Silicon Valley

ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
This show is so great this season. It's the only show that seems to FLY by and I'm genuinely pissed when it's over.
steph_bNathanBourbonQueen

Comments

• ShumShum Utah
    Agreed, the characters are all so good! Even the sad sack from the office is super funny in this show. I'm loving everyone they've added this season also. I loved Russ Hanneman reacting to not being a billionaire this last episode.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Down to 2 commas is the worst!
  • I still laugh out loud when I think of Gilfoyle and Dinesh's SWOT analysis from last week :)
    ghm3
    That was such good writing. The pros and cons of letting an asshole die.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I completely fell in love with this show and characters after binging all of it before season 2 dropped. It's so, so funny. Although, gotta admit, season 2 is definitely not making me laugh as much as season 1. Feel like they are getting bogged down in a little too much plot and not having quite as many good character moments. Sad it will be over in two episodes! 
  • It's a solid show but I had an issue with last night's episode.  Mainly with the deletion stuff at the end.  I just wouldn't think that they would have been given that kind of access where they could have gone in and deleted all of the files. 

The Let Blaine Die SWOT analysis was the highlight of this season though.

AntManBeeghm3
  • It's a solid show but I had an issue with last night's episode.  Mainly with the deletion stuff at the end.  I just wouldn't think that they would have been given that kind of access where they could have gone in and deleted all of the files. 

Agreed. I found that really disappointing.
  • @dochielomn Yeah I agree that whole thing was really dumb. Not only is the whole premise that holding the delete key (in a compression status window?) could delete said content, and super fast, and prevent anyone else in the house or the admin at the other location from simply killing the connection is completely stupid. It also sort of pretends that the company doesn't back up their data, which is just as absurd.

On top of that, I'd think a screw up this severe would completely tank a fledgling company like PiedPiper trying to make a name for itself, so it'll be interesting to see where they'll take it from here. It seems like it was a really just a way to set up getting rid of the three comma douche but I wonder how they'll address the damage done to the company even if he's out of the picture.
    AntManBeeksa1001
  • ghm3, yeah I agree about the backing up your files thing as well.  For the most part, I'm just assuming that it's a repeat of last season how you don't think they're going to make it and then something happens that will save the day for PiedPiper.

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I loved the first half of season 1. The second half, I thought it was okay, but I wasn't laughing too much, and some subplots were just so exhaustingly exaggerated (the guy whose name no one knows, which I forgot myself, following Google maps onto a shipment boat). The show was mostly grounded in reality, but suddenly the characters were doing outrageous stuff for (apparently) laughs. Okay, whatever, maybe season 2 will improve.

... I couldn't get past 2 episodes. Maybe I will try again later, but it was painful. I'm picky about comedies because I start to feel both bored and full of pity when joke after joke whooshes past me without even a brain laugh.
  • JaimieT, I'd suggest watching the episode called Homicide (season 2 episode 6).  If I'm remembering right, that episode has a hilarious scene in it (at least in my opinion).  Then again, if you're not really enjoying the series, I doubt 1 scene from 1 episode would really make you want to watch the rest of the show.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA

JaimieT, I'd suggest watching the episode called Homicide (season 2 episode 6).  If I'm remembering right, that episode has a hilarious scene in it (at least in my opinion).  Then again, if you're not really enjoying the series, I doubt 1 scene from 1 episode would really make you want to watch the rest of the show.

I'll check that episode out. I mean yeah, probably won't convince me to watch the show further, but maybe I'll go out on a bang at least.
  • So i'm guessing I wasn't the only way waiting for Erlich to screw over Richard (either purposely or accidentally) when Erlich took the stand and the lawyer started going after him?  It's interesting that they had Richard tell the truth (personally, I was fine with him lying but I understand/respect Richard for being honest).  Think in the real world, he's screwed.  But in tv world, maybe the judge sides with him.  Also, Dinesh and Gilfoyle were great last night with Jarred and how Jarred "killed" the guy at the end.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I'd be interested in hearing what some of the lawyers in the baldmove community think about the case.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I know a little bit about IP law, and my read is that this is bullshit, that you can't win a company worth hundreds of millions of dollars because you compiled one piece of code on their equipment. Maybe they gets something on that kind of technicality.  I mean, look at the Social Network.  To the extent that movie is even loosely based on fact, shows that things aren't nearly that cut and dry.  

I thought the data loss was pretty funny though, I know some people had an issue with it.  From my career at IT, it is kind of shocking how exposed some companies run in some areas.  I once took over a gig at a very large, 500million/annual revenue company.  When I audited their backup system, I discovered to my horror that because of carelessness and poor practices, the company's financial data hadn't been successfully backed up for over three months.  In fact, the only tape I found that I could be sure that I could get data out of was almost six months old. 

I've heard second hand accounts of oversights as bad or worse. I'd expect better from an actual firm who's core business is IT, but you never know. 

I think as a TV show, and a comedy at that, you have to over look certain less realistic things to enjoy the broader story.  I've certainly had to turn my brain off about some of the coding and technical details (though not nearly as much as I feared when I started the series, they get a lot of the feel very right and have a good handle on the technobabble), I'm sure the legal situation is about the same.  As about as accurate as a scene involving a disbarred lawyer in a binding arbitration situation where both sides are using a variation of the Chewbacca defense as an opening salvo.  
    Freddy
    To be fair, the Chewbacca defense did get O.J. Simpson off.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Haha, the Chewbacca defense.  Hadn't thought about that one in a long time.  Love it!  Looking forward to the finale episode and what happens.
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    edited June 2015
    I love this show. Mainly for the secondary plots- the dick-jerk algorithm, the homicide swot analysis, Schrodinger's dead or alive paradox... I also like the supporting characters, especially Big Head and the billionaire "Tres Commas." They are all really good though. I always like the music they play during the credits, too.
    AmbitiousBukky
    joschman said:

... I always like the music they play during the credits, too.

Yes they have great taste in music selections.

I think this show belongs to be paired with Game of Thrones more than most would think. This is the only "comedy" I can think of that likes to give the characters a small victory and then kick them in the teeth afterwards (and the audience for that measure).
    AmbitiousBukky
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This is true. However, it has to be said that Richard is the Ned Stark of management. 
    ksa1001Natter Cast
  • I found the ending to this season interesting.  Clearly, when the arbitrator ruled in favor of Hooli and Richard thought he lost, I was waiting for the judge to say "But....." or "However....".  Interesting that Richard won based upon what appears to be no compete clause basically which in CA is illegal.  I did also enjoy how the guys back at the house were clearly stalling because none of them wanted to delete it.  Although, it was really messed up how they were get excited over the workmen's suffering basically because it was drawing viewers and their stuff was working flawlessly.  However, at the actual ending I think I need to go back and re-watch the start to this season.  I thought Monica had her own shares in the company and thus had her own board seat.  So I didn't think her company could take that.  So, unless Monica was just representing the company as a board member, then there's no way they could have had the majority vote.  But, we'll see where season 3 goes. 
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Yeah Pied Piper needs a Varys. 
    ksa1001
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited July 2015
    Snack Dick! love it. Just started watching this show and I am hooked. 

AntManBee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I just caught up with the season 3 opener after realising it was back, and it was great. I don't understand a word they say when they're talking about the technology stuff, but it has enough KOTH-ish hilarity to appeal to me, and I love Zach Woods' character's relentless optimism and Bill and Dinesh's constant bickering and occasional agreement (the "RIGBY discussion was gold).
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I thought the premiere was great. BamBot, the Aviato bit, and Jared's, “You’re the belle of the ball, and these are all your swains hoping for a glimpse of ankle,” were three instances that I rewound just to laugh again.
    ksa1001
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Aviato was the best! The pronunciation just made it. :-D
    ksa1001
  • Tobolowsky is a great addition to the cast.  I thought he was the funniest thing about the premiere aside from maybe the RIGBY discussion.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Is this show every anything other than great? Love this show.
    Freddy
    edited April 2016
    @Jim I second that. Tobolowsy getting punched in the face in Groundhogs Day is still one of my all time favorite physical comedy moments in film/tv. Based on that alone he can do no wrong in my eyes.
  • Pound for pound I think this is the funniest show on TV right now (Veep may be a close second, the premiere was really really good this season ... Jonah belong demoted to work under the Harry Potter staircase was hilarious).

Tobolowsky is a fantastic addition to the cast. I also loved Big Head falling into a $20 million severance package. And of course pretty much everything Ehrlich (his old man jokes! Aviato!) says has me cracking up.

RIGBY
    Drew