308: Crisis Theory

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
Directed by Jennifer Getzinger
Written by Jonathan Nolan and Denise Thé

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 4
    Dolores is John Wickin' hard.

Also, "You're all copies of me." is a great one liner.
    gjames80
  • What does it say about me that Good or Bad I’m rooting for Delores?
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    How are we in the third season finale and the amount of damage a host can take still seems arbitrary?
    edited May 4
    Maeve as flunky has been pretty disappointing this season.

What does it say about me that Good or Bad I’m rooting for Delores?
    Also, might have been nice to show a little bit about how an android dials up a revolutionary leader for a human quasi anarchist movement.  
  • That post credit scene (the best part of the episode) makes me feel like we could have skipped this whole season. We could have gone straight there after season 2 ended and skipped the Caleb/Serac/RoboHobo plot line entirely. 
    Hatorian
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I’m very doubtful that this is the end of Evan Rachel Wood on this show but I’m open to being surprised. 
    gjames80
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I’m very doubtful that this is the end of Evan Rachel Wood on this show but I’m open to being surprised. 
    Same. I got the feeling the wanted us to feel all the feels at Delores’s “death” but given that there are 4 other copies of her out there and that they could probably just restore her from the Recycle Bin if the plot required it, I just wasn’t moved by it. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 4
    @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim someone in chat in the instant talk suggested tagging @BaldMove if they're asking you a direct question or making a statement that they want your input on, and I agree.  It'll definitely help you to sort through the chat to get to the Q's you want. 

That said, you guys still did a great job at finding your way back to doing this with just the two of you again.  
    Thank you for your coverage this season. :)
    neilfgks
  • I really enjoyed this season more than season 2. I like all the crazy possibilities for the future as well.
    neilfgks
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    @Jim podcast not posted?
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Meh.

I'll say this much, I enjoyed it more than season 2. Then again, that's not saying much. 
    Doctor_Nickmanhattnikneilfgks
  • I liked this season, for the most part, it was pretty fun. Didn't hit the heights of seasons one but wasn't nearly as frustrating as season two. I feel this season could have used two more episodes. I would have like to have a little bit better picture of the "real world" before they tore it down.
    majjam0770gjames80
  • edited May 4
    I full on busted out in laughter when Marshawn Lynch was lined up at the 1 yard line and smashed through the barricades. 
    majjam0770FreddyMrXseauxphie
    edited May 4
    Yeah, the world could have really used some more building to better understand how the AI conspiracy worked with that setup.  It has the feeling of the TOPDAB (sp) from Mr. Robot that @A_Ron_Hubbard talked about - Rehoboam and Solomon had such precise knowledge of what was going to happen in the middle of their uncertainty about "variants" that it seemed all hand wavery.   

And I know William was having mental health issues, but a pretty dumb way to have his character end....
    neilfgks
  • @Doctor_Nick I felt the similarities to Mr. Robot. It almost seems like they'll have to do a little of that season 1 to 2 transition where they walk back the revolution a bit. Unless the jump way forward in time.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 4
    mykhailo said:
    I full on busted out in laughter when Marshawn Lynch was lined up at the 1 yard line and smashed through the barricades. 
    About time he got to apply his signature skill in the big game.
    majjam0770
  • Michelle said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim someone in chat in the instant talk suggested tagging @BaldMove if they're asking you a direct question or making a statement that they want your input on, and I agree.  It'll definitely help you to sort through the chat to get to the Q's you want. 

That said, you guys still did a great job at finding your way back to doing this with just the two of you again.  
    Thank you for your coverage this season. :)
    That was me, I sent in an email to the Westworld feedback box as well. Figured it's an easy no effort needed way to make that part of the instant take/talk easier.
    Michelleneilfgks
  • edited May 4
    I really enjoyed the season but I'm also the guy that loves season 2 for what it was as well. Season 2 was difficult to follow but i enjoyed the theory crafting and trying to figureout the puzzlebox throughout the entire season, plus 2nd watch was amazing.

Season 3 definitely turned the show in a very different direction taking place almost exclusively outside the park but it was inevitable. They definitely could have done things a bit cleaner in parts but overall I thought it was a fantastic season and a great ending. I really hope Evan Rachel Wood returns but I think the future of the show doesn't include her given the way the season ended.

Jennifer Getzinger most definitely deserves some praise as that was easily the best action this show has seen. Dolores going full John Wick on the bridge was amazing and put Evan Rachel Woods Taekwondo black belt to use. Marshawn Lynch was a great addition to the episode and season. Loved his character and never in a million years would I guess he'd have a role in a prestige HBO show. 
  • Can someone clear up something confusing? 
    When Lawrence shows up dressed as SFPD and gives Bernard the briefcase, what side is he on?
    Could he be the missing Dolores pearl?
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited May 4
    I went back and checked and when Lawrence takes his mask off he says "Isn't it great to see an old friend?" (The old friend phrase shows up so much in this show)

"You're one of her copies too."

Lawrence stares at him with a slight smirk and says nothing for a bit. "I've got something for you."

Bernard calculating what's happening "She already gave me something. Dolores, I can feel it in my head."

So looks like her five copies were Charlotte Hale, Musashi, Clementine, McConnells and Lawrence. Did we see Clementine die or survive last week? Now I can't remember if we're just down to Hale and Lawrence or if there is a third.
  • I went back and checked and when Lawrence takes his mask off he says "Isn't it great to see an old friend?" (The old friend phrase shows up so much in this show)

Lawrence stares at him with a slight smirk and says nothing for a bit. "I've got something for you."

Bernard calculating what's happening "She already gave me something. Dolores, I can feel it in my head."

So looks like her five copies were Charlotte Hale, Musashi, Clementine, McConnells and Lawrence. Did we see Clementine die or survive last week? Now I can't remember if we're just down to Hale and Lawrence or if there is a third.
    Clementine was one of the hosts that Maeve created. She attacked Musashi in the club and then Shogun world version of Armistace showed up as well.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    awookiee said:
    I went back and checked and when Lawrence takes his mask off he says "Isn't it great to see an old friend?" (The old friend phrase shows up so much in this show)

Clementine was one of the hosts that Maeve created. She attacked Musashi in the club and then Shogun world version of Armistace showed up as well.
    Shit, you're right. I was thinking it was a Dolores copy that Maeve was somehow able to turn. Neeeeevermind. So I guess Dolores Prime was considered one of the five.
    awookiee
  • Missed opportunity to bring back the piano version “where is my mind” for final scene with Maeve and CaleB; already had major fight club vibes may as well go all in
    awookiee
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    I really wanted to like this season.

I didn't, really.

It could have done with some Akecheta-quality episode.
    majjam0770Jim
  • I like this season OK - better than 2 for sure. Season 2 had me feeling like I needed to stop theorizing, etc because it was ruining stuff for me when the show didn't deliver. But it turns out that's the part I really love, and it was actually a not great show that ruined it for me. The show just isn't delivering on its own for me anymore, but I love love love the conversations and deep diving into all the philosophies and theories. Certainly it's disappointing when the show doesn't plumb a lot of those depths, but having the jump off point and people like Jim and A Ron to podcast about it is what does it for me.

tl;dr - Nutella on world class bread is amazing. But Nutella on random, middling bread is still delicious Nutella. Jim and A Ron, you are my Nutella even if Westworld is an almost stale piece of wonder bread.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Is there an official speech count? I’m guessing the total runtime minus dumb speeches is 10 minutes...11 if you count fight scenes in the dark. 
    seauxphie
    This is why Rehoboam is so menacing. 

Killert0astmylifeaskirkmajjam0770Giovanni
  • edited May 6
    It’s really reassuring that even in the future, the bar is so fucking low for mediocre white men that choosing not to rape someone means you’re good enough to rule the world. 

I have a real hard time reconciling the fact that after three seasons with ERW and Dolores, that she sacrificed herself for a white man and now we’re presumably stuck with shitass Aaron Paul who has one facial expression and says every line through his teeth and just generally sucks in everything.
    seauxphieTeresa from ConcordBloodyTacomanhattnik
  • It’s really reassuring that even in the future, the bar is so fucking low for mediocre white men that choosing not to rape someone means you’re good enough to rule the world. 

I have a real hard time reconciling the fact that after three seasons with ERW and Dolores, that she sacrificed herself for a white man and now we’re presumably stuck with shitass Aaron Paul who has one facial expression and says every line through his teeth and just generally sucks in everything.
    Woah, Aaron Paul sucks in everything? Dunno about that.