Experience with 85 inch TVs?

edited June 22 in Other TV

I am upgrading my living room TV and I am fairly picky about picture quality - doesn't have to be the best contrast, but prefer it to present the image as correctly as possible, without distracting issues.

I am seated 12 feet from where the TV sits, so I'm thinking an 85 inch screen would give the best experience in the long run. I am hesitant though, because I am afraid that going that large may make it difficult to obtain a panel that is free of distracting picture issues. Does anyone here have personal experience with 85 inch TVs that they can speak to?

1. Were you happy with the picture on your set?

2. Did you have any picture issues that you suspect were made worse by the larger size?

3. Did it ever feel too large?

4. Is FALD blooming generally worse on 85 inches, or do sets usually have more zones in larger sizes?

Thanks in advance for any feedback 

192.168.0.1 routerlogin 192.168.l.l

Comments

• JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I can't speak to all of your questions.  I bought an 85" Vizio (1080p) back when 85" 4K TVs were around $15k USD.

Picture has been great.  It has NEVER felt too large.  My last house the couch was about 7 feet from the screen and it didn't feel too large.  

I'd just recommend reading some decent reviews.  Like these: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/80-82-85-inch
    fidoz
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Also, be aware that whatever you end up buying, in 6 months to a year there will be some new technology that will blow it all away.  

I bought my 55" 4K Sony tv for an unreasonably high price tag a few years back.  6 months later, all the HDR's came out.  Another 6 months after that, comparable 55" 4k HDR TV's are under $1000.  I think personally I will quit buying the expensive high end TV's and pick up more budget friendly ones.  Then again, I'm an easy mark when I'm in the market.
    DoubleA_RonHatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Also, be aware that whatever you end up buying, in 6 months to a year there will be some new technology that will blow it all away.  

I bought my 55" 4K Sony tv for an unreasonably high price tag a few years back.  6 months later, all the HDR's came out.  Another 6 months after that, comparable 55" 4k HDR TV's are under $1000.  I think personally I will quit buying the expensive high end TV's and pick up more budget friendly ones.  Then again, I'm an easy mark when I'm in the market.
    This. I got a Curved Samsung 65 for a ridiculous high price only for HDR to come out like 2 months later. And curved was such a bad idea. A part of me was happy when the kids broke it(throwing stuff in the house and unlucky bounce cracked the screen and Samsung wouldn’t cover it and the repair was like a third of the cost of the TV) so I went back out and got a newer 4K with all the HDR stuff. Not fun paying for 2 TVs on 0% interest plans though. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston

I remember buying a 50" Plasma for something like $5k in 2004. I was so paranoid about burning images into the screen.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Hatorian said:

And curved was such a bad idea. 
    Because of the viewing angle?
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    As long as you got a good viewing distance there's not much trouble a large screen would have that a smaller screen wouldn't have.  I had a 75" and I sat around 8-10 feet away and it never felt too large. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Cory said:
    Hatorian said:

And curved was such a bad idea. 
    Because of the viewing angle?
    Yea. Our living room is massive so it looks weird for people who are sitting further out and to the sides. 

It’s a cool decor piece and it does look good in the right spots. Cool immersion. But I would recommend it for a small room where everyone gets a pretty good straight view. 
  • I can't speak to all of your questions.  I bought an 85" Vizio (1080p) back when 85" 4K TVs were around $15k USD.

Picture has been great.  It has NEVER felt too large.  My last house the couch was about 7 feet from the screen and it didn't feel too large.  

I'd just recommend reading some decent reviews.  Like these: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/80-82-85-inch

I second doing some research on the different 85" TVs out there. rtings is my go to when someone asks my recommendation on TVs. Not sure what you're looking to spend but Samsung's QLED is the real deal and about the only thing that can compete against the quality of OLED. All TVs that size come with HDR but not all support Dolby Vision. The TVs without Dolby Vision default to playing it in HDR10 but Dolby Vision is more or less seen as the superior form of HDR. If you have any specific questions feel free to direct message me. 

I used to do home theater installs for Best Buy and while I haven't followed TVs nearly as closely they've gone down huge in price. You're still paying a bit of a premium for something as big as your looking but you sound like one of the few people that actually need an 85" TV. You'd be amazed at how many 85" TV's I wall mounted when the viewing distance was only 6-8 feet away. Typically got a lot of complaints because 1080p doesn't look anywhere near as good as 4k on an 85" TV when you're sitting that close.