Should I buy a gaming pc?

edited June 26 in Gaming

I’m currently a console player but I’m considering buying a gaming pc, I dream about having a sick set up and using mouse and keyboard instead of controller I think would be really fun and a new challenge.

Are there any more pros I should know about when you have a nice gaming pc/set up? Also are there any cons?

Comments

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Some pros: You would have access to a near-infinite amount of games.  Depending on specs, you could also have a PC capable of making games or digital art/music if any of that interests you.

Some cons: It's somewhat to a lot more complex and expensive, and unlike a console, PCs aren't guaranteed to play all PC games for a certain number of years.  There no guarantee a particular PC game will run or run well on your PC's hardware.  It may be unpleasant psychologically to have spent a good amount of money on a PC and see newer, faster parts coming out all the time.

It looks like there's ways to drive some console games with a keyboard and mouse.  Maybe check out some YT videos on gaming that way and see if it would meet your need.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Depending on your layout of the house. A gaming PC can be put in a room and have an actual TV used instead of a monitor so you don’t sacrafice size. But if you can’t you gotta think of all the extras you need to get which can get expensive as well. New monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. You’re not gonna want to buy cheap keyboards or mouses.  Since you will it use for a ton of games. Your main premiere games will have controller support but a lot of the “indie” games will not. As well as games that have a million buttons. This may hurt the pocket but buy the most expensive video card if you want to guarantee longevity. Also when looking at buying a gaming computer make sure it is “idiot proof”. Meaning it is easy to open and anyone can take out and replace parts. Make sure it’s not made in such a way that you have to pay someone to help you take it apart to change things. Also think about things like fans for cooling, memory and CPU. I would make sure all these things are top notch. 

Your PC if done right should last you 5 years before having to replace anything. Which is about the lifespan of a full generation of consoles now. Mine is on year 4 and still running VR games and games released this year. you’re going to pay more in the long and short term. If you bought your gaming PC for over $1k which is likely at the same time PS5 comes out I’d expect PS6 would be coming out around the time youre gonna start needing replacements. So for 1 PC gaming computer cost you could probably buy both this upcoming gen and next gen consoles. Just remember it’s not about the cost though Becuase you will get the best gaming experiences of your life. And you will get so many more games you didn’t even knew existed. And some extremely fun ones. If your a tactical shooter fan there’s a ton of games that blow COD out of the water but only are on PC. 
  • I'm not a big video game player so I haven't bought a console since Super Nintendo came out.

I've always been into computers though.  For me, a computer is more practical.  If any game comes out that I want to play, I can get them, but also day to day having a good computer in my house has way more uses than just playing video games.

I also really like designing and modding computers - that's a hobby unto itself.  My current set-up:

calebthrowerHatorianGiovanniFlukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Man my best PC gaming days- Jester dorm Floor 9 with a t1 line and we all half life’d erry night. Yes get a gamer PC. 
  • I've been building my own computers for over 20 years. The one big advantage is that the games are way cheaper than console games. The other is you'll have access to a larger library of games.

You can even build a mid tier PC and play most games fine. You can also swap out parts when you need, like upgrading your graphics card or throwing in more RAM. I'm a PC games all the way so to me there aren't many cons. 
    CretanBull
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    It's the worst possible time to buy a gaming PC. It's always the worst time to buy a gaming PC since there are always tech advancements right around the corner, but right now is the actual worst time.

New consoles give you an amazing value for everything packed in and all the games are optimized for what's in those boxes. PC gaming is all about brute forcing. So to buy a gaming PC that's going to be on par with the experience you'll get from the consoles and get a couple years of future proofing, you're looking at spending at least $1500.

The next generation of of Nvidia cards are also just around the corner and the 3080s could be out by the end of the year. You don't want to spend $1500 on a PC and feel like it's outdated a couple months later.

I don't know what kind of games you're into, but if you're looking at learning mouse and keyboard for multiplayer shooters, it's going to be a long and extremely frustrating learning process. You'll also have a future of facing neverending savage head clickers. 95% of games are also developed to use a controller these days anyway.

Ultimately though, it's really just up to how much disposable income you've got burning a hole in your pocket because pretty much every shortcoming of PC gaming can be fixed by throwing money at it.

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited June 22
    Giovanni said:
    I've been building my own computers for over 20 years. The one big advantage is that the games are way cheaper than console games. The other is you'll have access to a larger library of games.

That's not really the case anymore. Sure, there's always the shady key resellers, but most of the console sales are inline with Steam sales these days.
    One benefit of PC games are you can download them and crack them. 
  • Hunkulese said:
    Giovanni said:
    I've been building my own computers for over 20 years. The one big advantage is that the games are way cheaper than console games. The other is you'll have access to a larger library of games.

That's not really the case anymore. Sure, there's always the shady key resellers, but most of the console sales are inline with Steam sales these days.
    Could be, I haven't bought console game in a long time. What I remember is console games were always significantly more expensive. Maybe that's changed. Probably worth the OPs time to investigate. 

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited June 22
    The OP is a bot so we should probably at least edit those links out of his posts so nobody clicks on them.

I don't think game price is as much of a seller for PC games anymore given the up front investment and everything being digital even for consoles now. There are still Steam sales but they're usually not the "every game from this publisher for 7.99" type deals they used to be. The best deal going right now is probably the Xbox Game Pass, especially the people who got it for like 5 years at a dollar a year when they were running discounts on it.

The biggest thing for me with PC games growing up was the mod support. I grew up playing Counter Strike and various other HL mods, custom maps in Starcraft and Warcraft 3 and shit like that that isn't there on consoles. This was huge for me as a kid cause you only had to buy one game and it could last you forever. Nowadays there's less of that cause every game is online and service-ized in a way that you can't do whatever you want with it, there aren't as many custom servers and they want to sell you DLC so they're not as eager to let people generate unlimited free content for their games.

I will say I don’t think I’ve ever paid full price for a PC game. I always use the steam sales. But that’s also cuz I still purchase all the big tent pole games on my Xbox one x
  • Where you get the real significant deals on PC games is in bundles and stuff like flash sales or steam seasonal sales. Those don't really happen on consoles. But average, non-sale prices are basically the same (except Nintendo, where stuff never goes on sale and even used prices are crazy). 

However, with Xbox live game pass and the sales you can get on that subscription (I'm averaging like $5/month in the almost a year I've had it) my price per game on xbox is REAL low right now. 
    CretanBull