Another Music Game - Best Song Ever For....

I was catching up on the Music Exists podcast and they had this great episode where mostly Chuck Klosterman kept tossing out scenarios and they would pick "the best song ever" for said activity or scenario. I've been digging these music threads so I jotted them down and figured I would toss them out to the community. Klosterman brought up, and I agree about how it is interesting, that the answer you choose says interesting things about how you view things by adding an expression to the answer. Anyhoo, have at it:

What is the best song ever for:
1. Mowing the lawn on a hot, humid summer evening
2. Being in a basement, about to fight somebody
3. Wash a lot of dishes
4. Moving furniture
5. Give your significant other bad news
6. Any nautical experience
7. Being on horseback
8. Have playing on your headphones when you are going to steal something
9. Dig a really deep hole with a shovel
10. Wearing headphones when your plane lands in London
11. (subquestion) When that same flight takes off
12. Painting the interior of a house
13. Playing pick-up basketball
14. Playing slow pitch softball
15. Walking through the town that Halloween took place in, but not having anything to do with the murders. Before ever they happened.
16. Putting together a really complicated jigsaw puzzle
17. Song for New York (not about New York)
18. Looking down over Los Angeles on your way to move there (probably better articulated as looking down upon Los Angeles from an airplane for the first time, never having been there before)
19. Played live at the Cotton Bowl
20. Shopping (general, maybe clothes shopping)
21. Specifically shopping at a hardware store
22. Watching television and having a commercial come on where someone is smoking a brand that you don't smoke and selling a laundry detergent that you don't use... in essence being bombarded with a lot of consumer imagery that doesn't relate to you at all.
FlukesfidozcdriveCretanBull

Comments

• fidozfidoz Houston
    Cool. I'd been thinking about this since I listened to that episode. I really didn't like CR's choices.
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 15
    This took A LOT of thought.

1. Mowing the lawn on a hot, humid summer evening:  Don Henley - The Boys of Summer
    2. Being in a basement, about to fight somebody:  Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name
    3. Wash a lot of dishes:  Jack Johnson - Washing Dishes
    4. Moving furniture:  Phillip Phillips - Home
    5. Give your significant other bad news:  Guns n Roses - Don't Cry
    6. Any nautical experience:  Christopher Cross - Sailing
    7. Being on horseback:  Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
    8. Have playing on your headphones when you are going to steal something:  Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    9. Dig a really deep hole with a shovel:  Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt
    10. Wearing headphones when your plane lands in London:  ABC - Tower of London
    11. (subquestion) When that same flight takes off:  John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane
    12. Painting the interior of a house:  Mika - Grace Kelly
    13. Playing pick-up basketball:  Cypress Hill - Jump Around
    14. Playing slow pitch softball:  Beyonce - Who Run The World (Girls)
    15. Walking through the town that Halloween took place in, but not having anything to do with the murders. Before ever they happened:  The Go-Betweens - Streets of Your Town 
    16. Putting together a really complicated jigsaw puzzle:  The Cure - Pictures of You
    17. Song for New York (not about New York):  The Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You
    18. Looking down over Los Angeles on your way to move there (probably better articulated as looking down upon Los Angeles from an airplane for the first time, never having been there before):  Weezer - Beverly Hills
    19. Played live at the Cotton Bowl:  Queen - We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions followed by Bohemian Rhapsody
    20. Shopping (general, maybe clothes shopping):   Madonna - Material Girl
    21. Specifically shopping at a hardware store:  REM - Finest Worksong
    22. Watching television and having a commercial come on where someone is smoking a brand that you don't smoke and selling a laundry detergent that you don't use... in essence being bombarded with a lot of consumer imagery that doesn't relate to you at all:  REM - It's The End of the World As We Know It
    Traviscdrive
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    #2 Made me laugh out loud.

johnnytruantTravis
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    being alone: Under the Bridge by RHCP
    Feeling like a Baller/have Haters: Cant tell me nothing by Kanye
    feeling special: DNA by Kendrick Lamar
    Travis
  • fidoz said:
    Cool. I'd been thinking about this since I listened to that episode. I really didn't like CR's choices.
    Yeah, I liked some more than others but I was surprised at how differently our perspectives were. One thing that I really did appreciate about his answering though is the conversation seemed "off the cuff" but he got pretty into his thinking. I liked how thoughtful he was even if our takes were different. I love that show. 

• fidozfidoz Houston
    Travis said:
    fidoz said:
    Yeah, I liked some more than others but I was surprised at how differently our perspectives were. One thing that I really did appreciate about his answering though is the conversation seemed "off the cuff" but he got pretty into his thinking. I liked how thoughtful he was even if our takes were different. I love that show. 

I think it helped a lot, at least for the first 6 episodes I know, CR went up to Oregon for a week or so and they were able to actually sit in a room together and have these conversations face to face instead of over the phone or zoom. You can tell they've known each other for a long time and have had many conversations like this at 1am in a shitty bar in NY. There were times I wondered if they shouldn't change the name to A Podcast about Steely Dan and Radiohead.
    Travis
  • @Michelle Thanks for playing. It really is a lot of thinking. I tried to just do a rundown of the list and it was a lot (plus it felt like I was diminishing the fun of it just trying to "speed round" it), so I'm probably going to do a couple here and there throughout the day

@Hatorian Nice additions, man. Gonna plug those into the sheet too.
    Michelle
    edited May 15
    @Travis I spent about 3 hours racking my brain to find songs to fit those questions.  I changed my basketball answer though - and for the Cotton Bowl one, for some reason in my head I was picturing the Hollywood Bowl.  So I deleted that answer & left it blank for now.  Does the band still need to be alive?  If not, I *might* have an answer.
    Travis
  • Michelle said:
    @Travis I spent about 3 hours racking my brain to find songs to fit those questions.  I changed my basketball answer though - and for the Cotton Bowl one, for some reason in my head I was picturing the Hollywood Bowl.  So I deleted that answer & left it blank for now.  Does the band still need to be alive?  If not, I *might* have an answer.
    The way I see it, it's literally any song. No alive/dead restrictions. If memory serves they actually talked about that directly when it came to the Cotton Bowl tune. Even if they saw it the other way I feel that it's fair game given the spirit of the exercise. I think of it as simply "what is the best choice" which I figure would open up everything.
    Michelle
  • fidoz said:
    Travis said:
    fidoz said:

I think it helped a lot, at least for the first 6 episodes I know, CR went up to Oregon for a week or so and they were able to actually sit in a room together and have these conversations face to face instead of over the phone or zoom. You can tell they've known each other for a long time and have had many conversations like this at 1am in a shitty bar in NY. There were times I wondered if they shouldn't change the name to A Podcast about Steely Dan and Radiohead.
    HA! Right? I get how those acts are topically interesting, but they sure do come up a lot. 
    You're right about that helping. I stopped listening for a while (I tend to forget about it because I don't generally listen to podcasts on Spotify) and coming back they really feel kind of "leveled up."
    Travis said:
    Michelle said:
    The way I see it, it's literally any song. No alive/dead restrictions. If memory serves they actually talked about that directly when it came to the Cotton Bowl tune. Even if they saw it the other way I feel that it's fair game given the spirit of the exercise. I think of it as simply "what is the best choice" which I figure would open up everything.
    Hmm ok, I edited my answer in then. :)
    Travis
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 15
    Okay some of these are super on the nose, some personal like my hardware store answer.....

1. Mowing the lawn on a hot, humid summer evening:  Ween – Push th’ Little Dasies
    2. Being in a basement, about to fight somebody:  The Walkmen – The Rat
    3. Wash a lot of dishes: Stereolab - Brakhage
    4. Moving furniture: Granicus – I’m Getting Out of Cleveland Ohio
    5. Give your significant other bad news:  Reigning Sound – If You Can’t Give Me Everything
    6. Any nautical experience: Christopher Cross - Sailing
    7. Being on horseback:  Sons of Pioneers – One More Ride
    8. Have playing on your headphones when you are going to steal something: Jane’s Addiction – Been Caught Stealing
    9. Dig a really deep hole with a shovel: Steely Dan – Dirty Work
    10. Wearing headphones when your plane lands in London: Slow Dive – Sugar For The Pill
    11. (subquestion) When that same flight takes off: Snoop Dogg – Soul Plane
    12. Painting the interior of a house: Crosby Stills Nash – Our House
    13. Playing pick-up basketball:  Kanye West - Mercy
    14. Playing slow pitch softball:  Bruce Springsteen – Glory Days
    15. Walking through the town that Halloween took place in, but not having anything to do with the murders. Before ever they happened:  M83 – Kim and Jessie
    16. Putting together a really complicated jigsaw puzzle: Hayley Mills – Let’s Get Together
    17. Song for New York (not about New York):  Ace Frehley – New York Groove
    18. Looking down over Los Angeles on your way to move there (probably better articulated as looking down upon Los Angeles from an airplane for the first time, never having been there before): Nipsey Hussle – Grinding All My Life
    19. Played live at the Cotton Bowl: Gary Glitter – Rock N Roll Part 2
    20. Shopping (general, maybe clothes shopping):  Gang of Four – Damaged Goods
    21. Specifically shopping at a hardware store: Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers – Islands In the Stream
    22. Watching television and having a commercial come on where someone is smoking a brand that you don't smoke and selling a laundry detergent that you don't use... in essence being bombarded with a lot of consumer imagery that doesn't relate to you at all:  Parquet Courts – Content Nausea

Travis
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    17. Song for New York (not about New York):  Paul Stanley – New York Groove
    Ace not Paul!  And originally by a band called "Hello" but its the Ace version that we all love!
    17. Song for New York (not about New York):  Paul Stanley – New York Groove
    Ace not Paul!  And originally by a band called "Hello" but its the Ace version that we all love!
    God dang it you're right!  How can I diss Space Ace!?!
    TravisCretanBull
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 15
    This is pretty cool. I think I'll build an overall playlist for these too. A lot of stuff I want to try out.
    @cdrive Hell yeah Islands in the Stream! The Springsteen with slow pitch softball feels good too.

1. Mowing lawn: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lodi
    2. Basement fight: Rocket from the Crypt - Bad Sonic Ninja
    3. Dishes: Charles Mingus - II B.S.
    4. Moving furniture: Cymbals Eat Guitars - Chambers
    5. Bad news: Air - High School Lover
    6. Nautical: Decemberists - Shanty for Arethusa (though I feel like I should be digging out a Pogues tune)
    7. Horseback: Calexico - Crystal Frontier (Widescreen Version)
    8. Stealing something: Bjork - Army of Me
    9. Dig a hole: Tom Waits - Hoist the Rag
    10. Landing in London: Blur - Parklife
    11. Take off to London: Radiohead - Planet Telex
    12. Interior painting: Paul Simon - the Boy in the Bubble
    13. Pick up Basketball: Blackalicious - Sky is Falling
    14. Softball: Pavement - Gold Soundz
    15. Halloween town walk: Blur - Trimm Trabb
    16. Puzzle: Yo Lan Tengo - Green Arrow
    17. New York: Dr. Octagon - Earth People
    18. Los Angeles: Frank Black - Calistan
    19. Cotton Bowl: AC/DC - Hells Bells
    20. Shopping (taken as groceries): Howard Jones - Things Can Only Get Better
    21. Hardware Store: Depeche Mode - Pipeline
    22. Non-relatable commercials: Fugazi - 5 Corporations
    23. Being alone: Elliott Smith - Independence Day
    24. Baller-time: Thao - The Evening
    25. Feeling special: Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
    cdrive
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    1. Mowing the lawn on a hot, humid summer evening:  Summer Time Rolls - Jane's Addiction
    2. Being in a basement, about to fight somebody: Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
    3. Wash a lot of dishes: I don't like long songs, but something prog-rock that would distract me for a long time
    4. Moving furniture: We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister 
    5. Give your significant other bad news: Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve?) - The Buzzcocks
    6. Any nautical experience: I want say Sailin' On by Bad Brains for cool points, but really it's Come Sail Away - Styx
    7. Being on horseback:  Horses - Patti Smith
    8. Have playing on your headphones when you are going to steal something: Mission Impossible Theme Song
    9. Dig a really deep hole with a shovel: Diggin' a Hole - Big Sugar
    10. Wearing headphones when your plane lands in London: London Calling - The Clash
    11. (subquestion) When that same flight takes off: Mama I'm Coming Home - Ozzy Osborne 
    12. Painting the interior of a house: Paint it Black - The Rolling Stones
    13. Playing pick-up basketball:  Jump - Van Halen
    14. Playing slow pitch softball:  Centerfield - John Fogerty
    15. Walking through the town that Halloween took place in, but not having anything to do with the murders. Before ever they happened:  Ghost Town - The Specials 
    16. Putting together a really complicated jigsaw puzzle: Corporal Jigsore Quandry - Carcass (for the longest time my friend thought it was called "Corporal Jigsaw Quandry"!)
    17. Song for New York (not about New York): Party All Night - Quiet Riot
    18. Looking down over Los Angeles on your way to move there (probably better articulated as looking down upon Los Angeles from an airplane for the first time, never having been there before): Welcome to the Jungle - Guns 'n' Roses 
    19. Played live at the Cotton Bowl: Smash it Up - The Damned
    20. Shopping (general, maybe clothes shopping):  We Gotta Get Out of this Place - The Animals (I hate shopping!)
    21. Specifically shopping at a hardware store: Divine Hammer - The Breeders
    22. Watching television and having a commercial come on where someone is smoking a brand that you don't smoke and selling a laundry detergent that you don't use... in essence being bombarded with a lot of consumer imagery that doesn't relate to you at all:  Commercial Rain - Inspiral Carpets 
    cdriveTravis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    After talking about it yesterday, it's been stuck in my head. So, my answer is the Mortal Kombat theme. All of them. Every situation. Mortal Kombat.
    CretanBullcdriveMichelleTravis
  • I didn't get a lot done this afternoon...

1. Mowing the lawn on a hot, humid summer evening - See America Right - The Mountain Goats
    2. Being in a basement, about to fight somebody - Justice Replaced By Revenge - Ringworm
    3. Wash a lot of dishes - Welcome to the Working Week - Elvis Costello
    4. Moving furniture -  Me and Julio Down by the School Yard - Paul Simon
    5. Give your significant other bad news - Lost in the Flood - Springsteen
    6. Any nautical experience - (Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
    7. Being on horseback - Poncho and Lefty - Townes Van Zandt
    8. Have playing on your headphones when you are going to steal something - Almost Crimes - Broken Social Scene
    9. Dig a really deep hole with a shovel - Vampire Blues - Neil Young
    10. Wearing headphones when your plane lands in London - Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse - Minus the Bear
    11. (subquestion) When that same flight takes off - Recycled Air - The Postal Service
    12. Painting the interior of a house - Is This What You Wanted - Leonard Cohen
    13. Playing pick-up basketball - Death Trap - Gravediggaz
    14. Playing slow pitch softball - Have You Ever Seen the Rain - CCR
    15. Walking through the town that Halloween took place in, but not having anything to do with the murders. Before ever they happened. - Cold World - GZA
    16. Putting together a really complicated jigsaw puzzle - Malmo - The Album Leaf
    17. Song for New York (not about New York) - Heaven - Talking Heads
    18. Looking down over Los Angeles on your way to move there (probably better articulated as looking down upon Los Angeles from an airplane for the first time, never having been there before) - Pictures of Success - Rilo Kiley
    19. Played live at the Cotton Bowl - Willin' -  Linda Ronstadt
    20. Shopping (general, maybe clothes shopping) - I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany
    21. Specifically shopping at a hardware store - Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles
    22. Watching television and having a commercial come on where someone is smoking a brand that you don't smoke and selling a laundry detergent that you don't use... in essence being bombarded with a lot of consumer imagery that doesn't relate to you at all.- Lost in the Supermarket - The Clash
    cdriveTravis
  • After talking about it yesterday, it's been stuck in my head. So, my answer is the Mortal Kombat theme. All of them. Every situation. Mortal Kombat.
    When I make up the playlist, I'll just put in the Mortal Kombat theme 22 times in a row.
    Murderbear
    Travis said:
    After talking about it yesterday, it's been stuck in my head. So, my answer is the Mortal Kombat theme. All of them. Every situation. Mortal Kombat.
    When I make up the playlist, I'll just put in the Mortal Kombat theme 22 times in a row.
    This reminds me a while back I posted “Greatest Playlist Ever” and it was just Bob Seger - Night Moves 20 times in a row. 
    TravisMichelleMurderbear
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    It is ridiculous how much time I spent working on this. Like seriously, why did this matter so much to me?

1. Mowing the lawn on a hot, humid summer evening: Drive-By Truckers - Uncle Frank (Alt version from The Fine Print)
    2. Being in a basement, about to fight somebody: Pearl Jam - Blood
    3. Wash a lot of dishes: The New Pornographers - Sing Me Spanish Techno
    4. Moving furniture: Uncle Tupelo - So Called Friend
    5. Give your significant other bad news: The Lemonheads - Hannah & Gabi
    6. Any nautical experience: Crosby, Stills & Nash - Southern Cross
    7. Being on horseback: Bob Dylan - Romance In Durango (Rolling Thunder Revue version)
    8. Have playing on your headphones when you are going to steal something: Bjork - It’s Oh So Quiet
    9. Dig a really deep hole with a shovel: Billy Joe Shaver - Manuel Labor
    10. Wearing headphones when your plane lands in London: The Verve - Lucky Man 
    11. (subquestion) When that same flight takes off: Jerry Jeff Walker - London Homesick Blues (Come on I’m a Texan)
    12. Painting the interior of a house: The Shins - Australia
    13. Playing pick-up basketball: Newcleus - Jam On It
    14. Playing slow pitch softball: Shooter Jennings - 4th of July
    15. Walking through the town that Halloween took place in, but not having anything to do with the murders. Before ever they happened: Pete Yorn - Strange Condition
    16. Putting together a really complicated jigsaw puzzle: Guided By Voices - I Am A Scientist
    17. Song for New York (not about New York): Talking Heads - Life During Wartime (Live)
    18. Looking down over Los Angeles on your way to move there (probably better articulated as looking down upon Los Angeles from an airplane for the first time, never having been there before): Rufus Wainwright - California 
    19. Played live at the Cotton Bowl: Paul McCartney - Live and Let Die (Saw it at the Astrodome it was incredible)
    20. Shopping (general, maybe clothes shopping): The Sleepy Jackson - Miniskirt
    21. Specifically shopping at a hardware store: Jason Isbell - Something More Than Free
    22. Watching television and having a commercial come on where someone is smoking a brand that you don't smoke and selling a laundry detergent that you don't use... in essence being bombarded with a lot of consumer imagery that doesn't relate to you at all.: Billy Bragg & Wilco - All You Fascists

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6rrtY7vXO8AEHFA4PgEotr?si=WmVx74FbRdO8556qdPm04g
    Travis
  • Ha! Bjork is for thieves.
    I love the Pearl Jam choice for the basement fight. That tune is bad ass.
    fidoz
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Travis said:
    Ha! Bjork is for thieves.
    I love the Pearl Jam choice for the basement fight. That tune is bad ass.
    Of course my thief is living life like it's a musical.