Da 5 Bloods

amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
This dropped on Netflix today and I had been looking forward to it for ages. Anybody else planning on watching?

It's a WILD RIDE, messy in all the classic Spike Lee joint ways but a true epic. The way Marvin Gaye's music is used in this is incredible.

Comments

• I'll be watching this weekend.
    amyja89
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Watching now.
    amyja89
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Shiiiittttttt...Definitely watching this weekend
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I've always liked Delroy Lindo. Glad to see he's still got it.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    amyja89 said:
    This dropped on Netflix today and I had been looking forward to it for ages. Anybody else planning on watching?

It's a WILD RIDE, messy in all the classic Spike Lee joint ways but a true epic. The way Marvin Gaye's music is used in this is incredible.
    I feel like I watched a different movie from most of the reviews I'm seeing on letterbxd. Messy, yes. Lindo, Majors and Peters are all great to incredible. Marvin Gaye, wonderfully deployed, overarching message, shoots straight and true.  However, it also looks terrible, it looks like a tv movie. The timeline is confusing and in some cases just wrong. Maybe this was done on purpose but the special effects were cheesy horror level. 

I think the conclusion i'm coming to is that my brain just couldn't reconcile the aesthetics with the message. 

One more thing. SPOILER

The way that David just happened upon the gold made me groan out loud. 

• Watched it last night and that it was pretty good. I'd probably rate it a 6/10. I generally love Spike Lee movies, but this one I thought was just alright. I didn't have the same issues as fidoz did, but I'm unable to articulate why it was just okay. There was some things I liked, like using the older actors even in the flashbacks, and the pieces of history that were included. Some of the acting was great.