God damnit Cas Anvar

Accused by multiple underage women of sexual assault. Heads up, the details are as fucking vile as you’d think they’d be. 

Cecilyawookiee

Comments

• Yeah, doesn’t look great. As a side note Facebook Expanse group I’m in (the expanse geeks) already turned into comment cancer. :-( 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Jesus, there really are scumbags everywhere.
    Dee
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    If this turns out to be true (and the accusations are really damning), they almost have to either re-cast or write out of the show, right?
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited June 24
    Any man with his temperament (and I was in the front row at his Dragon Con panel), it's asshole until proven innocent for me. The trouble is these men go after the 17-year-olds who don't know better. 
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    There are SEVERAL accusations.  
  • Damn, that just sucks. I did fan art portraits of several Expanse characters a couple years ago, and he sent me a nice message. I was hoping he was a nice guy, but that’s not looking likely.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Wow, he was one of the people that really cheerled the save the expanse campaign. This is so fucked.  It's good to see this reckoning happen, if it wrecks Alex's character in the short term so be it.

God, do I feel like seeing what /r/theexpanse is saying tonight? No, I guess I don't. Save any disappointment or pleasant surprise for tomorrow.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, that's the thing. When there is a fresh allegation, you can kind of be circumspect and wait and see, because shit happens and women are as capable of being fuckers as any man. But when they come in bunches, it's just so unlikely they're coming out of nowhere.
    MarciFlukes
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 25
    Jeez. That sucks but if true he’s got to go. 

Chris De Elia was also recently accused and he actually played a pedo in a Workaholics Episode. Talk about method acting. 

Edit: apparently they are dropping the episode from all streaming sites. I have this workaholics episode within a purchased season on iTunes. I wonder if Apple is going to take it down too. 
  • edited June 25
    Damn that sucks because as A.Ron said he was the biggest driver in the Save the Expanse movement. He had an very good interview on The Churn podcast talking about the night Jeff Bezos announced that Amazon was picking up The Expanse. They almost have to recast the actor because of the show being based off the books. I suppose they could just kill him off and pick up a new pilot but that seems more messy to pull off.
    Obviously anybody can do these kinds of things behind closed doors but he seemed like a pretty genuine and good guy in all the behind the scenes and interviews I've heard him in. 
  • This also blew up in art circles over the weekend. He's a Magic the Gathering artist, runs an online art school, and has a decent measure of internet fame.

• JaimieT said:
    It's asshole until proven innocent for me. 
    Unsurprising. That's the view of everyone on social media when something comes up. It's a good thing that the courts hold that people are innocent until proven guilty. That's the stance that I will hold until he is proven to be a creep, then I will pile on
    JaimieT said:
    Unsurprising. That's the view of everyone on social media when something comes up. It's a good thing that the courts hold that people are innocent until proven guilty. That's the stance that I will hold until he is proven to be a creep, then I will pile on

You're talking about legalities and/or whether or not he keeps his job. 

I'm talking about surviving and thriving as a woman. 
    FlukesMarciDeeRyanReeseman
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I don't believe in piling on.  It's not for me.  I think there's enough of that already out in the world, really.  

When the Hardwick allegations came out, I defended him while the whole internet piled on.  Same with Anzari.  In both of those cases, there was a single accuser.  In Hardwick's case, there were several of his ex's that put out statements they had never seen or experienced any of the abuses that were alleged when they were together.  

In this case, I'm not going to defend Anvar on the "innocent until proven guilty" grounds.  There are too many accusations for his innocence to be likely.  

I don't think he should lose his job today, but I do think these allegations should be taken seriously and an investigation should be launched.  If that investigation determines he has acted inappropriately, he should be fired.  

As for the Expanse, it sucks all around.  If they keep him on, not only will people boycott the show, but anyone he victimized would have to weigh their love for the show against supporting and watching their abuser.  If they let him go, he is an integral part of the story.  He would have to be recast.  They did it with Avasarala's husband, but he was a bit player.  Either way, it's bad for the Expanse.  
    DoubleA_RonMarciA_Ron_HubbardRyanReeseman
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 25
    Yeah, that's the thing. When there is a fresh allegation, you can kind of be circumspect and wait and see, because shit happens and women are as capable of being fuckers as any man. But when they come in bunches, it's just so unlikely they're coming out of nowhere.
    My go to formula: 1 or 2 accusations, we'll see. At 3, 1 has gotta be valid. At 5, at least 3 are. At 10, 9 for sure.
    FlukesA_Ron_Hubbardhisdudeness915
    edited June 25
    I still don't understand why he has to be recast or fired. Maybe there's some worse shit I haven't seen. The idea that many or most powerful men don't harass women for sex, and that Cas is an exception that should be punished, is hilarious to me. It's like propagating a fantasy, or living in a fantasy world. I just want to live in the fantasy world of The Expanse. The real world sucks!  :D

But, I guess men will never learn unless you make some examples. 

Women fans get punished twice.  :D
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    If you're curious where Ty and Dan's heads are at on this, you can glimpse their opinions about how effective the legal system is at prosecuting sexual assault and getting to the truth of allegations on their twitter feeds right now.

Dee
    A Reddit user has collected links to the (many) allegations here:

Form your own opinion, or don't. The truth doesn't care.

Dee
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    JaimieT said:

People have been locked up on way less proof than what's in these accusations.
    JaimieT said:
    I still don't understand why he has to be recast or fired. Maybe there's some worse shit I haven't seen. The idea that many or most powerful men don't harass women for sex, and that Cas is an exception that should be punished, is hilarious to me. It's like propagating a fantasy, or living in a fantasy world. I just want to live in the fantasy world of The Expanse. The real world sucks!  :D

But, I guess men will never learn unless you make some examples. 

Women fans get punished twice.  :D

I'm going to have to think about this take.
    Cecily