Greatest (or whatever) day of your life...

JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
What’s the greatest day of your life... or like... a super fun day that comes to mind when you’re asked that question?

On Easter of 1992 or 93, my family finished Easter Dinner (i.e. lunch). Then, someone suggested we take the afternoon to renew our season passes to Six Flags. So... we did that, and then we decided to hang out and ride some rides.

Well... I guess because it was Easter, no one else was around. We seriously saw only a few other people in the entire park over the course of a few hours. It was like we were friends with Richie Rich in a rented theme park.

I’ve since been told that Easter is just like any other day.... but for a moment in time... it was something amazing.
MichelleNoelcdriveHatorian

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I guess the proper answer is wedding or kids birth. But if going to remove those as obvious answers id go with maybe the Cubs World Series win. 
    NoelcdriveJoshuaHeter
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 4
    @JoshuaHeter that's pretty cool!  Having a whole amusement park pretty much to yourself is the dream.  :)

I can think of a few (it's hard to pick just one):
    • Strolling through Central Park for the first time
    • Sailing out to Horseshoe Falls with my dad at the front rail on the upper deck & feeling the mist from the falls, then seeing double rainbows in the mist as the boat turned around at the curve of the falls to sail back to the pier.  That whole day in Niagara Falls was incredible.
    • Watching fireworks from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial
    cdriveNoelHatorianJoshuaHeter
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I don't have a wedding day or childbirth story (yet!), I assume those events will top my list one day, but for now..

The emotional bliss of this is going to be hard to convey.  I've been a huge soccer fan my whole life, but without a domestic league worth following I've followed Leeds United (my grandparents are from Leeds) but always from a distance. 

In 2007, Toronto was awarded a franchise in the MLS (America's top soccer league...we were the first non-American team to join!).  I was involved from day 1...joined the supporter's group, bought my season tickets etc.  Our first 5-6 seasons were awful, like truly dreadful.  Losing teams, bad players, zero entertainment value, constant fights between the fans and management, lots of anger, protests (about ticket prices, firing managers, being mistreated by security etc).  It really, really sucked to be a supporter.  Our supporter's group went from having over 2000 members to about 300 in those first few years...but I couldn't give up on them.

This is the part that's going to be hard to get across.  One day, not a special day, not a special game, just one regular game day I was standing in the supporter's section, I'd had a couple of beers, the sun was setting, the team was playing well and everything just fell into place for me.  I just had a realization that I'd spent so many years feeling nothing but negativity towards the team and it suddenly dawned on me that I finally had a soccer team, in my own town, representing us.  Looking around, I saw all of these people who'd gone through the same shit I did and we all made it through together.  It was like we finally arrived - even though we'd been around for years.  It was pure bliss.  All of the anger, frustration, hardships...all of the negativity that defined those first 5-6 years of supporting the team just floated away.  It felt like an existential moment, the type of thing that maybe Buddhist monks devote their lives trying to achieve...a pure, warm peace just washed over me and literally everything in the universe just felt right. The calmness and peace that I felt in that moment is the best that I've ever felt in my life.

HatorianNoelJoshuaHetercdrive
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited July 5
    Hatorian said:
    I guess the proper answer is wedding or kids birth. But if going to remove those as obvious answers id go with maybe the Cubs World Series win. 
    I’m a die-hard Cardinals fan... but I’m also a human being... watching Cubs fans experience 2016 chokes me up every time. I can’t be cynical about that amount of human joy.
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Hatorian said:
    I’m a die-hard Cardinals fan... but I’m also a human being... watching Cubs fans experience 2016 chokes me up every time. I can’t be cynical about that amount of human joy.
    Yea. It was such an amazing game too. Not only coming back from down 3-1 game’s but the entire game itself was just amazing from the lead off homer to the David Ross pinch hit to Chapman giving up the lead to LeBron James flexing and the crowd going crazy. After that it was like “we really are cursed. We’re going to lose after being up 2 runs with the best closer in the game in the 8th inning”. I’m just thinking this entire time, I’m from the south side so all my friends save 1 are Sox fans, I’ll never hear the end of this. 2003 was bad...this is going to be 100 times worse...

then Chapman mans up with some huge balls and goes into the bottom of the 9th and shuts it down. then we get a miraculous rain delay of 17 minutes reminiscent of the 17 seconds of the Blackhawks 13 championship. Totally allowing the Cubs to collect themselves. 

Jayson heyward earns every dollar of his 180mil contract in that 17 span With his speech. I just wish there was audio of it.. Cubs come out score 2. Indians come back in the bottom of the 10th and get 1 back. We’re down to a journeyman who isn’t even a closer in the biggest spot of all time. A tough hit that could have easily been an error if played wrong by Bryant closes it out. 

The ups and downs of that game. You couldn’t ask for a better way to win a World Series for a team that suffered for 108 years. 

Have a friend who works for Jostens who did the replica rings got this for me for $250.