Protests Across the America

Comments

• LordByLordBy Utah
    Hatorian said:
    LordBy said:
    Police are people and people aren’t perfect, and lots of people are upset about some terrible mistakes some police officers made.

I
    Chris rock made a good point I saw on Facebook. Some jobs just can’t have people making mistakes. Imagine if we allowed Pilots to get away with what we do with police..a pilot crashes into a mountain and American Airlines says “well, there’s always Some bad apples” people would lose it. 
    Not my view obviously, just trying to think of how to communicate this to a 4-year-old.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Freddy said:
    My friend's philosophy is to treat cops like bears. Be as still and quiet around them as possible, with the intent of getting away from them asap without drawing attention. It extends to not calling the cops unless there is no other option. "If you call the cops, your chance of getting murdered by a cop just went up."
    Don't forget to blow loud horns at them if they get too close.
    NoelFreddy
  • edited June 6
    Largest march Happening in DC today, stay strong, stay safe.
  • edited June 6

Guy is trolling the police
    MurderbearBencdrive
  • MrXMrX CO
    Sesame Street & CNN did town hall on racism, I plan on watching this with my 4 year old. Otherwise we have been talking about it this last week ... I really appreciate the discussion on here, it's really important as white people to not let this be a "out of sight, out of mind" thing for our children as they grow up ... Especially those of us who love in white-as-fuck areas.
    calebthrowerHatoriancdriveElisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Ok, if this crosses the no politics line feel free to delete. I promise not to call anyone a fascist. Anyway, I grew up in a very small town in Texas about an hour south of Houston. During slavery the area had the highest concentration of slaves in the nation. As a result I grew up in a very mixed (black and white) environment. The town ranged from middle class to dirt poor but no one looked down on people who lived in trailers as opposed to a house in the neighborhood. 

Now I have to admit, I was probably really naive growing up because in retrospect the town was very segregated. The whites lived in newer neighborhoods and the blacks lived in what we called "old town." It never struck me as odd but just the way it was. Long story short, I left that town at 18 without giving much thought to racism.

In the 30 years since and with the invention of FB I noticed a racist undertone in the things posted and said by people I grew up with that I hadn't noticed before. Then the tipping point was the rise of MAGA. All of a sudden, all pretense was discarded and people felt empowered to say the things I assume they only said in private. Since 2016, I've been in a constant debate/argument with these MAGA followers on FB. These are people I've known my entire life but haven't really known for 30 years now. So, that's a fight I've chosen to participate in and not disengage. I count it as a badge of honor whenever one of these MAGAts unfriends me on FB because I've offended their fragile sensitivities with my criticisms of Trump. 

The the George Floyd murder happened and everything exploded. These people are spending so much effort to defend their "All Lives Matter" crap, which everyone knows means "White Lives Matter More." It has become extremely contentious to the point of two guys on my page that I haven't seen since high school graduation and who have known each other forever, internet shouting at each other and threatening to go to each other's houses for a physical confrontation. 

Now, I know a lot of people would say to end communication with these people but I don't because I think it's important for everyone to see them out themselves and the views they harbor. I'm not sure what I'm asking for here but any opinions or advice would be appreciated. 

BTW on a sad note, my best friend of 40+ years and I stopped talking politics and agreed to disagree back in 2016 because he is a big Fox News Trump supporter and I'm very opposed to this administration. Since the Covid outbreak and my increased criticism of Trump he has stopped speaking to me all together. 

GiovanniBenMarcibizmarkiefaderElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited June 7
    @fidoz I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this is a good book.

If you want something less formal than a book, check out "street epistemology" videos on YouTube for examples.

(Edit: here's a link to a playlist. The subject matter is usually, but not always, about religion, but you can use the same techniques in a political disagreement.)

It doesn't solve the problem of having friends who strongly disagree with you, but it provides a method to navigate it.

And as far as changing people's minds, I think it does a 10,000% better job towards that than just giving people facts. 
    fidozFlukes
  • edited June 8
    Minneapolis City council to begin process of disbanding Minneapolis PD

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/george-floyd-protests-sunday/index.html
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:

How does this work? The city won’t have a PD? Or they’ll fire everyone and rehire a new police force?
  • gguenot said:
    adobo1148 said:

How does this work? The city won’t have a PD? Or they’ll fire everyone and rehire a new police force?
    For sure this is a process that takes place over a year, maybe 2. 
    gguenot
  • gguenot said:
    adobo1148 said:

It looks (on very limited info) like it's basically you have a SWAT team and detectives for like murder, drug traffiicking, armed standoffs, etc, but when you call 911 they'll ask if you the person is armed and dangerous or not, and if not you get more of a community outreach/public service type intervention than an armed police intervention, and those people will be trained in de-escalation, etc. It seems like basically getting to one of the main issues with US police - that they always have a firearm and other weapons. The default should be not carrying a gun at all times. 
    Elisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    protests apparently got rather intense yesterday at SCSU. then this scary sadness happens several miles from my house. i've never heard so many sirens in my life. like 40+ cars, SWAT, and 3 choppers circling the area for hours.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    The difference is that the pilots also go down with the plane. When the police make a hash of something, they rarely suffer.  

Hatorian said:
    LordBy said:
    Police are people and people aren’t perfect, and lots of people are upset about some terrible mistakes some police officers made.

I
    Chris rock made a good point I saw on Facebook. Some jobs just can’t have people making mistakes. Imagine if we allowed Pilots to get away with what we do with police..a pilot crashes into a mountain and American Airlines says “well, there’s always Some bad apples” people would lose it. 

• edited June 8

i realize this is preaching to the choir, but powerful nonetheless.
    HatorianMurderbearUnderwoodFlukes
  • asmallcat said:
    gguenot said:
    adobo1148 said:

It looks (on very limited info) like it's basically you have a SWAT team and detectives for like murder, drug traffiicking, armed standoffs, etc, but when you call 911 they'll ask if you the person is armed and dangerous or not, and if not you get more of a community outreach/public service type intervention than an armed police intervention, and those people will be trained in de-escalation, etc. It seems like basically getting to one of the main issues with US police - that they always have a firearm and other weapons. The default should be not carrying a gun at all times. 
    I think it'll be interesting to see what ends up happening. There's a lot of talks of either disbanding or defunding the Minneapolis Police Department which means 2 vastly different things. Here's an article I found just by googling Minneapolis Police Department that seems to explain it. I think I lean more towards defunding versus disbanding. Minneapolis is no where near the crime levels of some other cities in the U.S. but it's far from what I would consider is a safe neighborhood. I'm only 20 minutes north of downtown Minneapolis/ St. Paul but really I don't get down there often unless I'm meeting up with friends at a place to eat or an attraction happening downtown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/08/us/what-does-defund-police-mean.html
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    The tail end of this is featured in the Last Week Tonight episode on police but the entire thing is well worth a watch. Powerful. Righteous fury and anger. https://youtu.be/sb9_qGOa9Go
    Marci
  • "they are lucky what black people are looking for is equality and not revenge." Damn son. That's the good shit. 
    MurderbearUnderwoodMarciElisa
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    imageimage
  • Boy these last few weeks have really proven that cops either have no concept of PR in an era when everyone has cameras or they really don't care (hint - they don't care). 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I don't know where the source pic for this meme comes from, but I love it.

Image may contain one or more people people sitting and hat text that says IT HAD TO BE SAID
    HatorianNoelDeeadobo1148Flukes
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Just an interesting thing I've noticed in online communities. I know that @jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard are pushing politics to swizzbold but nearly all the other message boards I'm on and all the ringer facebook groups have put out statements to the effect of this moment is too big and too important and have done away with their ban on politics.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    edited June 17
    fidoz said:
    Just an interesting thing I've noticed in online communities. I know that @jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard are pushing politics to swizzbold but nearly all the other message boards I'm on and all the ringer facebook groups have put out statements to the effect of this moment is too big and too important and have done away with their ban on politics.
    I have a question.  If the guys have literally set up an entire forum for this type of discussion why are some of us so perplexed why it doesn't appear here? 
    JaimieT
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Who's perplexed? I know exactly why it's not here. I even stated in my post why it's not here. I absolutely hate reddit. I loved the politics threads over here and checked them several times a day even if I wasn't participating. I thought it was a mistake when they pushed politics off the forum mostly because it was one of if not the busiest thread. The forum overall seems to have slowed down since that decision was made. Then again maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the swizzbold reddit is bustling with content and discussion. I honestly don't know. The few times I've gone over there I didn't stick around b/c of the redditness. Anyway, I was simply pointing out the contrast in philosophies and the changing landscape of pop culture communities. 
    Dee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Several of us are discussing the political landscape, literally as I type this, on the Discord... (in the #spirituality channel of all places.)  
    rhcoop
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited June 17
    I believe A.Ron addressed this a couple weeks ago on a Lunch saying (and please fellow mods or Jim and A.Ron correct me if I am wrong at all about this) that yes, this transcends normal politics. I don't think they are ready to fully embrace politics here again (still taking about that too) but talk about these protests and what is going on there is allowed here. I feel very good about the community here and I don't think there would be anyone spouting off some nonsense that only holds us back.
    rhcoopDee
  • Both here in this thread, and in the Covid-19 thread.
    Murderbear