 

All in all I've been very happy with this season. It's not nearly the puzzlebox that last season was but they haven't gone away completely from the puzzlebox. Aaron Paul is killing it and aside from some of the action scenes the acting has been absolute top notch. But as discussed in this episodes instant take, i appreciate that it's actually the actors doing those scenes and not stunt men and women with quick cuts.
    MurderbearKillert0astladylarsenElisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    At this point Westworld has become a background watch at best for me.
    ElisaMajorMalfunction
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    My son says Dev is amazing, but I've been holding off because i suspect my brain can't handle Dev and WestWorld. After this episode I believe it's time to switch things up, and just like @fidoz, move WestWorld to background watching...maybe. It's not about twists or timelines or how many Delores' is too many, it's simply not an interesting story.

Elisa
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I have a higher tolerance for WW reveals than most I think but if we get to the end of this season and most of what we watched was a simulation I think I’m done with this show. Although I don’t know that they’ve been greenlit for a season 4 yet so the show itself might actually be done this season. 
    BrooklynMDElisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    My son says Dev is amazing, but I've been holding off because i suspect my brain can't handle Dev and WestWorld. After this episode I believe it's time to switch things up, and just like @fidoz, move WestWorld to background watching...maybe. It's not about twists or timelines or how many Delores' is too many, it's simply not an interesting story.

Devs is amazing. 
    Teresa from ConcordGiovanniElisa
  • awookiee said:
    I understand your frustrations and I know a large majority of the theory crafting out there has focused on who is inside Hale's head but I'd be disappointed if episode 1 they just came out and said Hale is Teddy or Angela or Dolores. I feel like it only made sense that who Dolores took out of the park was going to be a mystery. 
    I think Dave Chen said it best on Decoding Westworld when he said that the problem with this show is that you don't even know who you are watching when you are watching the show so it is impossible to have real investment in what is happening on the screen. What's actually happening would wildly depending on which character we are watching, but because Nolan and Joy refuse to tell us that for no particularly good reason you just end up watching a whole bunch of images on screen instead of a story unfolding. 

If they had told us that these were all Dolores from the beginning, there could have been a really interesting arc about how external experiences can overcome the most base primal instincts. But they have instead chosen to hide that for nearly the entirety of the first half of the season. Like I said,  I was a huge fan of Season 1 and thought they were at least doing interesting things in Season 2. But this season is like going to a funhouse but spending your entire time just looking at one trap door. There is nothing interesting about the door itself, just like there is nothing interesting about the mystery itself without the context around it. 
    majjam0770Elisa
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    It just hit me they're doing Kubrick references this season. Episode 1 it was 2001, and then this episode the masquerade orgy party harkens to Eyes Wide Shut. The Shining is one of my fav movies so hopefully it gets a reference too. 
    Elisa
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    fidoz said:
    Devs is amazing. 
    It is but those of you thinking of watching it be aware the pace is glacial, which you might also find annoying.

I'm glad the next on Westworld preview indicates a possible shift from mostly talking and posing to action.