Protests Across the America

Comments

• A little catharsis, you're welcome.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This guy has been keeping a running thread on misconduct during the police riots throughout the protests, this one is 528 and I think he's on 537 now. What possible justification could they have for shooting into the window of someone filming them? They couldn't even pass it off as if they were shooting at someone else, that window is high up.

Cecily
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 18
    The stupidity of these guys....of course more policemen die than kill people. If they killed more people than died they wouldn’t be police. They would be SS death squads. I don’t know how you can use this as some fact that makes cops killing black people any less worse...

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bc2310f7-97b6-310d-aace-7aa05cabd9aa/more-police-officers-are.html?bcmt=1
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited June 18
    According to that article, there were 1,002 deaths caused by police and 48 police deaths.
    loum
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 18
    On a lighter note, a group of concerned citizens in Denton have decided to protest the local Confederate statue in their own way:

cdriveElisaNoelloum
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited June 18
    I wanted to comment on statues coming down and Juneteenth tomorrow. I put a political meme behind a spoiler because I know we're kinda doing a delicate dance on a cliff's edge with regards to BM & Swizzbold, but this meme is something I posted on Facebook recently....a place I hardly ever post political stuff anymore.  But a lot of my pals loved it and the family & hidden friends who have reared their ugly heads in the past when I have posted political stuff stayed quiet cause honestly what are they going to say?

[Basic theme to the meme behind the spoiler:  Why is it those who claim Honest Abe and say the other side was for slavery and created the KKK, why are these the same people who are upset about these statues coming down?]

It's the same crowd who hoists up Candace Owens, who says the big political party switch is a lie and to ignore your history books.  That the Southern Strategy didn't exist to support her made up Blexit bullshit.  

Here in Houston we have 2 statues coming down right before Juneteenth, a holiday that many nationally might not know has ties to the Houston-Galveston-Port Arthur region of Texas. 

1st Statue:  Richard William "Dick" Dowling in Hermann Park.  Now, Houston has made progress renaming many high schools and building names over the past few years but wow a Dick Dowling statue still in our city's flagship park...the most diverse city in the US with a statue like that in a park where everyone brings their family.  It's right by the zoo and the museums, and family atmosphere.  What it must be like to have a family picnic with that guy towering over you.  The mayor was going to give it to Port Arthur, which was weird, but Port Arthur's mayor was like "Hard Pass" because he's mad he still can't get the Dick statue they already have there taken down.  Why would he want two?

Now might be a good time to look up Dick Dowling and the Battle of Sabine Pass in Port Arthur.  Port Arthur, hometown of Pimp C, Bun B, and Stephen Jackson (George Floyd's "twin").  There is already a statue of Dick there and it's ridiculous.  Looking like barrel-chested butthead.  They made him look like Gaston for fucks sake. (Noooooooo onnnnnne TREASONS like Gaston no one TRAITORS like Gaston!)  But Dowling was a major reason the Union was kept out of Texas and why it took one June 19th 2 years after the Emancipation for it finally to be read in Galveston "Oh hey, y'all have actually been free for the last 2 years."

2nd Statue:  "Spirit of the Confederacy" statue coming down in Sam Houston park.  This is a prime example of how these statues were meant to intimidate, put up at a time Houston was a re-segregated city and enacting new segregation laws.  It was put up on Robert E. Lee's birthday in 1908 to celebrate him and "all the heroes of the South who fought for States Rights".  It was put up by the Robert E. Lee chapter #186 of the Daughters of Confederacy, who did a lot to try to re-write history with all that "states rights" narrative bullshit. So when I was 16 my grandmother wanted me to be involved with the Daughters of Confederacy as one of the male counterparts in all their ballroom galas & crap.  All I knew is it involved cummerbunds and racism, so no thanks.  This statue is stupid too.  A Valkyrie angel trying to look all Billy Badass with his arms crossed, but instead looking constipated. Man, racists really do love their Aryan Nordic symbolism.  

So, to hell with these statues. I'm glad there is so much momentum now that people who used to talk a lot of shit over the past 5+ years don't feel as emboldened this go round.  Black Lives Matter. Sorry for my wall of text.

Alkaid13MurderbearbizmarkiefaderMarcicalebthrowerfidoztom_gNoelJSDCADeeand 3 others.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    As the Insane Clown Posse so eloquently put it way back in 1992: Fuck Your Rebel Flag
    MarcicdriveElisa
  • A local city council, not my town, voted not to remove a Stonewall Jackson statue yesterday.  These guys must be hoping for bigger and better roles in statewide GOP politics.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I have been in a flame war on facebook for literally 8 hours now over removing confederate statues. This is exhausting. I'm not sure if this was a threat but at one point someone told me I needed to get a gun and something about putting bumper stickers on my car.
    FreddycdriveElisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Ken Burns on monuments vs. history with a little help from the great James Baldwin. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/23/ken-burns-our-monuments-are-representations-myth-not-fact/?arc404=true
    MurderbearElisa
  • Bill Simmons getting some heat for the culture at The Ringer. I listened to the episode with Ryen Russillo that is discussed, and yes, it's pretty pretty bad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/business/media/bill-simmons-the-ringer-black-employees.html
    MurderbearNoel
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 23
    MrX said:
    Bill Simmons getting some heat for the culture at The Ringer. I listened to the episode with Ryen Russillo that is discussed, and yes, it's pretty pretty bad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/business/media/bill-simmons-the-ringer-black-employees.html
    Ouch. I listened to that podcast. Wtf was Ryan thinking if it wasn’t true? And why didn’t Bill step in and say something like “honestly I can do more” bill must have loved hearing it and just didn’t process it. I only listen to his show and the rewatchables. Non of the others so I didn’t know it wasn’t true when I heard it. To me that sounded true and sounded like a Bill Simmons move. But looking back I’m like I’ve listened to 100 BS pods and Shea is the the only person I can think of outside of a guest that has Color. And he might even be half white. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Considering he's fully dressed with his shirt tucked in, no shoes feels like a choice
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 29
    Considering he's fully dressed with his shirt tucked in, no shoes feels like a choice
    I feel like it's the most confusing part of the photo no matter how much or how little you know about modern suburban American aesthetics.

Also, I'm pretty sure the lady Karen took gun lessons from Jonah Hill.

Elisagguenot
  • "We have come Here to Chew Bubble Gum and wear shoes. And we're all out of shoes."
    "Quick, somebody throw them some bubblegum."

DoubleA_Ron
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    My hand sanitizer got another "I voted" sticker today.  Let's be the change.  Please make voting a plan. Vote early.  Especially in states like mine with very active voter suppression efforts.

Also look at my cute little Covid Condom they gave me for my finger.  (Please no judgement on my cuticles)

MarciFlukesDeeBentom_gElisaNoelGiovanniMurderbear
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited July 5
    A random thought I had... about which I’d like to hear other thoughts...

How you feel about America is (at least in part) based on 1 of 2 assumptions.

Do you judge America against the hypothetical nation which carries out the ideals of America perfectly...

or

Do you judge America by the fact that it has the ideals of America which (against the tide of history) has strived for and made significant progress to live up to?

Which assumption is more reasonable? Which assumption is more helpful?
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited July 6
    The younger me - more option A.  The older me - more option B, but, I think about America as having struggled to live up to the ideas especially when measured against time.

I can only hope the older me approach is more reasonable / helpful.

@JoshuaHeter - great discussion starter.
    JSDCAJoshuaHeterMurderbear
  • @JoshuaHeter I'm assuming these two options are focusing in on those who would engage the topic in good faith, because there are sadly plenty of people who don't think America has failed to live up to any of its ideals, or that any failures the country has experienced are behind it.

I would put myself in a spot similar to tom_g, moving from the first towards the second of your propositions the older I've gotten. I tend to be drawn to the idea of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, wanting to acknowledge progress made and use that as a guide for further improvement. Where I struggle is the times that it feels like that view is used as an excuse or delaying action. There's still a bit of the idealist in me that doesn't want to accept what can seem like half measures.
    JSDCAadobo1148Elisa
  • Hello, first poster here. I have had a very good experiences with the protests I have taken part of and find it wonderful that young folks (I’ll be 60 next month) are being active in these marches.
    Here are some of my photos from the Desmond Franklin March in Cleveland https://pbase.com/tremont/060620 
    Desmond was a 23 year old neighbor that got shot and killed by an off duty cop named Jose Garcia, whom shot Desmond through two car windows while driving down West 25th street. Desmond was unarmed.
    bizmarkiefaderNoelCretanBullBenMurderbearJSDCAElisaGiovanniMarci
  • Young black man walks AWAY from police to his car no signs that he is armed, may have had a knife in the car - shot 7 times.

Young white man kills two people, walks TOWARD the police with assault rifle slung around his neck, sent home across state lines after checking his ID.

Something not quite right there?
    GiovanniDeeMarci
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    There is very likely a storm coming, and we are not ready for it.  Our leadership seems wholly incapable of deescalation.  The pot is at a low simmer and heading straight for a full on rolling boil.  If this pot is allowed to boil over, it will be infinitely worse than the shutdowns and toilet paper shortages of April/May.  

I urge all of my fellow BM family, especially in major cities, to have a plan in place.  Pack a "go" bag.  Food/water, first aid, clothes, flashlights, batteries, etc.  Store up plenty of water.  Maybe reconsider your stance on gun ownership.  (If you do, learn how to use it safely!  Go to a range and put a few hundred rounds through it once or twice a month.  Know how to treat it, use it, and clean it.)  Find some friends/family that live in a more rural area that would be willing to let you hunker down if it comes to it.  

Maybe this whole thing can turn around and not pop off, but it's looking less and less likely.  If it does, there will be people trying to help, and people trying to take advantage of the chaos.  Remember, luck favors the prepared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEwnKqSZuYI
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @JoshTheBlack

Two separate families in my extended family are starting homestead farms this year, in Georgia, and I'm an atheist but I'm like, "God bless and keep you." And they will now be my favorite people. 
    JoshTheBlack
  • edited August 27
    There is very likely a storm coming, and we are not ready for it.  Our leadership seems wholly incapable of deescalation.  The pot is at a low simmer and heading straight for a full on rolling boil.  If this pot is allowed to boil over, it will be infinitely worse than the shutdowns and toilet paper shortages of April/May.  

I urge all of my fellow BM family, especially in major cities, to have a plan in place.  Pack a "go" bag.  Food/water, first aid, clothes, flashlights, batteries, etc.  Store up plenty of water.  Maybe reconsider your stance on gun ownership.  (If you do, learn how to use it safely!  Go to a range and put a few hundred rounds through it once or twice a month.  Know how to treat it, use it, and clean it.)  Find some friends/family that live in a more rural area that would be willing to let you hunker down if it comes to it.  

Maybe this whole thing can turn around and not pop off, but it's looking less and less likely.  If it does, there will be people trying to help, and people trying to take advantage of the chaos.  Remember, luck favors the prepared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEwnKqSZuYI
    You make some good points, but I hate to say it I think you're overreacting. The last thing we need is for more people to go out and buy guns. Yes, it's important to be able to defend yourself if necessary, but if anything we should be pushing for better gun control. As someone who lives in an urban area very close to where protests and looting have taken place, at no point have I felt it necessary to have a gun on me or in my home. 

I agree with you about being prepared, but don't think everyone needs to arm themselves. More people die from suicide by gun or gun accidents then do from crime. 

For more reference see: https://lawcenter.giffords.org/facts/gun-violence-statistics/ 
    Or https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/home-and-community/safety-topics/guns/
    cdriveasmallcatDeeBen
    Giovanni said:
    You make some good points, but I hate to say it I think you're overreacting. The last thing we need is for more people to go out and buy guns. Yes, it's important to be able to defend yourself if necessary, but if anything we should be pushing for better gun control. As someone who lives in an urban area very close to where protests and looting have taken place, at no point have I felt it necessary to have a gun on me or in my home. 

I agree with you about being prepared, but don't think everyone needs to arm themselves. More people die from suicide by gun or gun accidents then do from crime. 

For more reference see: https://lawcenter.giffords.org/facts/gun-violence-statistics/ 
    Or https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/home-and-community/safety-topics/guns/
    I hope that I am overreacting.  I truly do.  I don't think I am.  We have seen escalation after escalation after escalation.  We literally had dozens of vigilantes in the streets with assault weapons "protecting" Kenosha this week.  One of them shot and killed 2 people, and injured another.  So far, armed counter-protesters have been side-eyed but not caused any loss of life.  That has changed now.  The protesters are less likely to tolerate them.  We're likely only one or two more incidents like this away from full blown insurgency.  In a full blown insurgency, everything you know about how life works in your city goes out the window.  It could start quickly, but it will take years to end.  

What do you think insurgency looks like when a large percentage of the sympathizers don't believe in gun rights while nearly ALL of the detractors not only believe, but most likely own an average of 8 guns?  Gun control laws won't do a single thing in a full blown insurgency.  

The statistic about suicides by gun are really irrelevant.  They are suicides.  If they didn't have guns, they likely would still be suicides.  The statistics about gun accidents are important, hence why I urged anyone considering gun ownership to learn how to properly care for and use it.  

Furthermore, the Biden campaign making an assault weapons ban part of their platform IS WHY THEY ARE SLIPPING IN SWING STATES!  Now is not the time to tackle that issue.  If we make it past January peacefully and have a change of leadership, it still shouldn't be the focus for quite a while.  There are a lot of things to clean up and fix before an assault weapons ban becomes viable.

• Arizona: Biden 49%, Trump 47%
    • Florida: Biden 49%, Trump 46%
    • Michigan: Biden 50%, Trump 44%
    • North Carolina: Biden 48%, Trump 47%
    • Pennsylvania: Biden 49%, Trump 46%
    • Wisconsin: Biden 49%, Trump 44%
    Source:  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/26/coronavirus-concerns-fall-and-trump-approval-rises-in-2020-swing-states.html
  • edited August 27
    If you dig deeper into that poll, the headline's a bit alarmist. 

https://changeresearch.com/post/states-of-play-battleground-wave-12/ 

Biden slipped 3 points in FL and 1 point in PA, but gained 1 point in AZ, 1 point in MI, 2 points in NC (he was down 1 point to Trump 2 weeks ago) and 1 point in WI. All this poll really says is that the polling is mostly flat. Which makes sense as there are WAY less undecided people this year, which was what won Trump the election in 2016 (last minute deciders went to Trump). 

Also, if you look at 538's data (remember they gave Trump the greatest % chance to win of all the major respected outlets in 2016), they give Biden a bigger lead in all these states

AZ +3.7
    FL +5.1
    MI +7.6
    NC +1.4 (and if Biden wins NC it will be a landslide)
    PA +5.3
    WI +5.3

None of this to say it's in the bag or don't worry about it, but that poll seems to skew in favor of Trump. Additionally, I think this election, more than any other, is going to be about turnout rather than preference. Everyone has essentially decided who they are voting for. 

Edit - Also, Dems are essentially tied to gun control at this point, and anyone whose mind would be changed by a proposed assault weapons ban (which are essentially useless because "assault weapon" doesn't have a real meaning, if you want to ban "assault weapons" you need to ban all weapons with a barrel over a certain length that are semi-automatic, but that's a discussion for a different time) was likely already going to support Trump anyway. The only viable dem candidate that could reasonably say they were right of the party on gun control was Sanders, and Biden pushed for and wrote assault weapon bans, so claiming he's not for them now would just be seen as waffling. 

Also gun control is a enthusiasm issue for both sides with the rise of school shootings in the US, so I'm not sure it's actually a bad strategy to emphasize it for Biden. It may increase turnout among the true gun nuts, but also could increase turnout among those who feel very strongly that we need better gun control. There was a poll in 2019 that found 70% approval for an assault weapons ban. 
    You and I have made up our minds about who we're voting for, sure.  Everyone?  Absolutely not.  Anyway I think I took this too close to politics and this thread is supposed to be about protests.  

If you are out protesting, be prepared to make yourself scarce if it turns violent.
  • You and I have made up our minds about who we're voting for, sure.  Everyone?  Absolutely not.  Anyway I think I took this too close to politics and this thread is supposed to be about protests.  

If you are out protesting, be prepared to make yourself scarce if it turns violent.
    Essentially all polling shows that there are substantially less undecided voters this year by several percentage points, and 2016 had the biggest 3rd party vote share since the 90's.

In any event, we can disagree about gun control, gun ownership,  and political strategy, and the likelihood of serious societal collapses, but can 100% agree that if you're going to protest, have medical supplies with you, know how you can get out of any problem areas and get back home, and stay away from anyone you don't know who's visibly armed, police, protesters, or counter-protesters and that there's nothing wrong with having some supplies stocked up in case shit goes bad. Hell, protests or insurgency aside, look at what's happening on the Gulf Coast right now. I bet a LOT of people there wish they'd had a non-perishable food and bottled water to take with them while they evaced. 

Giovanni