Season one coverage starts today! New format!

Hey everyone, we're starting our True Detective coverage today.  We'll be releasing a new episode every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday leading up to the June 21st premiere date, with a season two preview possibly going up Friday June 19th.

As always, iTunes feeds might take a day or two to establish, so if you're on iOS or otherwise, might have to wait or grab it from the website. 

Jim is experimenting with a slightly different style with this podcast, a bit more heavily produced and "interesting" sound, for lack of a better word.  We'd love to hear what you think about it.  We've recorded season one in advance, so it's unlikely we'll take feedback for these episodes, but certainly we'd like to hear your thoughts on season two for the preview cast.

Travisksa1001pavlovsbellhypergenesbElisaAndrewMmmBopFlashGordonphil_nekoNikkiPand 4 others.

Comments

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Cool cover art!
    Elisa
  • The intro part felt a bit too rushed. Jim sounded not like he was talking to me (or Aron), but instead was reading fast. 
  • Is anyone else having trouble playing this on baldmove.com? I tried the GoT instant take and it worked fine, but true detective won't load at all. I'm only having this problem on my S3, though.
  • The True Detective podcast played for about 5 minutes online and then it just stopped.  I guess I'll wait until the feed is up and running on iTunes.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    GTFO! This is great!
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I love your disclaimer for the one person who's like, "Why aren't they changing the sound? This sounds terrible! Dammit! Let me send in another email..."

I haven't heard it yet. Looking forward to listening.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Waiting for Stitcher :-)
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    It's up on iTunes. I like it but...35 minutes? Will this be the norm ?
  • I enjoyed the different format. Definitely felt a bit weird but I did like that the recap stuff was summarized nicely and most of the podcast was left for observation and conversation. 

• I liked the formatting a lot, the summary and the music inclusion worked really well. Enjoyed the first cast too, my re-watch begins this evening!
    angryjef
  • I liked the formatting a lot, the summary and the music inclusion worked really well. Enjoyed the first cast too, my re-watch begins this evening!

agreed. There was one point in the cast where there was a slow drum beat over Aron's talking that eventually led to a cut and music. really enjoyed that. At first I thought there were real drums where I was at the time of listening. 
  • The intro part felt a bit too rushed. Jim sounded not like he was talking to me (or Aron), but instead was reading fast. 

it felt a bit weird to me at first because its so different. I am also sure it was Jim's first time doing it so I imagine it will get better for both us as listeners and Jim with more experience. 
    AmbitiousBukky
  • @Hatorian ha I did the the exact same thing, had to take my head phones out to check
    Hatorian
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    As far as length, they are extremely variable.  I think this is the shortest, but episode 3, for example, is well over an hour.  Removing the recap saves a lot of time.  Of course, in season two, we'll have feedback.
  • AndrewAndrew New York

The intro part felt a bit too rushed. Jim sounded not like he was talking to me (or Aron), but instead was reading fast. 

I agree, although it got a bit better towards the end.  In general, I prefer the other format, where it seems that conversation arises organically.  Whenever you guys make edits on other casts, it feels pretty evident.  Nevertheless, I feel like this might work better for season 2, when we're actively watching the show with you.  For shows that aren't current, like Breaking Bad for example, I hardly ever re-watch and get to re-live it through your recaps.  I remembered the bones of the 1st episode, but a lot of it was in the fuzzy parts of my brain, so I couldn't relate to it on the same level as you fellas could.
    DJS22867
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited June 2015
    I don't understand why everyone's waiting for a separate feed to appear on iTunes and Stitcher.
    It already exists in a feed – The Full Bald Move feed: 

http://baldmove.com/feed/podcast/

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I like the sound stuff! Really fits well with the mood.
    Yeah, all the feeds are there from the jump, it's just that if all you know is iTunes, iOS, I don't think it's self-evident how to add a feed you can't browse from the iTunes ecosystem.  At least, judging from our support feedback, that's the A#1 issue, how to get any particular feed into your podcast aggregator of choice.  It's not hard, but it's not obvious either.

Not doing a full recap was a concern because I agree, I think it's harder to follow which episode you're in if you just listen to the show and haven't recently watched it.  I just finished listening to the entire catalog of Up Yours Downstairs after the latest Downton Abbey concluded.  I'm positive I would have not done that if it were this style and not a full recap podcast.  The question is, how many fans engage in the podcasts this way versus the ones who are just listening in real time with the show, or after recently watching / binging past season?  We'll see how big a concern it is.  This is an experiment for us, so any / all feedback is appreciated. 
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    I think I need a recap as some scenes I have forgotten. Not every scene but hopefully, you get what I'm saying.
    DJS22867
  • There are a lot of things I enjoyed about this new podcast. I love the interspersed music throughout the episode as well as Jim's narrations of the plot points. It really fits the mood of the show. I love the mining the psycho-sphere segment. One of the best things of experiencing Season 1 for the first time was being a part of all the theorizing and speculation that happened from the water cooler to the web. It's great that your going back and culling some of those initial reactions.

One thing about Rust's drunken dinner scene that you didn't mention was when they were discussing the plans for that night, Marty told him he could bring some wine. Rust replied that he didn't drink. So for Rust to show up at Marty's house loaded and with flowers was another very funny moment for me in that episode.

I also found your discussion of how this show treats women in relation to the male protagonists very interesting. I always felt that it wasn't really about watching two strong men protecting female and child victims, but more about how we see a world portrayed through the eyes of these guys and how helpless they are in preventing the awful things that go on around them. And in a lot of ways, especially for Marty, we learn they are very much a part of this ugliness in the world.

It's this aspect from which I see similarities to Eyes Wide Shut. Dr. Harford goes on this journey spawned by the idea of his wife's fantasized infidelity and encounters this sewer of an underworld that sells, exploits and destroys women around him. He is both helpless to stop it, but finds that he is just as much a part of it.
    ElisaHatorianDaveyMac
  • MichaelMichael Virginia
    I've had this show queued up to watch. Now I am along with your podcast releases.  
    At first I didn't realize what Jim was doing. I could tell he was reading from a script, but as the pod went on, and he read between discussion, it was good. 
    So, yea, great format. Seems a bit more structured to discuss events and not just shoot from the hip and jump around. 
    Keep up the great work! (and let's get Daredevil in the lineup)
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    I am really enjoying this! I unfortatnly did a rewatch like a couple months before this...but oh well :)  BTW, LOVE the format of this show, love love love it.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Halfway through and I am really enjoying the Cast - I watched True Detective for the first time two weeks ago, so it is pretty fresh in my mind.  The analysis, review of themes, and characters is really good.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @Jim @A_Ron_Hubbard I'm only 3 minutes in but I love the new format. Jim's opening voiceover is perfect, and the episode recap is perfect. Mission Log Podcast recaps the episode in 2 or 3 minutes at the beginning of each show too, but the kicker is that the hosts take turns each week being the one who does the recap. That could be fun too. I''m really digging the idea of this new format.
    Elisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2015
    Watching episode 3 and one of the conversations that really stuck out to me was the importance or perceived importance of religion. Marty feels religion is a vital cog in keeping humanity sane while Rust thinks people who are only good because of religion are psychopathic. That really got me thinking. As someone who was grown up as Christian but eventually believed all religion to be an elaborate scam (or at least severly abused, misrepresented and taken advantage of) its really an interesting debate. Even if religion is a scam does it serve a better purpose and get order in the world? I think most of us would view ISIS and say fuck no. But would America be bat-shit crazy without some belief in a higher being and punishment for bad deeds? I mean look at the other side of the spectrum. relgion is used to kill millions. Can it also be confirmed that it saves millions?
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My first impressions of episode one were a mix of ARon and JIM - I was shocked at the intensity and bleakness but I also was drawn but their partnership and how different they both are and some of the comedy.  The scenery is very real, though I've only visited Louisana once.  The psychobabble of McCoughnahey's character was jarring.  He is such an amazing actor and the chemistry between he and Woody was almost surreal.
    @Hatorian - I guess that would be the "opium of the masses" theory.  I suppose it depends on your view of human nature.  Maybe people need religion because they've been told they need it all their lives.  Or maybe it's an in born need.  Maybe some don't need any sort of belief structure at all.  What kind of person would that even look like?
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    Hatorian said:

I mean look at the other side of the spectrum. relgion is used to kill millions. Can it also be confirmed that it saves millions?

No I don't think so. I don't think you can trick people into being ethically or morally righteous while it's easy to trick them into the opposite. The closest thing we have to accomplishing that is contemporary capitalism which sets out to use people's selfish interest to attain some balance. We all know what that looks like and what limits there are to it.

Even if you were to burn the current holy books, which are basically full of explicit poison and composed to serve as political control mechanisms to divide and rule, and write new ones they would soon be perverted and reinterpreted by power-mongers and psychopaths.

Time and time again we've seen idealistic experimental communes and social structures starting and inevitably devolving into fascism. It doesn't really seem to matter if they are religion, philosophy or economy based. From peace-loving "everyone is equal" hippie communes and religious sects to Marxist communism; fascism seems the inevitable outcome.

We do our best to safeguard our democracies from this fate by building in fail-safes that are based on lessons from history but our collective memory is short and it seems to be only a matter of time.

This might seem like pessimism but it's actually realism and a motivator to keep innovating while looking back, trying learn from past mistakes and avoiding rigid idealism that can be turned against itself.
    Elisaksa1001DaveyMac
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    Damn yall are going back and doing season 1?!?!?! Yes!!!!!!!!
  • I think the only way we find out is if religion is 100% confirmed to be bullshit. Not sure I want to be around for the day that happens...