307: Passed Pawn

Directed by Helen Shaver
Written by Gina Atwater

Comments

• Don't lecture me you fucking can opener. 
     :D 

awookieeblacksunrise7
  • great episode, no wasted scenes and everything pushed the story forward
  • Episode full of exposition but done so in a very effective way. Everything was much needed to push the plot forward. Makes me even happier knowing this has been renewed for a 4th season.
  • Great setup for the finale next week! Very excited
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 27

Dolores: "I'm like you."

Solomon:

tpelzyDummyBloodyTacoFreddyMurderbearEine FrauJimmanhattnikDoctor_Nick
  • All the signs are pointing to Dolores actually dying in the finale but I find that extremely hard to believe. There is no greater champion for this show than Evan Rachel Wood I cant believe they would want to write her off. 
  • All the signs are pointing to Dolores actually dying in the finale but I find that extremely hard to believe. There is no greater champion for this show than Evan Rachel Wood I cant believe they would want to write her off. 
    I couldn't see the show without her at this point. I think Aaron Paul had been a breath of fresh air to this show but they don't nearly have the line-up depth to kill off the main character. All the other characters are so far removed from their original plots they're just being written as whatever antagonist role they can fit in to.
  • “We were deployed to Crimea. Russian Civil War. There was nothing civil about it“

I guess I’ll pretend that writing and dialogue aren’t one of the shows many issues because the action sequences are so stellar. 
    manhattnik
  • Both Caleb and William do have the same patient ID. UM27021001912B.

Does that mean Caleb is William?
    Cory
  • I don't think William is actually an outlier right? Cause why would Rehoboam just catch it now. I wonder if Dolores used Caleb's status to get him admitted.
    Cory
  • Peeps said:
    Both Caleb and William do have the same patient ID. UM27021001912B.

Does that mean Caleb is William?
    There was that transition shot from Caleb to William
    Peeps
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Don't bring a knife to a drone fight.

Did the EMP wake up everyone in suspended animation, or kill them?  Also, the Westworld universe has suspended animation, no biggie.

The overall conflict between Maeve and Dolores seems increasingly forced.  Why doesn't Dolores ask Maeve what she wants?
    Pangs
  • edited April 27
    I can’t believe how wildly similar this has become to Person of Interest, Nolan’s previous show, with dueling AI programs and everything.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Good thing there was an EMP bomb just sitting in this facility with a priceless AI bot and thousands of people in cryo-stasis...
    CapeGabeBroRad33Freddymanhattnik
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I mean it’s not the best solution but they did explain in episode that Serrac made that to stop Solomon from escaping. 
    Also, I don't believe the hologram of Serac was proof he is no longer alive. As Jim pointed out a week or two ago, they have cut to Serac on his plane or in an office directly after showing his hologram talking to someone. Also, he physically killed Liam Sr. bashing his face on the wing of his own jet. No reason to believe that was a simulation.

I am definitely confounded though on why William and Caleb have the same number. Maybe that code represents any dope who falls under Dolores' spell ha!
    awookiee
  • I really hope Maeve has some kind of double-cross planned with Serac. I understand her quarrels with Dolores after season 2 but I find it hard to believe that Maeve would align and trust Serac knowing full well what he's doing to all the hosts. 
    MurderbearEine FrauBloodyTacoPangs
    edited April 27
    Alkaid13 said:
    I mean it’s not the best solution but they did explain in episode that Serrac made that to stop Solomon from escaping. 
    Yeah, I do now remember them saying something about preventing his escape but, how exactly would he/it escape? Roll out? Put his consciousness into someone? Then you're relying on someone knowing he did that. But I guess it makes sense. They would want some kind of fail-safe.
    Just now finished the live watch. Caleb did have two different re-programming sessions. Looks like one when he got out of the military and one after he killed Francis. They cut to him with buzzed hair and one with the same hair he had after killing Francis.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Yeah the “big pharma” guy they kidnapped mentioned that they had already been to Sonora once during that scene. 
    Murderbear
  • “We were deployed to Crimea. Russian Civil War. There was nothing civil about it“

I guess I’ll pretend that writing and dialogue aren’t one of the shows many issues because the action sequences are so stellar. 

They already featured a Guns N' Roses cover this season, so I'm hoping this line was an homage to their song "Civil War" because yea, it's pretty bad.
  • I feel asleep during the episode. No hyperbole. Think it just doesn't do it for me anymore. "It's not you, it maeve"
    CoryPangs
  • Is it wrong that I want the end to be an epic battle between battling armies of the small drones?   With the battle ending when a drone belonging to an upstart rebel takes out Rehoboam with an impossible shot down a ducting vent that is Rehoboam's one weakness?  

Then a pan out to Dolores, Caleb, Serac, Maeve, Will, etc holding drone remotes and throwing them down in disgust while only one of them celebrates victory.  

• @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim I thought yall would have noticed this, doesnt this mean Caleb was 'reconditioned' 2 times. Or at least 'visited'
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    So, Soloman is scheming to neutralize the outliers, even though he can't "escape?" He's somehow cut off from the "real" world? So what is Rehoboam up to then? Is this already AI vs AI and I'm just too obtuse to figure it out?
  • edited April 30
    Maybe this is a dumb question; if the EMP disabled all of the devices/robots/electric systems on the premises, are all of the outliers dead now? They were in cryo/in stasis/on life support right? It seems like pulling the plug would probably kill them?
  • Acarey001 said:
    Maybe this is a dumb question; if the EMP disabled all of the devices/robots/electric systems on the premises, are all of the outliers dead now? They were in cryo/in stasis/on life support right? It seems like pulling the plug would probably kill them?

I'm thinking this is one of those things that, if done in the real world they would totally die because I'm sure there's some sort of monitored/metered way to bring them out of stasis. BUT... it's Westworld, so if they show up as a pissed off army of humans who hate humans I won't be surprised at all.
  • Acarey001 said:

I'm thinking this is one of those things that, if done in the real world they would totally die because I'm sure there's some sort of monitored/metered way to bring them out of stasis. BUT... it's Westworld, so if they show up as a pissed off army of humans who hate humans I won't be surprised at all.
    I feel like it can probably be handwaved away by an offscreen backup generator or redundancy system or something. I mean this is probably the case considering it’s a medical facility run by ostensibly intelligent people, it seems like they would have a contingency plan for what would happen if they used the massive on-site EMP. But they went out of there way to show a blackout in the storage room, they could’ve spared .5 seconds of screentime showing it coming back online
  • Does anyone think that the dissociated memories of Caleb seem like William's 'hallucinations?? Could that mean William has been to Sonora for treatment?