Animal Crossing

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Me last week LOL. My poor little 30 inventory space.

Flukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^baller
    edited April 30
    cdrive said:
    JaimieT said:
    cdrive said:
    Cecily said:
    @cdrive and @JaimieT You can cause them to spawn?  How do I do that?  Can you recommend the video you watched?  

I saw a neat trick on causing Sturgeon to spawn when they were available last month and that was great while it lasted.

Yes you can!   So @JaimieT I heard AC did not patch the Tarantula farming but it does take longer in April because of the water bug like you mentioned.  But heck man those things are 2 G's a pop so if I come back with 60% full on water bugs and 40% full on tarantulas then I'll be pretty happy.  I got my 4th row this week so I'm ready to load em up! 

@Cecily

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-make-a-tarantula-island-in-animal-crossing-/1100-6475594/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZKabOuMtU

Also re: April 30 as the last night, I think we're going to be okay with scorpions in May. I believe they will sell for the same, and spawn in a similar way. 

@Cecily I can't remember what I saw now. It was something on YouTube and there are a lot of videos. 

If either of you are having trouble, feel free to ask me questions! I've gotten pretty good at this.
    I like how when they get aggro you just freeze until they put their legs down again and then you creep closer.  Also I like the method where you dig 4 holes all around you and jump out.  Make a bunch of those spread out and then when they chase you then you run back and hop over one of these 4-hole safety areas.  Then just net them from inside the safety area.  Easier said than executed I bet so I might need to bug you.  Get it? Bug...you?   - Dad. 

You're going to put your Switch down for the night in the see spiders everywhere.

Also I didn't try the freeze and approach method, for a long time. I just kept going at them until they rushed me. I got the timing right of grabbing them AS THEY RUSHED ME. I was working with a 30% or 40% capture rate for a while. Insane. #gitgud 

It's definitely better to approach them slowly and let them settle down before you do. 
    cdrive
    edited April 30
    Everyone!

Nook Stop ATM --> Nook Shopping --> Special Goods --> scroll down to the bottom, there's a KK song that switches around daily. 

If you ever see KK Sonata, I need it!! I'll pay you back, pretty please?
    cdriveCecilyFlukes
    My island is open rn if anyone wants to see why I need the sonata music.  :o
    I time traveled this evening. They patched it so I only got 10k interest. But it was neat cause I got future and past gifts. Also my older dude got a ton of weeds back on the island which he needed for a current project he’s doing.  Come on Tarantula time!  20 more minutes for me in CST. 
    JaimieT
    This is the song of our time.

cdrive
    I came back with like 3 or 4 tarantulas and lots of water bugs. Lots of work! 
    JaimieT
    cdrive said:
    I came back with like 3 or 4 tarantulas and lots of water bugs. Lots of work! 

Yes, when you said you were fine with water bugs, I thought, Oh you shall have water bugs! I trashed 6-10 water bugs for every tarantula. Don't make me do accounting on that.  :D
    cdrive
    Well, it's that time in the game where I make my beautiful island ugly in order to unlock paths.
    Cecily
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited May 1
    After reading up on Tarantula farming, I bought a ticket and got the bamboo island. The bamboo island spawns a lot of Tiger Beetles (1500b) and Wharf Roaches (200b) but fortunately they're both easy to scare off without catching. I filled my inventory with Tiger Beetles and Tarantulas, then started replacing the beetles with spiders. I ended up with 10 tarantulas before I sort of ran out of patience. I estimate I was bit by another 10.

I learned that the hole traps are not foolproof if you only dig four holes. Tarantulas can zip in diagonally if they get lucky with pathing. I settled on running around and heading to a trap whenever I see a tarantula. I didn't have a lot of luck trying to get them to chase me then hopping into a trap, so if they don't chase me straight away, I hop back out and creep up on them.

It took a little time, but I was able to pay off my loan and get my first room added to my house. I still have some money trees and turnips and a couple days to bank some bells before it's time to buy more turnips. In a good place right now. Looking forward to seeing if I can farm scorpions the same way.

Edit: With the change of season, we should see something like this in the island rotation now:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalCrossing/comments/fu3gbi/scorpion_island/
    JaimieT
    Scorpion farmed tonight. Came back with 9 of those bad boys before I had to bail.  I pulled the mountain island with no fresh water so it was helpful to up the spawn rate.  
    JaimieT
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    edited May 2
    I've been to 4 islands so far and I can't find a spawn island, sigh. 
    Cecily said:
    I've been to 4 islands so far and I can't find a spawn island, sigh. 
    Aw man :( 

You got to take every single weed and tree trunk and literally everything down and then throw all that on the beach. Then chase away fish and bugs religiously full sprinting all over the island. That sucks if you’re doing all the things and still getting nada. 
    I just keep getting these tiered islands with detailed water features!
    cdrive
    Literally any island CAN spawn tarantulas, it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend hunting them. 

Okay, here's what I watched before.

Important info you're missing, I think, is how to make certain points of your island unspawnable. 

This guy says bury your stuff; you don't need to. Just plop it far away, in the sand. 
    Cecily
    edited May 2
    Also I've only gotten an island without water ONCE, and it was a 3-tiered mountain. I did it on that island. 

On that island, the tarantulas that spawned, I had created such a hell for them that they only wanted to die. They walked down the sides of the empty mountains and into the ocean. I had to catch them not before I aggro'd them, but before they took one look at their life and ended it.

It makes you think.

That was truly an expert mode hunt.

I lost many tarantulas to the waves.
    FlukesCecily
    edited May 2
    Other good tip (and this tip, this old fucking hardened tarantula hunter doesn't want to give away to all you whipper snappers who hunt scorpions now and walk downhill to school)

Are you ready?

Just, fucking remember me when it comes time to share catalogs and KK SONATA ESPECIALLY...

Don't run with your net out. Your net is what aggros them. Run with something else, or nothing. Pull your net out after you see them, and then slow approach them, letting them rear up and come back down, and never worry about digging a hole in your life. 

Because the worst thing is aggroing them before you even see them. That's why the holes. But you don't need that. Just keep your net in. Then take it out.

You think they'll attack you with a pole, but they won't. They'll leave you be. They're quite peaceful creatures and we should respect them.

It's been self defense all along. I'm sorry.

And be careful taking the net out, don't let them see you take it out, or they will bite you before you can turn around to look at them.

FlukesCecily
    Also, if it's raining, bend down and kiss the dock at the dodos feet, because the crickets don't spawn in the rain. In April anyway.
    Cecily
    Omg we’ve been time traveling to Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, and people’s birthdays. It’s ridiculous haha. 
    JaimieT
    cdrive said:
    Omg we’ve been time traveling to Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day, and people’s birthdays. It’s ridiculous haha. 

Am I wrong that the game has lost its joy when you're driven to do this for fun?
    JaimieT said:
    cdrive said:

Am I wrong that the game has lost its joy when you're driven to do this for fun?
    No no come on!  :D we’re not driven to do nuthin and lost joy is too harsh man come on!  This game is nonstop candy on many levels.
    JaimieT
    cdrive said:
    JaimieT said:
    cdrive said:

No no come on!  :D we’re not driven to do nuthin and lost joy is too harsh man come on!  This game is nonstop candy on many levels.

You're like the people who read the end of a book first!  :D

cdrive
    I'm checking for KK Sonata every day! Thanks for the tips!! I'm humbled in your presence. 
    JaimieTFlukes
    I did it!!! I am the master of scorpion island!!!!
    JaimieTcdrive
    Cecily said:
    I did it!!! I am the master of scorpion island!!!!

Nice! Feels good. Addicting. Good job. 
    Cecily
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Woop woop. KK Slider performing on my island tomorrow. Can finally start properly planning!
    CecilyJaimieTdarwinfeeshyFlukes
    This (short) article killed me. I don't think turnips are "totally broken," but I do think it's way too similar to life.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2020/05/03/calculator-lets-face-it-turnip-prices-are-totally-broken-in-animal-crossing-new-horizons/amp/
    I tried to be slick time traveling around with turnips within this week. Don’t do it. Spoils your turnips. I burnt myself for about 50 grand.  
    edited May 3
    cdrive said:
    I tried to be slick time traveling around with turnips within this week. Don’t do it. Spoils your turnips. I burnt myself for about 50 grand.  

When I saw your username as updating this page, I imagined you were gonna say, "Hey I got turnips!" and I was going to say, "Oh, your TT days should be done then!" to warn you. 

For this reason, I rather like the "broken" stalk exchange. It forces you to play the game as it was meant to be played (mostly). There's comfort in the waiting, and in spacing out the content.