John Adams miniseries review?

edited July 1 in Other TV
Just wondering if Jim or Aron would ever consider doing a podcast on the HBO miniseries “John Adams” starring Paul Giamatti?  I’ve started rewatching it and find it to be very inspirational during this time of political tumult.  Plus Giamatti absolutely kills it in his role as John Adams winning him an Emmy for the performance.  I looked around for reviews of the series and they’re  pretty slim and not great.  Anyways just a request from a long time fan and club member!!
Doctor_Nick

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Thanks for reminding me of this show. I really need to watch it. I keep meaning to and haven't got around to it. 
    mjterrier
  • giardinellogiardinello Long Island, NY
    I'm so glad you brought this up. This is the best series about the time period ever created. It's based on David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography. The series was also created by the same studio that created Band of Brothers and The Pacific (Tom Hanks' company, Playtone). I would absolutely love a podcast on this, especially since it stars Giamatti --it's perfect for Jim and A.Ron. Even if they don't, I'd highly recommend this to anyone interested in history or period pieces.  
    mjterrierneilfgks
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited July 2
    My wife and I are going through this now. Its been great so far. I really appreciate how they are showing the strain on Adam's family going through the revolution process. That is not something I'd really ever considered before. 

• Laura Linney as Abigail Adams, Tom Wilkinson as Benjamin Franklin, Stephen Dillane as Thomas Jefferson and David Morse as George Washington.  Just a murderer’s row of amazing character actors.

So far my favorite episode is Ep.2 “Independence”.  The first meeting of the continental congress in Philadelphia where we are introduced to Franklin, Jefferson and Washington.

Gotta say the first time I saw Washington on screen it gave me goosebumps!  David Morse, with very little dialog, manages to convey this humble integrity and leadership.

I really appreciate how we see all of these men with huge egos and rigid ideologies overcome their own shortcomings and work together to build a new form of government of not men but laws.  Gives me hope for our country in this dark time.  We fought the Revolution while the plague was raging and we overcame our differences to secure a hopeful future.  We’re capable of doing it again with the right leadership.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I was also pleasantly surprised to see Justin Theroux playing John Hancock!
    mjterriercdriveDoubleA_Ron
  • jbryant27jbryant27 Waxahachie, TX
    It's been several years since I've seen it, and I forgot how loaded the cast was. This thread definitely piqued my interest to go back for a rewatch. 
    mjterrier
  • agree with the positive opinions on the show - remember thinking it was very good
    coverage would definitely be an unexpected treat!
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I thought the show was great as a TV show.  As far as historical accuracy goes...this was the most 'generous' portrayal of Adams that I've ever seen.
  • We loved this miniseries when it came out. And after watching Hamilton last night I’m ready for a rewatch. 
    mjterrier
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    With the Hamilton release, I've been tempted to rewatch this. Did a whole lot of reading on the Adams/Hamilton enmity so I'm inspired to go back sometime this week. Looking forward to it. 

And yeah, if the guys want to take the time to watch it and do a podcast during quarantine, that would be great. Maybe they could do special podcast on the Hamilton musical and follow it up with the Adams miniseries. Tie it in to current events. 
    mjterrierJSDCA
  • edited July 5
    That would be EPIC!  I don’t have Disney+ do you know if Hamilton will be available on other platforms in the future?  Not a musical guy myself but if it’s on for free I’d watch it.

I finished “John Adams” yesterday and while I found the later episodes to be less interesting (obviously less action and drama after the Revolution), it was nonetheless inspiring to see how Adams and Jefferson’s relationship evolved.  Even after bitter rivalry, they managed to speak again and rekindle a great friendship because of their ability to accept that even though they disagreed mightily with each other, they recognized the other had love for our country and wants what is best for us all.

One of my favorite clips is Ben Franklin and John Adams discussing “The Art of Communication”.  I think Franklin’s advice is particularly prescient in the age of social media lol!

https://youtu.be/_I7f4ALqojg
    JSDCA
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I thought the show was great as a TV show.  As far as historical accuracy goes...this was the most 'generous' portrayal of Adams that I've ever seen.
    Is it as generous to Adams as Hamilton is to Hamilton? Don't get me wrong. Hamilton was a very enjoyable play. But I do cringe a bit when I hear people mention the play as history.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 11
    Is it as generous to Adams as Hamilton is to Hamilton? Don't get me wrong. Hamilton was a very enjoyable play. But I do cringe a bit when I hear people mention the play as history.
    I haven't seen Hamilton yet, but I'm planning to - maybe even tonight.

As for Adams, it's a truly great show but it ignores some really ugly but defining character traits that Adams had.  He was an elitist in the truest sense of the word, he thought that he and his class were above everyone else.  He wanted the President to be a King that was named by his fellow elites, he had Thomas Jefferson's cousin (who was a reporter) beaten on the floor of Congress for writing a critical article.

A few years ago I read a book called "A Confederacy of Letters" and it was a compilation of every letter that Jefferson and Adams wrote to each other.  It's an amazing book because it gives us a tremendous amount of insight into what each of them actually believed.  Jefferson comes off as a true genius who genuinely believes in people and democracy whereas Adams very clearly has an 'old-world' snobby view who believes that wealthy people are morally superior etc.

• jluzaniajluzania Denver
    Yeah, I know the miniseries is based on David McCullough's book. I read that he'd set out to write a dual Adams/Jefferson biography, but as he was researching, he took a major shine to Adams. As a result, the biography ended up not only focusing exclusively on him, but also being very favorable, a feature many reviews I read saw reflected in the show. 
    CretanBull