Quarantine self comforts

DeeDee Adelaide
How are you all comforting yourselves during these UNCERTAIN TIMES (tm)? I mentioned on the Corona thread that I actually love being at home and staying in, so this is not affecting me as much as other people, but I am still finding I have a lot more time on my hands as I’m not going to and from work or to supermarkets or anything. So I have had periods of getting antsy, and of course the fear of getting sick is very stressful. So here’s what I’ve been doing: 

1. Cooking a lot. So much food. My freezer is jammed with leftovers and yet I keep cooking. I’m making lamb shanks in red wine sauce on the weekend (it’s cold weather here now so perfect for slow cooking). 

2. Reading a lot, but not news. I had to stop constantly looking at news and now I just rely on my daughter to tell me if anything big is going on. I’m just reading trashy novels with the occasional non-fiction in between. 

3. Watching Bluey. I mentioned this in the bingeing thread, and I’m still obsessed with it. This is an Australian children’s cartoon that is on Disney + and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is pure delight. Get on it. 

4. YouTube rabbit holes. Recent topics I’ve wasted whole afternoons on - tiny houses, recipes, people cleaning their houses, 90s “whatever happened to them” music videos. 

5. Wine. I have to admit, I’m drinking more than I normally would. Not worryingly so, but might be time to put a lid on the nightly couple of glasses of red wine soon. 

Please share your own comforts. Or just talk about whatever, I don’t care - make it a general chat thread. Because I only really created it to remind you all of my absolute favourite celebrity fact that I bring up here at least once a year and is guaranteed to make me feel better no matter what my mood: 

These two guys are real life BFFs. 
NoelJaimieTElisa

Comments

• I've been cooking a lot too and made some interesting new dishes, while also getting completely sick of fried rice and stir fry. 

Happy hours with friends are still helpful and I've started paying to view some content too. The $6 I paid to hear about attempts to de-extinct the woolly mammoth was well worth it. And last night I watched a Zoom party from Endless Thread podcast that was pretty cool!

I'm envious that you're reading so much!  I have not had the attention span for it, but maybe it's time to try again. 

Oh! And it is supposed to be Jazz Fest in New Orleans so the radio station there (WWOZ) has been doing Jazz Fest in Place and streaming past performances. It's been amazing and I'll be sad when it ends on Sunday. 

Stay well, everyone!!
    Elisa
  • Who are the two guys in the picture?

I just watched the Parks and Rec special from last night. So fun seeing them again. Wonder if it will spark a trend. I vote Person of Interest
  • Focusing on working out and continuing to get in shape (although what I can do is limited)

Rewatching some old tv shows (I just can’t seem to get into watching most of the newer things on my list).  Most recent show is Golden Girls which is a nice fun background watch.
    listening to old podcasts again like watching dead.
    it sounds like others might be experiencing the same which is interesting.

Last week had a zoom boardgame night and I think we’re going to make it a normal thing.  It was the first time in 6 wks I had to make myself presentable to another human as I work from home and live alone in an apartment, get all my necessities delivered.

Pulling stuff out and organizing and cleaning.  Feels good to get it done but had to tell myself to relax after the first couple weeks of feeling a lot of self imposed pressure to get everything on the to do when there’s time list done.
    Elisa
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    jhpark said:
    Who are the two guys in the picture?

I just watched the Parks and Rec special from last night. So fun seeing them again. Wonder if it will spark a trend. I vote Person of Interest
    Parks and Rec special? How do I not know about this?
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Ketel One Vodka Holland 175 L
    ChinaskiDeeNoelElisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    jhpark said:

I might be in the minority but it felt a little too after school special for me. I think I might have been too cynical with every commercial being the same slow piano "we know how hard this is for you .... so remember .... here's a shot of a nurse..... Subaru...." style ones. It had some really good moments though. The ignoring Gary gag never gets old.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    dragons said:
    I've been cooking a lot too and made some interesting new dishes, while also getting completely sick of fried rice and stir fry. 

Happy hours with friends are still helpful and I've started paying to view some content too. The $6 I paid to hear about attempts to de-extinct the woolly mammoth was well worth it. And last night I watched a Zoom party from Endless Thread podcast that was pretty cool!

I'm envious that you're reading so much!  I have not had the attention span for it, but maybe it's time to try again. 

Oh! And it is supposed to be Jazz Fest in New Orleans so the radio station there (WWOZ) has been doing Jazz Fest in Place and streaming past performances. It's been amazing and I'll be sad when it ends on Sunday. 

Stay well, everyone!!
    I remember Ricky Gervais talking about the wooly mammoths revival attempt years and years ago when he had a radio show. Didn’t they have some DNA they were trying to clone or something? Did they get anywhere with it?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    jhpark said:

It’s Alexander Skarsgard and Jack McBrayer. 

I forgot the P&R special was happening! I shall seek that out later. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Shelly said:
    Focusing on working out and continuing to get in shape (although what I can do is limited)

Rewatching some old tv shows (I just can’t seem to get into watching most of the newer things on my list).  Most recent show is Golden Girls which is a nice fun background watch.

Last week had a zoom boardgame night and I think we’re going to make it a normal thing.  It was the first time in 6 wks I had to make myself presentable to another human as I work from home and live alone in an apartment, get all my necessities delivered.

Pulling stuff out and organizing and cleaning.  Feels good to get it done but had to tell myself to relax after the first couple weeks of feeling a lot of self imposed pressure to get everything on the to do when there’s time list done.
    I’m finding the same thing with TV. I have all these TV series that I’ve earmarked on streaming services or downloaded or whatever, and since I watch a lot of British shows, most of them are only 5 or 6 episodes, but I can’t seem to get around to them. Instead I’ve done a full rewatch of Modern Family, I dip into several episodes of Seinfeld most nights, and I just started rewatching 30 Rock. 

I’m having the opposite problem with cleaning - I am so unmotivated to do it. I’m hoping to work up the energy today because it’s starting to annoy me. I live in the city so everything gets dusty pretty quickly. 
    Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Coffee.  Although it’s a stimulant, a hot cup of coffee (especially in the morning) always soothes me.  I’ve been setting aside time every morning just for this purpose.  Everything else will still be there when I’m done.

I’ve also been working in my backyard a lot, tending roses & planting new flowers.  I also just bought a new table/chairs/umbrella set do I’ve been enjoying that.

TV.  Rewatching old favorite shows & keeping up with current ones.

And also, Bailey’s Irish cream.  It’s sooooo good in cinnamon vanilla coffee. :smile:
    DeeElisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    so our oven broke on Easter Sunday (boo!), but we still have old faithful.. the toaster oven! last night i was bored, glanced over to our counter, and noticed 3 bananas that were browning. to the internet! searched 'toaster oven banana bread'. and an hour later and we have banana bread! keep in mind i'm not a baker (i don't have the patience), but damn i was impressed with myself. plus i LOVE banana bread.
    DeeJaimieTMichelleNoelElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @michelle When I get up the first thing I do is sit and have a coffee. It’s kind of a “wake up but in a relaxing way” thing for me. I’m sensitive to caffeine so I only have two coffees a day, and I’m trash so it’s Nescafé instant, but it’s a routine I can’t give up. 
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski You should start a YouTube channel of recipes using a toaster oven!
    ChinaskiMichelle
    Dee said:
    @Chinaski You should start a YouTube channel of recipes using a toaster oven!
    i actually got the recipe from YouTube. the ingredients worked, the instructions not so much. 15 minutes?!? haha yeah right! i did 50 minutes. and no temp? i did  350.

Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski Does everyone in America have a toaster oven? They’re not really a thing here - I don’t know anyone who had one, but I hear them talked about a lot in US shows. 
    edited May 2
    Dee said:
    @Chinaski Does everyone in America have a toaster oven? They’re not really a thing here - I don’t know anyone who had one, but I hear them talked about a lot in US shows. 
    a lot of people i know do, and if y'all in the upside down don't.. i suggest you start the movement! i swear by mine.
    DeeMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m watching a show where Guy Fieri is cooking and I’m surprised by how low key he is. I’ve only ever seen him shrieking over giant hamburgers and found him really annoying. I quite like him in this mode.

ChinaskiMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Bourbon. Lots. IPAs. Some shotgunned. Mota. Perineum sunning. Maybe too much.  Ramen. Fuzz pedals. I have to drive sometimes. And catching up on missed TV shows. 
    JaimieTChinaskiDeeMichelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Dee said:
    I’m watching a show where Guy Fieri is cooking and I’m surprised by how low key he is. I’ve only ever seen him shrieking over giant hamburgers and found him really annoying. I quite like him in this mode.

He is actually is quite good. He plays the part that people expect of him. I sort of compare him to Gordon Ramsay. You see him as a complete maniac on American tv, but his UK stuff is much more restrained about team building. I like both gears. I like both gears for Fieri too, just because of the entertainment value. But it helps to know he is actually a really decent dude who is constantly donating, not just his money, but his time to help organize and cook for first responders whenever there are situations that need that sort of help. 
    DeeDoubleA_RonChinaskiMichelle
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Dee said:

He is actually is quite good. He plays the part that people expect of him. I sort of compare him to Gordon Ramsay. You see him as a complete maniac on American tv, but his UK stuff is much more restrained about team building. I like both gears. I like both gears for Fieri too, just because of the entertainment value. But it helps to know he is actually a really decent dude who is constantly donating, not just his money, but his time to help organize and cook for first responders whenever there are situations that need that sort of help. 
    Guy Ferrari, on the other hand....
    ChinaskiDeeMichelle
  • nealneal US
    Getting back on track with my reading goals for the year, revisiting YouTube channels I found through breadtube to check out their backlog, keeping a variety of beers in stock at all times, lots of video games both by myself and with friends, and going outside to walk or skate whenever the weather is nice. 

And since I’ve been working from home for over a month now, all of the above during the odd work hour. Except the beer. Not even once.
    DeeMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @neal I have so far resisted day drinking. I find I’m snacking a lot more though, since the fridge is only a couple of feet from where I’m working, and working at home can get boring because there are no distractions. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Traded my love for live music and theatre for lots of yard and garden work. And organizing/getting rid of things I haven’t used in a long time. I work M-F which keeps me busy (wine time starts Friday at 5) I’ll panic if I think I’ll run out of projects. I need to keep busy. 

Oh - and the baking. Even thought I’m GF I make kickass cheesecake and chocolate chip cookies. Expect to gain the Covid 15. 
    DeeMichelleShellyNoel
    i think i have Facetime'd more in the last 2 months than i had my entire life before that.
    Teresa from ConcordNoelMichelle
  • Dee said:
    Shelly said:
    Focusing on working out and continuing to get in shape (although what I can do is limited)

I’m finding the same thing with TV. I have all these TV series that I’ve earmarked on streaming services or downloaded or whatever, and since I watch a lot of British shows, most of them are only 5 or 6 episodes, but I can’t seem to get around to them. Instead I’ve done a full rewatch of Modern Family, I dip into several episodes of Seinfeld most nights, and I just started rewatching 30 Rock. 

I’m having the opposite problem with cleaning - I am so unmotivated to do it. I’m hoping to work up the energy today because it’s starting to annoy me. I live in the city so everything gets dusty pretty quickly. 
    If you like British shows and Ricky Gervais are you a fan of Karl Pilkington?  I’ve been relistening to all their old podcasts and xfm shows.  They always make me laugh.  I’ve started watching idiot abroad again as well.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Shelly I used to love the XFM Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington shows - in fact, I listened to a lot of them when they were actually on the radio because way back in the day they had a Saturday evening show that was also played online, and it was on Sunday mornings in my part of the world. 

However, these days I can’t stand them. My tolerance for whingeing middle-aged men who think everyone is “too sensitive” and “too PC” is less than zero. :-(