Protests Across the America

Comments

• adobo1148 said: 
    I posted this earlier thinking wow what a feel good story after the last 48 hours, but after these gestures, what next? Then it hit me how the desire for a “feel good” story doesn’t help, because nothing about what’s going on should feel good.  How do police EARN the trust of communities they serve? How does the culture of law enforcement fundamentally change where gestures like these are the norm? 
  • Why do I feel like this is going to be ‘bad bad’ and not just ‘bad’? Hopefully, If that’s the case, it’ll be bad bad then good?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Nows a good time to check eBay if you want to buy something on the cheap. 

Honestly though I do hope things change. I don’t necessarily agree with looting Nike or target stores to make a point. But I also agree kneeling didn’t work either. 

I haven’t lived in the US in 12 years so it’s hard for me to point fingers or say what should be done. But it seems like real change starts at local levels of government and police and slowly works it way up while we need unbiased national media and informed voters who go out and vote. And we need money out of politics. No more lobby’s. No more backdoors. I mean the president of the USA is making millions of dollars being the president of the USA! If that’s not ticked I don’t know what is. 

• Imagine if Watchmen were airing now instead of last year :-o
    FlukesCretanBullWalnut Frey
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    adobo1148 said:
    Trevor Noah on criticism of looting/rioting
    https://twitter.com/thedailyshow/status/1266523374207057922?s=21
    This came up on my Instagram feed last night and I almost didn’t watch it because 17 minutes is way beyond my usual attention span, but I’m really glad I did. I’m all for tearing down the system, but it’s hard for me to articulate why without sounding like a knob, and he explained it really well. 
    CretanBull
  • Hopefully this makes the guys reconsider the no politics rule on this forum. Politics and culture are inextricably intertwined. Technically this thread probably breaks that rule but they're leaving it up. 
    Deetom_gCretanBullMFG
  • asmallcat said:
    Hopefully this makes the guys reconsider the no politics rule on this forum. Politics and culture are inextricably intertwined. Technically this thread probably breaks that rule but they're leaving it up. 
    Gosh i it hadn’t occurred to me, Should I move the dialogue to Reddit?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It’s fine - mods are keeping an eye on it, and it’s the biggest news story in the world at the moment, even eclipsing Coronavirus, so it would be weird if no one was talking about it. 
    JimNoel
  • I live about 20 minutes north of Minneapolis and Saint Paul. Haven't gone out of my house since George Floyd was murdered except to drive up north to my cabin this past weekend. That really isn't out of the ordinary as I've been staying and working from home for quite a while with everything going on with COVID. I'm safe where I'm at as the riots and destruction haven't made it very far outside Minneapolis and Saint Paul but it's utter destruction downtown. We've had every curfews every night since Saturday and it's continuing for several more days. It's horrifying seeing the destruction that's happening but it's also heartwarming seeing all the people that have come together to help clean up and donation centers having to turn things away because they have no room because of how much has been donated. Everybody stay safe wherever you are. Love my Bald Move family
    adobo1148cdriveFreddyNoelDoubleA_Ron
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited June 1
    I don't know if anyone here is planning to go to a local protest or maybe lurkers here planning to protest, but please go to a hardware store and pick up some safety glasses before heading out.  My particular line of work, PPE (personal protective gear) like safety glasses is a regular everyday thing, but to others that might not have some....just go to a Home Depot or most welding & gas supply stores.  I'm seeing and hearing about way too many eye injuries out there from rubber bullets.  It's almost as if cops are aiming for head shots.  Could be that and could be that many cops just don't get enough weapons training to be accurate.  When those rubber bullets are getting sprayed through the air....ooof I just wince thinking about not having safety glasses.  

edit:  #Dadvice 
    NoelFlukesFreddyBenElisaTravis
  • Great advice CDrive. Do you happen to know what else might substitute for safety glasses? I bet a lot of places are close while others are sold out, so people may have to make do with what they have. 
  • Also, one of the scariest things about this is the blatant attacks on the press. I feel like we haven't seen that in protests before, but a decade of telling people that the media are their enemy and Trump ratcheting up that rallying cry in the last few years has made a lot of these cops believe it's true. Coupled with the fact that they know none of them will face any consequences, they are feeling free to do it. Reporters have been shot with rubber bullets, tear gas canisters, etc, arrested, and roughed up, all while the police are being filmed and aware that they are reporters. And they just don't care. 
    Elisa
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    It's hard as a neighbour and white male to know how much or what to say.

I know I'll never fully understand what it's like to be black in America, Canada, or anywhere else. I don't need to fully understand. I can listen and learn how to support without stealing the spotlight or abdicating my responsibility to the people around me.

I would normally say "stay safe" but I no longer think justice can be achieved without some personal risk. Instead I'll offer this: do the next right thing, then the next.
    vik83hElisa
  • cdrive said:
    I don't know if anyone here is planning to go to a local protest or maybe lurkers here planning to protest, but please go to a hardware store and pick up some safety glasses before heading out.  My particular line of work, PPE (personal protective gear) like safety glasses is a regular everyday thing, but to others that might not have some....just go to a Home Depot or most welding & gas supply stores.  I'm seeing and hearing about way too many eye injuries out there from rubber bullets.  It's almost as if cops are aiming for head shots.  Could be that and could be that many cops just don't get enough weapons training to be accurate.  When those rubber bullets are getting sprayed through the air....ooof I just wince thinking about not having safety glasses.  

This made me think of this I saw over the weekend:

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    nstinson said:
    cdrive said:

This made me think of this I saw over the weekend:

Shooting protesters in the eyes with rubber bullets is an infamous tactic that's been in the news recently, with some movements like Hong Kong, France, and Chile (where nearly 500 people have been shot in the eye) then using the eye as a symbol of their protest. It's an absolutely horrifying police/military tactic.

Safety glasses are a great recommendation, but I would recommend ballistic-rated glasses because regular safety glasses will not stop a rubber bullet, especially with Trump demanding more escalation. Everyone be careful but please do whatever you can to help. People are providing various lists of ways to help if you can't protest. Donating bail relief is just one way.

bizmarkiefaderMurderbearFlukescdrive
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Second night of protests. They now say you can't be downtown after 5 with a backpack, big purse, etc. I really don't want to get tagged up by riot police for trying to flee a riot with my go bag and work laptops. At any rate, here are a few pics from my windows:

NoelElisaCecily
  • Please stay safe wherever you are
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2
    Trevor Noah is a funny guy and a strong voice. But I’ll take my presidents(Obama) words over his here..Trevor Noah’s a bit out of his league. What he’s basically advocating is “well they broke their word so time to break ours” where our president is saying to never break and never let yourself fall to their level. Be better than them and be the change you want. 

“So let’s not excuse violence, or rationalize it, or participate in it. If we want our criminal justice system, and American society at large, to operate on a higher ethical code, then we have to model that code ourselves.“
    DoubleA_RonNoelJoshTheBlacktom_g
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    I have a question that I hope isn't too political, But what measures are in place to ensure a president leaves office if they lose? And are there any circumstances where a presidents tenure can be extended due to external factors?

Mods if this breaks any rules please feel free to delete 

I'm just watching on from Australia and hoping all you Americans are staying safe. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    asmallcat said:
    Great advice CDrive. Do you happen to know what else might substitute for safety glasses? I bet a lot of places are close while others are sold out, so people may have to make do with what they have. 
    I don’t know any MacGyver hacks but just I hope people think about their eyes with rubber bullets. A ski mask? Goggles? Motorcycle helmet?  Think about your eyes cause I hate seeing all these tragic cases of good people being maimed.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @Ben
    thing is we don’t know and many are worried about this. No one has ever tried this. But it would most likely end up in the Supreme Court which is stacked on his side.
    Ben
    2020 is just crazy enough to find out I guess. Its unbelievable watching from afar.  
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @Ben That doesn't even happen in countries where things are so corrupt that the elections are rigged. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    There's a riot going on on my facebook page between the small town, small minded white people I grew up with that I have nothing in common with except that we knew each other 30-40 years ago and my adult, more reasonable, worldly, liberal friends who have also joined forces with my minority childhood friends. 
    Hatoriancdrive
    @JaimieT I hope you're right about the USA, but it does happen in other countries regularly. See the whole of the middle east, China and Russia as a reference.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Ben said:
    @JaimieT I hope you're right about the USA, but it does happen in other countries regularly. See the whole of the middle east, China and Russia as a reference.

Yeah we're agreed! 
    Ben
  • We live in South Minneapolis, near where all this has been going down. I used to work in one of the stores that got looted. Our nearest post office is the one that got burned down. It's a crazy feeling. All the windows on our street got boarded up. I just watched a convoy of military vehicles and fire trucks driving to a call. 

If I didn't have a pregnant wife and small kid I'd probably be out there protesting too. People want change and truth is that non-violent protests one the years have had no effect. Let's hope that this time things will actually change.

Black people, people of color, and  minority groups need a fair shake in life. As someone who is half latino, I have an easier time blending in. But I've seen injustices happen to me and my friends over the course of my life, and it's time that changed. I hope something good will come out of this tragedy. 
    DeeBenMarciElisaawookieeDemic