Anyone watching I May Destroy You on HBO?

edited July 8 in Other TV
Off the top, big time TW re: Sexual assault

This may be the best new drama of the year and the most difficult thing I’ve ever watched. I checked it out on a total whim and have remained riveted by Michaela Coel throughout, who created and stars.

Synopsis from IMDb:
The question of sexual consent in contemporary life and how, in the new landscape of dating and relationships, we make the distinction between liberation and exploitation.
ElisaGiovanni

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’ve heard of it and noticed a lot of high praise for it. On The Watch, Andy and Chris declared it the top show of 2020 so far. That’s more than enough to get me to watch it. It has moved to the top of my list of what to watch next.
    ElisaGiovanni
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Just watched the first two episodes and I thought they were great. I really had no idea what this was about and it's both intriguing and heartbreaking. I love the whole feel of the show in general though. Michaela is fantastic (duh) and I think one of the things that sticks out the most for me are the music choices. Very cool stuff.
    ElisaGiovanni
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    It is so good.  Michaela Cole is such a talent.  The subject is very real and difficult but the approach is so refreshing.  The music is fantastic as well.
    RyanReesemanGiovanni
    Dammm. Just caught up through Episode 5. This show is fantastic.
    RyanReeseman
  • I just wanted to say thanks for recommending this show.  I had started a free trial for HBO Max and I haven't had HBO since Watchmen so I was wondering where to start.  I caught up in only 2 days, this show is fantastic!
    Murderbear
    I am simply commenting to keep this up towards the top. I wish more people would watch this show. It's brilliant.
    RyanReeseman
  • edited July 23
    I am simply commenting to keep this up towards the top. I wish more people would watch this show. It's brilliant.
    It really is. I also just found out that it’s 12 episodes too which is way more than I thought it was going to be, and I’m all for longer programming at this moment. 
    Murderbear
  • Pencil me in as a fan too. Very thought provoking show.

It challenges me to consider some of my biases. My first was, do people actually do that many drugs? Aren't they opening themselves to far more risk? But really, the issue of drug use and sexual predators should be separate. I love that it's causing me to think about these things. 
    MurderbearRyanReeseman
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I know you are all giving this good reviews but I can't get past the trailer. 
    I know you are all giving this good reviews but I can't get past the trailer. 
    The funny thing is that I had seen the trailer a time or two before and thought it was something else. I thought it was going to be a trippy-ish show like Euphoria or something along those lines but it really is not at all. Still might not be your bag but it is very good. And definitely hitting on a lot of very important issues.
    Giovanni