“Perry Mason” on HBO starring Matthew Rhys premiering June 21st

If they do this right I could be so down for a period piece film noir adaptation of this character. Also, I greatly miss Matthew Rhys on my television. 

Hollyoaktom_gshakabryBen

Comments

• I will be tuning in - looks great!
  • Wow.  That looks like Mickey Spillane's Perry Mason.  
    Dee
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    very in.
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    At first it seemed kind of weird but then I realized its HBO and it always has a degree of high quality to their shows. 
    I do like Matthew Rhys a lot.
  • If Jim and Aron ever do a podcast about this the video should be in black and white and they should wear trench coats
  • Looks great! John Lithgow! I'm in.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Wow.  That looks like Mickey Spillane's Perry Mason.  
    Yeah, I am definitely going to watch, but I saw very little lawyering. I am down though.
    DeeElisa
  • JimJim
    edited April 18
    I love Matthew Rhys and the trailer looks good but I have no affinity for Perry Mason as a character. (He's a little before my time) It'll have to either get some really good buzz or be one of the only things available to watch for me to check it out. The release date makes me think there's a good possibility of the latter though.
    Elisa
  • Jim said:
    I love Matthew Rhys and the trailer looks good but I have no affinity for Perry Mason as a character. (He's a little before my time) It'll have to either get some really good buzz or be one of the only things available to watch for me to check it out. The release date makes me think there's a good possibility of the latter though.
    If it helps, it would be another pretty great opportunity to wear a fedora
    JimKillert0astElisaGiovanni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Isn’t Perry Mason a lawyer? Why is he poncing around like a private detective?
    ElisaGiovanni
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 19
    Yes, he was the archetype of the defense lawyer with I believe the trope of the special surprise testimony he elicits that changed everything near the end of the episode. He also has a loyal secretary and a stalwart investigator.  Nothing of which seems to be in that one trailer I watched. 
  • edited April 19
    I think I saw someone say this is more based on the books than the older TV show.
    edited June 20
    Ok, so Perry Mason is apparently a private investigator with war trauma in this "adaption."  Seems like it's related to Perry Mason in names of characters only.  I'm fine with it, I don't have any affinity for the books or old TV show, but what's the point of changing such a major facet of the character?  If you wanted to make a California period detective show, are more people going to tune in to watch because it's called Perry Mason instead of Philip Marlowe or Lew Archer?  
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Doctor_Nick Well, that makes the trailer make a lot more sense. But yeah, weird. The original series was on TV mid-arvo here when I was a kid and I used to watch it on holidays or when I’d managed to wangle a sickie and I always loved the bit where Perry would eventually harangue the real killer into standing up in the court room and screaming, “It was me! I did it!” 
    Flukes
    I forgot to include the review I got this information from.  It is weird since that TV show was such the archetypal defense attorney show.  
  • has anyone else checked out the first episode?
    if so, what did you think?

found it pretty unremarkable, but, may continue watching since i like some of the cast well enough...
  • I tried watching this and couldn't even make it through the first episode. Maybe it gets better, but I thought it was boring. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    My first thought as I was watching ep 1 was Hey look Shea Whigham on a HBO show. Who could've predicted that?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Shea Whigham is one of my absolute favorite actors. I love that guy. 
    fidozneilfgks
  • I tried last night but found myself continually dozing off. I’ll give it another week before I make a decision 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I'm glad Ray Liptrapp is getting some work.

• We bailed after 20 minutes are so.  May come back after the full season airs.  Started the Deuce (finally) and having a much better time.
    Again, it's just strange they needed to call a bottom of the barrel muckraking private investigator Perry Mason for some reason.  
  • It looks like they literally borrowed some old microphone props from the latest Penny Dreadful for some scenes. It's actually really weird how both shows have some mega church, some conspiracy, a 'Sister" of the Church that gives speeches through the exact same microphone and the church may somehow be involved in the murder plot, while the representative  "Sister" of the Church has a dubious mother in both shows. Did they join forces on this, or is it just a coincidence?
    BourbonQueen
  • edited July 2
    That being said. When it does apply to Penny Dreadful (I know it's off topic), I enjoyed the show overall. But I found the parts where Margaery from Game of Thrones was playing a Mexican, or Chicano etc. Out of place. The whole Pachuco "West Side Story" Musical Side Story took me out of the moment every time they did it.  And I just could not by Natalie Dormer seriously as a member of some Pachuco Gang. 

Honestly I think this show could have been told completely without any super natural involvement at all. 

• BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    I must be in the minority bc I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I know nothing of the original material but it’s been a really good watch so far. 

I do find the mega-church thing between this and Penny Dreadful kinda odd. But then again I bailed on Penny Dreadful (both versions) after the first or second episode. 
    neilfgks
  • i've stuck with it and have been appreciating it a bit more (...enough to keep watching, anyway)

has anyone else kept up?
    opinions?
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    I've been digging it in a not-so-guilty pleasure kind of way. Nothing too new on the screen but nicely done and with enough mystery to keep me watching.
    Chinaskineilfgks
  • JamesJames southern California
    edited July 20
    It looks like they literally borrowed some old microphone props from the latest Penny Dreadful for some scenes. It's actually really weird how both shows have some mega church, some conspiracy, a 'Sister" of the Church that gives speeches through the exact same microphone and the church may somehow be involved in the murder plot, while the representative  "Sister" of the Church has a dubious mother in both shows. Did they join forces on this, or is it just a coincidence?
    Both are set in the 1930s, this show in 1932 and PD:COA in 1938, I think. Set in LA, they are practically required to have some representation of Aimee Semple MacPherson (Sister Aimee), who built and preached from Angeles Temple (20+ sermons/week) and broadcast her sermons nationwide over radio. She created the first Megachurch and, while technically not a televangelist, she was the first to make full use of new technological resources to reach a huge audience. Her mother, Mildred Kennedy, ran the business end of the organization until she left the organization in the late 1920s.

Sister Aimee's decades in the spotlight included many rumored affairs and even a sudden disappearace for five weeks, at the end of which she turned up in a hospital in an Arizona border town claiming to have been kidnapped.  Some claimed that she had actually spent several weeks "shacking up" with a former male employee.

The arcs of  "Sister Alice" and "Sister Molly" bear a striking resemblance to the life of the real Sister Aimee, and her life provides ample kindling for crime mysteries set in 1920s-1930's Los Angeles.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    The gals on My Favorite Murder rave about this show. I've stayed away because the whole Perry Mason thing sort of pissed me off. But if I pretend he is anyone else maybe I'll enjoy it.