The Snyder Cut is coming, and so is the internet

I can’t tell you how hyped I am for all these people to finally shut the fuck up. 

BenDummycaddy43

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This is a bad precedent to set, I hope it's a failure so it doesn't encourage bullshit like this for every movie the loudest, angriest parts of the fanbase don't like.
    BenSomeBiscuit
  • Hopefully it will be like the Batman vs. superman extended cut, where it turns a shit movie into a mediocre movie. 

Justice league will need a LOT of work to not be shit, though.
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    This will also finally answer the question of if its possible to polish a Turd. 
    Deehisdudeness915caddy43
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited May 21
    This is a bad precedent to set, I hope it's a failure so it doesn't encourage bullshit like this for every movie the loudest, angriest parts of the fanbase don't like.
    It's not precedent-setting since the situation really is so unique. There are a ton of legit reasons for actual mild-mannered polite fans to want to Snyder cut. Assholes are going to be loud and angry for as long as the Internet continues to be anonymous.
  • edited May 21
    Ben said:
    This will also finally answer the question of if its possible to polish a Turd. 
    It’s going to be every bit the dark, incoherent, humorless dirge of a turd that everything else Zack Snyder has ever put on screen is, but they’ll all convince themselves that it’s a masterpiece and the new standard bearer for comic book movies. 

The “The Star Wars Prequels Are Great, Actually” people are about to have a serious contender for their Self-Deception World Heavyweight Championship.
    BenDoctor_Nickawookiee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I think this is fine. Give the people the art they want; that seems obvious. We're all writing fan fiction at this point in narrative history anyway, fans and studios alike. We're getting used to describing what version of something we like.
    Hatorian
  • When is the Snyder Cut of the last three seasons of Game of Thrones coming out?

Hatorian
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I can’t tell you how hyped I am for all these people to finally shut the fuck up. 

Why does it bother you so much if you aren't interested in it?

I'm excited to watch it because of all of the horrible personal things that happened to the director while it was being made.   

It's not hurting anyone, a lot of the footage is already there, I don't see what the issue is.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I’ll watch but mostly because I’m locked in. Snyder’s work doesn’t impress me, but I’d be happy if this time is different. I really liked the justice league comics back in the day. 
    rhcoop
  • It's not coming out till next year, so hopefully we aren't all still locked in by then. 
  • rhcoop said:

I'm excited to watch it because of all of the horrible personal things that happened to the director while it was being made.   

It's not hurting anyone, a lot of the footage is already there, I don't see what the issue is.  
    I have to take issue with "it's not hurting anyone", because it is objectively hurting people. There was a bunch of rampant harassment and toxicity coming out of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut crowd, directed towards anyone who disagreed with them. Actually releasing the cut teaches those people that these tactics work. Toxic groups in fandom will learn that if they whine and shout loud enough, they'll get what they want, so they'll keep on doing it, every time they don't like something.

If it sounds like I'm being ridiculous, check out this brief Twitter thread from January about Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalkerhttps://twitter.com/broderick/status/1212766342664859650  This is the direction all large fandom discourse is headed in: baseless conspiracy theories, tribalism, and harassing stan armies mobilized against directors, writers, actors, producers, journalists, or whoever else they've decided is responsible for them not getting the exact film they wanted. Putting out the Snyder cut only adds fuel to the fire.
    rhcoopbizmarkiefaderDeeBenMurderbear

I have to take issue with "it's not hurting anyone", because it is objectively hurting people. There was a bunch of rampant harassment and toxicity coming out of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut crowd, directed towards anyone who disagreed with them. Actually releasing the cut teaches those people that these tactics work. Toxic groups in fandom will learn that if they whine and shout loud enough, they'll get what they want, so they'll keep on doing it, every time they don't like something.

If it sounds like I'm being ridiculous, check out this brief Twitter thread from January about Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalkerhttps://twitter.com/broderick/status/1212766342664859650  This is the direction all large fandom discourse is headed in: baseless conspiracy theories, tribalism, and harassing stan armies mobilized against directors, writers, actors, producers, journalists, or whoever else they've decided is responsible for them not getting the exact film they wanted. Putting out the Snyder cut only adds fuel to the fire.
    I think this movie is a very specific situation due to the way Synder had to exit the production.  His daughter passing away was the primary reason he left and was replaced.  There are rumors he was going to be fired, but all of that is just rumors.

It appears most of the actors are very supportive of this being released and are wanting to participate in getting it completed.   

I cannot follow you on your line of thought as I would argue that almost all of social media is toxic anyhow.  I don't see how this project actually happening is going to usher in a new apocalypse, but you are obviously welcome to your own opinion. 
  • edited May 21
    rhcoop said:

I think this movie is a very specific situation due to the way Synder had to exit the production.  His daughter passing away was the primary reason he left and was replaced.  There are rumors he was going to be fired, but all of that is just rumors.

It appears most of the actors are very supportive of this being released and are wanting to participate in getting it completed.   

I cannot follow you on your line of thought as I would argue that almost all of social media is toxic anyhow.  I don't see how this project actually happening is going to usher in a new apocalypse, but you are obviously welcome to your own opinion. 
    I don't believe that this specifically will result in "a new apocalypse" - it will just make an already bad situation worse. We will see more #ReleaseTheXCut movements in the future, and they will be emboldened by the fact that this one was successful. I don't really care about Snyder's work, so I don't have anything against him, and it's nice for him personally that he's getting to finish his cut considering what he went through. I just don't think it's worth teaching the next group of assholes that if they complain loud enough, they'll get the "real" version of their movie.
    rhcoop said:

Toxic groups in fandoms aren't whining and shouting to get what they want, they're whining and shouting because they're toxic. There's really not a whole lot anyone can do about them without radical changes to how social media works.

The Snyder Cut isn't getting released to appease the toxic fans. There are a ton of passionate fans that want to see the Snyder Cut who aren't happy about how he was screwed over by the studio. Snyder has always wanted to release his version of the movie and so have a lot of the actors. If you think giving a whole bunch of nice people what they want is outweighed by the fear of looking like they're trying to appease the toxic part of the community, they really need to just cancel everything because toxics are everywhere and they're gonna toxic.
    rhcoop
  • Hunkulese said:
    Toxic groups in fandoms aren't whining and shouting to get what they want, they're whining and shouting because they're toxic. There's really not a whole lot anyone can do about them without radical changes to how social media works.

See, I just can't see eye to eye with this at all. I feel like I'm saying "this will make things worse", and you're both saying "well, things are already bad, so it doesn't matter". Sure, toxic groups will be toxic no matter what. But they're worse when they have a shared objective to organize around, and even worse than that if they think they have a real shot at succeeding. That's what I'm trying to get at here.
    Dee
  • rhcoop said:

Because these dipshits have spent the last 3 years of their lives screaching on the internet and flooding every comment section, Twitter thread, and articles about future DC movies and harassing every actor involved with them with their dumbass hashtags like #NeverBattinson and #BoycottTheBatman and #BoycottBirdsOfPrey and I’m disgusted that these people get to experience a thing that they want.
    DeeBenrhcoopMurderbear
    edited May 21
    Hunkulese said:

See, I just can't see eye to eye with this at all. I feel like I'm saying "this will make things worse", and you're both saying "well, things are already bad, so it doesn't matter". Sure, toxic groups will be toxic no matter what. But they're worse when they have a shared objective to organize around, and even worse than that if they think they have a real shot at succeeding. That's what I'm trying to get at here.
    The toxic people are just the loudest. What about all the non-toxic people? There are far, far more of them. Should all decisions only consider the toxic parts of communities?

The best way to deal with toxic people is to ignore them. They shouldn't factor into decision making at all. Most of them are just looking for a negative response anyway. Something positive happening like the Snyder Cut actually coming out isn't actually their goal. They're still going to be toxic everywhere else.

The Snyder Cut coming out has no effect on anything one way or the other.
    JaimieTrhcoop
  • Hunkulese said:
    The toxic people are just the loudest. What about all the non-toxic people? There are far, far more of them. Should all decisions only consider the toxic parts of communities?

The best way to deal with toxic people is to ignore them. They shouldn't factor into decision making at all. Most of them are just looking for a negative response anyway. Something positive happening like the Snyder Cut actually coming out isn't actually their goal. They're still going to be toxic everywhere else.
    I'm a little confused by "they're just looking for a negative response". Sure, there are a few who are just there to sow chaos for the sake of it, but at the end of the day toxic people are people - they have wants and interests just like you and I. I think quite a lot of them wanted the Snyder cut to come out, and they just picked the worst way to go about it.

Except the real problem is that what they're doing isn't the worst way to go about it, if you don't account for morality at all. In fact, it's the most effective way to go about it. The toxic groups, even if they're an extreme minority, play far more of a role than you'd think in bringing movements like these to prominence. Social media itself is set up in such a way as to push the toxic voices to the front. They are what websites will report on when talking about the movement, which will result in an inevitable backlash, and then a backlash to the backlash, and so on, bringing more and more notoriety and attention to the original movement.

(The worst part of this cycle? There no good way to break it, since suggesting the alternative - where we "just ignore them", and no one writes articles or Tweets or whatever calling these people out - is more or less telling the targets of their harassment that they should just shut up and take it. As you yourself have said, there's no permanent fix for this problem without completely restructuring the way social media works.)

So in terms of movements like this actually succeeding, you can't write off toxic groups as an insignificant minority. They play an important role, maybe the most important role. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you wanted the Snyder cut and are happy you're getting it, you are actively benefiting from the work those people did, whether you like it or not.
    JaimieTbizmarkiefader
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 21
    I wonder how much this "toxic culture" is a side effect of the remake culture. I think remakes and sequels certainly exasperate it; people are much more likely to go into a remake or sequel with expectations. Hollywood might just be bringing this on itself. I don't exactly pity them. You write fan fiction, some people don't like your fan fiction.
    JaimieT said:
    I wonder how much this "toxic culture" is a side effect of the remake culture. I think remakes and sequels certainly exasperate it; people are much more likely to go into a remake or sequel with expectations. Hollywood might just be bringing this on itself. I don't exactly pity them. You write fan fiction, some people don't like your fan fiction.
    If you're interested, there's a pretty good book that looks at the mutually parasitic relationship between trolls and mainstream culture.

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/why-we-cant-have-nice-things

It's also on JSTOR if you have access.
    JaimieTDee
    Also wanted to add this since everyone only wants to focus on the negative aspects of fandom.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie-snyder-cut-money-raised/
    rhcoop
  • DeeDee Adelaide

Social media itself is set up in such a way as to push the toxic voices to the front.
    That, mate, is a gold nugget of a statement. 
    Ben
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    The worst of this will be if the vaunted Snyder Cut is objectively bad, because the trolls on the front lines of the toxic part of the movement will defend it to the death anyway because they can’t accept an “L” here after getting what they demanded. What are the odds there really is a great movie buried in Justice League mess that was just lost in misguided editing?

I’m a big fan of Stephen King’s The Stand and back in the early 90s when the Unedited Author’s Cut came out I read it and my conclusion was that the editors did a damn fine job. Still love the book, but would not recommend the unedited version over the original.
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    The thread title is hilarious. 
    edited May 23
    LordBy said:
    The worst of this will be if the vaunted Snyder Cut is objectively bad, because the trolls on the front lines of the toxic part of the movement will defend it to the death anyway because they can’t accept an “L” here after getting what they demanded. What are the odds there really is a great movie buried in Justice League mess that was just lost in misguided editing?

I’m a big fan of Stephen King’s The Stand and back in the early 90s when the Unedited Author’s Cut came out I read it and my conclusion was that the editors did a damn fine job. Still love the book, but would not recommend the unedited version over the original.
    There's way more to the story than just misguided editing. Joss Whedon made major changes to most aspects of the movie.

I don't blame Whedon at all and I'm not really a Snyder fan either. I just think the vision he had for the DCU was interesting even if he always failed transferring his vision to the screen.

Also, even the Snyder fans know there's a 90% chance the Snyder Cut will be objectively bad, but there's almost no chance that it'll be worse than the soulless abomination of a movie that they put in theatres.

The actual worst case scenario is if it's actually good.
    I called this, but I enjoy Caville as Superman so I'm excited.

I figured they would be foolish to not do this as popular as he is now after the Witcher.

I'm beginning to think there must be a higher up at AT&T that actually likes comic books seeing this and the proposed 5G storyline in the comics get shuttered before it got started. 

https://www.newsarama.com/50352-henry-cavill-superman-returns.html
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Caville is a great Superman. He was just never given the material to show the charm or personality that Christopher Reeve was so openly able to. 
    rhcoop
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Give in to fan demands, what could go wrong?