Back in business!

Came to lurk on the thread for this and it didn't exist yet!

I stopped watching when BM stopped covering as I'm sure many did, but very much looking forward to getting back in the saddle and watching along with the guys. 

Revisiting after such a period away almost makes going back a kind of nostalgia trip. Feels like absence has made my heart grow fonder to some degree.

Should be fun, roll on June 9th!
DoubleA_RonBrooklynMDA_Ron_Hubbardblue_sleevecdriveAussieGregSchluppFlukesWalnut Freyalexander.klassenand 3 others.

Comments

• I am also happy to see them watching again.   Looking forward to the podcast in June. 
  • This is the best pandemic news I’ve had all day!
    DaniAxisRainAussieGregWaidHere
  • "In 300 years, when Evil returns... so shall we. Or, let's say baldmove starts covering the walking dead again. Just joking." :-)

Zsa004MurderbearFlukesA_Ron_Hubbard__SunspotsWaidHere
  • This might seem weird to some, but, I'll never watch TWD again, but, I will listen to the podcast.
    DoubleA_RonFlukescalebthrowerbazjensteralexander.klassenA_Ron_Hubbard
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    I’m so pleased.
  • I’ve also fallen off watching, but look forward to watching with BM and listening to the coverage.

Is Season 9 on Netflix or where can I find it to stream?
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited April 30
    Season 9 is on Netflix. 

I refuse to watch this show even if the guys are covering it again but I will read the Wikipedia summery of every episode which I think is good enough for TWD to be honest. 
    bazjensterFlukesDoubleA_Ron
  • Man, I wish I had marked my words, but when they announced they were stopping coverage, I definitely said out loud, “you’ll be back...” 

FlukesbazjensterA_Ron_Hubbard
  • tom_g said:
    This might seem weird to some, but, I'll never watch TWD again, but, I will listen to the podcast.
    Haha same. I barely background watched in the last couple of seasons that BM covered, but always listened to the podcast.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    MrX said:
    tom_g said:
    This might seem weird to some, but, I'll never watch TWD again, but, I will listen to the podcast.
    Haha same. I barely background watched in the last couple of seasons that BM covered, but always listened to the podcast.
    I will listen to the podcast as well without watching the show. I was already doing that before they stopped coverage originally. It's like my own personal version of a reverse Rah Rah Riverdale. I try to piece what is going on in the show based on nothing but the Bald Move recap.
    Schlupp
  • JimJim
    edited April 30
    tom_g said:

Definitely seems weird to me but you do you.  And apparently you do a lot of other people as well.
    bazjenster
  • GrahamGraham Grand Rapids, MI
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!
    I stopped watched when Rick left and was pretty pissed already about Carl. I still listened to podcast though until it ended, but then found I couldn’t sleep without listening to Watching Dead cast...fml. I been on a loop listening for 84 years I think. I know them all off by heart. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    In my opinion (for whatever it's worth), the show got markedly better once Angela Kang took the helm.  She stopped a lot of the Gimple bullsh*t moves and brought the show back to an early-seasons feel.  Also, the addition of Samantha Morton was great - she's a terrific actor and I was thrilled to learn that she'd been cast (as much as I don't like The Whisperers as a group of people).  Watching Dead was the podcast that introduced me to Bald Move way back when, and I'm super happy the guys have decided to continue with it.
    A_Ron_Hubbardlengmoblue_sleeve
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Jim said:
    tom_g said:

Definitely seems weird to me but you do you.  And apparently you do a lot of other people as well.
    Hell, I'd listen to a Bald Move podcast covering 7th Heaven.
    Chinaski
    I tell a lie- I tried watching a bit of TWD & was totally lost as there were so many unknown people I gave up, it just wasn’t like a small group anymore. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It doesn't seem weird to me. I used to love Television Without Pity, and I kept reading trashy reviews of old trashy shows I gave up on. It's like when you call an old friend and they catch you up on the goings on of all the tragic people you used to hang out with. Even without all the details, you "get it".
    bazjensterMmmBopMichelleCorydarthcaedus1138
  • I've never watched The Walking Dead and I've never listened to BM's coverage.  But since BM coverage is coming back I thought I would begin at the beginning and start listening.  I'm not even 10 minutes in and A Ron is saying he hates scary movies, they stress him out.  What?!  This is a huge shock to me bc the guys review a lot of scary movies.  What happened???  How do you learn to like / appreciate them?  I'm with 2011 A Ron  - I never watch them, they stress me out!
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    TWD still usually has some dumb stuff every episode, and episodes can vary in quality, but starting with season 9 episode 8*, TWD has gone back to being a show I enjoy.  There's been an increase in classic (as in good and proven, not old and tired) horror elements.  The pacing is much faster, so that key issue has been fixed. 

* Not that episodes 1-7 are bad, they just aren't improved enough IMO for me to recommend to people who stopped watching and need to be convinced it's worth returning.

Tomalexwhitham
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    My wife still enjoys it and I background watch it with her while reading comics.  

It's definitely gotten better, but I'm just not as interested due to developments with certain characters. 

I'm not going to spoil in case anyone is going to catch up, but I'm sure most people aware of the show will know what I'm referring to. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    JSDCA said:
    I've never watched The Walking Dead and I've never listened to BM's coverage.  But since BM coverage is coming back I thought I would begin at the beginning and start listening.  I'm not even 10 minutes in and A Ron is saying he hates scary movies, they stress him out.  What?!  This is a huge shock to me bc the guys review a lot of scary movies.  What happened???  How do you learn to like / appreciate them?  I'm with 2011 A Ron  - I never watch them, they stress me out!

In a word; desensitization. I was raised in an environment where it was forbidden to partake in most traditional horror movies. They were either demonic, or sadistic and violent, sometimes both, and either way verboten. So I made it to the age of 30 without watching something scarier than Gremlins and even something like that was a bit of a white knuckle experience during the "scary" parts. Same with haunted houses. Just the idea of going into one would stress me out.

Remember how when you were 3 and you skinned your knee and just would bawl and bawl because what the fuck even is pain and it's the worst and you don't like it? And then as an adult, you skin your knee and you might suck your teeth or curse but sometimes you laugh and you just clean up and get on with it? And then some adults start to really enjoy the rush from the sting and the mild pain, and start thinking of other things they can mix in there? Tattoos, piercings, body modification, spanking, hook suspension, masochism, etc. Chasing/intesifying that feeling.

I think many experiences are like that. Roller coasters, skydyving, spicey foods, bitter coffee, hoppy beers. First you find the stimulus unpleasant, but for whatever reason, you push on and develop an appreciation for it. I now have learned to enjoy that ice water down your spine, hair raising tingle you get with a really good horror movie, in the same way I love that feeling in my belly when going down a steep roller coaster hill. I'm kind of chasing the feeling I got from the first time I watch Paranormal Activity or The Conjuring. But bad horror movies don't do anything to me, they're either laughable or just "blah". Still haven't really learned to enjoy gore or pyschopathic misery for it's own sake, but I think it's just because I just don't like it. Same as coffee. The end result isn't, to me, worth the initial "gaaaaahhhhhh" stages of it all.
    JSDCAdarthcaedus1138
  • While TWD is still hot garbage, I am looking forward to your coverage because the podcasts are far more entertaining then the show. I bailed watching after Season 5, but I kept up with the podcats!

Do us proud guys! With this material, you can reach MST3K levels of humor and snark.

-waid
  • Jim and Aaron inspired me to do fan edits of this show so needless to say I am super f*#%ing pumped for this. 
    Hatorian
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited May 4
    Jim said:
    tom_g said:

@Jim

What do you mean by, I do a lot of other people as well??  LOL
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    WaidHere said:
    While TWD is still hot garbage [....] I bailed watching after Season 5 [....]
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion about seasons you haven't watched.  Others may disagree.

Season 10 91%
    Season 9 91%
    Season 8 64%
    Season 7 64%
    Season 6 76%
    Season 5 90%
    edited May 5
    I mean, to be fair, if you’re watching TWD 10 seasons in then I’d expect you have to like it. Like anyone who didn’t like Seasons 6-8 probably isn’t watching Seasons 9-10. Gotta account for sample size in these sorts of popularity surveys. 14ish million people were watching TWD in Season 6, 3-4 million are currently watching it. Just touting rating numbers doesn’t account for the insane drop off in viewer numbers that this show still hasn’t recovered from. 

I mean if we really want to math it out, numerically fewer people like Seasons 9-10 than Season 7. Let’s assume 100% of the viewing audience of TWD went on RT to review the show. This is a faulty assumption to begin with by the way because A. Most people who would take the trouble to go review a show on RT feel very strongly about that show one way or another which is partially why I don’t particularly find RT to be an accurate rating system in general and B. I’d bet maybe 50% of the viewer audience even bothers to use RT and that percentage is honestly probably too high, but for arguments sake let’s assume a 100% viewer to review rate. 

The average viewers for Season 7 was 11.34 million, taking that 100% viewer to reviewer rate that means about 7.26 million people thought S7 was good. Season 9 has an average of about 7.92 million viewers which means about 7.2 million people actually like that season, which means, numerically, about 60,000 fewer people like S9 than the worst rated season in the show’s history. Needless to say S10 has about half as many viewers as S9 so even fewer people like that season than the worst season in TWD. 

Now I don’t actually care if people like TWD, I think it’s mediocre show that’s never managed to string together a season that’s higher than a B at its best, but that’s like, my opinion man. If you like the TWD and think it’s better now you’re probably correct, it would be frankly unbelievable that TWD could get worse after S8 to be honest and continue to exist as a show. If you think S9&10 are in fact must watch television then cool, I’m glad you found a show you really like, I watch some shows other people would think is hot garbage that I think are actually pretty good. The reason I did this whole exercise is just to illustrate that if you’re relying on Rotten Tomatoes approval score to validate your opinion of your favorite thing or invalidate someone else’s opinion of their favorite thing then you’re probably doing it wrong. Other people liking a show you hate or disliking a show you like doesn’t invalidate your personal opinion so don’t feel like you have to back it up with faulty data, just own your opinions. 
    MmmBopHatorian
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    If someone hasn't watched seasons they crap on, what percentage accuracy should we assign to their views? ;-)
    I mean I haven’t watched the KKK version of “Birth of a Nation” but I know it’s crap. Cultural knowledge of a thing is usually good enough to inform an opinion on a thing. If you didn’t like TWD back in S5 the show hasn’t changed that much since then to warrant a revised opinion. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Alkaid13 said:
    If you didn’t like TWD back in S5 the show hasn’t changed that much since then to warrant a revised opinion. 
    Hard disagree.  It's SO much better than the downward spiral that Gimple subjected it to.
    lengmo