Room 237 and Kubrick in General

Pretty sure we have a decent Kubrick fan base here. What are people's thoughts on Room 237? Just watched it for the first time. The first 30 minutes I was like please! this is just a coincidence or people just overthinking and over-analyzing scenes. I actually wanted to turn it off but I powered through. Really interesting stuff. Lots of crazy analysis. 

One thing I noticed that I did not hear them talk about or other internet articles was the maze shot. Definitely think there is some importance to it. We clearly see 2 crosses leading to the middle. 1 upside down and 1 right side up. Given Kubrick is very careful in how he places his shot this has to have importance right? It also looks like the middle is built to somehow spell Hebrew. I am no expert in Hebrew but that certainly looks like it could be made into Hebrew. 

Anyways I just wanted to talk about the movie and Kubrick in general. Feel free to post whatever you want about Kubrick. Oh and by the way...
No Beer and No TV Make Homer Go.......Crazy?......Don't Mind if I Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AntManBee

Comments

• I did like Room 237, mostly because it got me to look at the film in some completely different ways from how I usually view it.

At this point, I don't know what to make of that maze shot. It's an interesting point though.

While I love all of his movies, my favorites are what I consider The Big Three: Dr. Strangelove, 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.
    Bountlyn
  • I enjoyed 2001. I was a bit young to really appreciate Kubricks work though. I need to watch and re watch his works now.
  • I'm a big fan of Kubrick and actually just watched all of his films last year. Some I had seen multiple times and some I was watching for the first time. I also saw Room 237 and was mixed on it. I did find it entertaining, though, in parts. 

I, too, saw 2001 at too early an age and on a small screen on VHS. Really not the right format to see it. Watching it on Blu-ray was quite a revelation. Amazing film. All the stuff with HAL is fantastic. I still don't know what the final "means", but I'm ok with that. 

My favorite overall is probably Dr. Strangelove, followed by 2001, and then after that, I'm just not sure. Tough to choose. 

The biggest surprise for me in my re-watches, other than discovering just how great 2001 is, is that my appreciation for The Shining actually went down. Perhaps a big part of that is that I had also recently read The Shining. I used to think that surely Stephen King was making too big of a fuss when he basically disavowed Kubrick's version, but after reading the book and subsequently re-watching the film, I could really see where King was coming from. I found the book version of Jack Torrance far more interesting and complex than he is in the film. Though I also don't think Kubrick was interested in the same themes as King. In any case, I still enjoyed it, but more on a visceral level than a character level.
    HatorianAntManBeeBountlyn
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited June 2015
    Probably one my favorite horror films of all time. For me horror is all about atmosphere. It's what I love and what creeps me out the most (so the good ones nowadays and few and far between), and GOD DAMN could Kubrick bring the atmosphere! The shot where he comes upon two twins, I know it's been parodied to death, but that moment still makes my breath stop with how scary it is.

I think Room 237 is interesting, most of what people see is just that, what "they" see, but it was absolutely not intentional, and I think, not any more interesting even if it was. But I think that movie serves to show how not one of us will see the same movie, we all see and get something a little bit different from art. And I think the fact that art can transcend the artist or even it's goal is pretty incredible. 

Also, I watched this review about a week ago, and it's a good one for this thread.   http://blip.tv/renegadecut/rc-the-shining-7197896
    HatorianAntManBeeDaveyMac
  • DaveyMac said:

I, too, saw 2001 at too early an age and on a small screen on VHS. Really not the right format to see it. Watching it on Blu-ray was quite a revelation. Amazing film. All the stuff with HAL is fantastic. I still don't know what the final "means", but I'm ok with that. 

The book actually gives a literal explanation of what goes on at the end. It's also interesting to note that the original plan was for the mission to go to Saturn, not Jupiter. Kubrick and his special effects crew were unhappy with how their simulated version of Saturn and its rings were looking, so he switched to Jupiter. Arthur C. Clarke kept it as Saturn in the novel (The film script and novel were written simultaneously).
  • @AntManBee Thanks for the background here. I actually knew they were written simultaneously, but didn't know anything about the Jupiter/Saturn stuff. I'll have to give the book a read one of these days.
  • @DaveyMac Yeah, despite the Saturn thing and a few other minor differences, the book actually makes a great companion to the film. I highly recommend it.
    DaveyMac
  • I actually saw Room 237 right after Jodorovsky's Dune, just because I was in the mood for deep movie analysis :D
    And I can agree with you all, I mean it is really captivating, you easily sit through, although lot of the major theories feel forced. Especially the whole Moon Mission is a fraud thing, I do not buy that. The stakes were too high, if it was just a show the Soviets would have laughed their asses off hard.

AntManBee
  • Just finished listening to the Podcast on this in Bald Movies. I'm a huge King fan and have a couple of interesting notes that I think were incorrect in the analysis portion of the podcast. SK stayed at the Stanley hotel during it's final weekend in the late 70's with his wife Tabby when they lived in Boulder, CO. The Stanley hotel is in Estes Park and used to close for the winters (it's open year round now). He stayed in room 217 and says he had "experiences" there. That is why room 217 exists in the book. The owners of the real Stanley hotel asked them not to use 217 for the movie as they didn't want bad press. I've been to the Stanley, and there certainly IS a room 217 (unlike what A. Ron said in the podcast.) The external shots for the movie were of the Timberline Lodge in OR. Not sure if they have a room 217 or not. If you've been to the Stanley, you'd know why they didn't use external shots there -> it's on a hill in the middle of Estes Park, a medium sized CO city. Hard to argue for being isolated when you can walk to the gas station. As for why the hotel set was built - two reasons that I know of: 1. Kubrick lived in England and had a significant fear of flying -> so they built the set in England rather than filming on location. 2. It allowed Kubrick to build a hotel with impossible architecture (rooms with external windows where an external window could not be) to give the viewer a feeling of things being out of place. This is most obvious during the interview scene with Nicholson and the hotel manager. Just a few thoughts even though this thread is likely dead.