Snowpiercer (TV Show)

Is anyone watching this?

It hasn't gotten the best reviews, but I've binged the season to date and I kinda like it - while also understanding why it hasn't been a critical hit.  I'm curious if anyone else is watching and what my fellow BMer's think of it.

Comments

• What service is it on? I liked the movie so I'll give it a shot. 
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    asmallcat said:
    What service is it on? I liked the movie so I'll give it a shot. 
    In Canada it's on Netflix, but it isn't a Netflix show...google tells me that it's on TNT in America - which is a network that we don't get here, which explains why it's on Netflix Canada.
  • I've got all the episodes saved on the DVR but haven't started it yet. I really enjoyed the movie and figured I'd at least give it a shot. You are correct, in the U.S. it airs on TNT.
    Here's my non-spoiler commentary...

If you're watching the show, you've almost certainly seen the movie and if you've seen the movie you know how it all ends.  So the challenge of the show is to tell stories that play on a lot of the same themes so that it feels like the movie while avoiding any stories that would conflict with what we know from the movie ie class struggle and revolution is a theme from the movie that can't be ignored but we know from the movie that no revolution was ever successful - so how do you get the TV audience invested in a revolution plot-line when we already know it can't succeed?  Likewise, stories about the train crashing, breaking down etc have the same problem because the movie tells us that whatever it went through in the past, the train was fine when the movie started.

I've watched 6 of the 8 episodes that have aired so far, and at least up until this point I think that they've found an interesting way of navigating the problem that I outlined above.  Those themes - rebellion, the constant peril that the train is in - are present, but they aren't the focus of the dramatic tension.  The show is a murder mystery, with those themes playing out in the background like a subplot and there's just enough little clues and hints of things to suggest that there's more going on so it invites a little bit of theory-crafting from the audience.
    FlukesElisa
  • edited July 9
    asmallcat said:
    What service is it on? I liked the movie so I'll give it a shot. 
    In Canada it's on Netflix, but it isn't a Netflix show...google tells me that it's on TNT in America - which is a network that we don't get here, which explains why it's on Netflix Canada.
    Oof, that probably means I can't watch it unless it's on Hulu. 

Edit - Yup, you need the super Hulu subscription to watch it. Damn. 
  • I've had a chance to watch the entire first season now and I liked it.  The professional reviewers are giving it middling reviews, but I think it's a bit better than that.  Apparently the show went through development hell and took 3 years to make with lots of behind the scenes problems.  I think at least some of the reviewers are aware of the production problems and that's tainted the view of the show.

It's difficult to talk about without spoiling, but I thought it ended really well and set up an interesting premise for the next season (which it's already been renewed for).  It's hard to predict if this show is going to step things up next year and become a premium type show or if it's going to slip and become a run of the mill sci-fy type of show.  I think it has equal potential to become a HBO quality show or a CW "Arrow" type of show (which isn't bad per se, just isn't going to be mentioned in the "PeaK TV" conversations).

It also appears that the show is going to draw as much from the comic as it does from the movie, which I find interesting.  It's not a faithful adaptation of either, but a synthesis of both.

• I've had a chance to watch the entire first season now and I liked it.  The professional reviewers are giving it middling reviews, but I think it's a bit better than that.  Apparently the show went through development hell and took 3 years to make with lots of behind the scenes problems.  I think at least some of the reviewers are aware of the production problems and that's tainted the view of the show.

It's difficult to talk about without spoiling, but I thought it ended really well and set up an interesting premise for the next season (which it's already been renewed for).  It's hard to predict if this show is going to step things up next year and become a premium type show or if it's going to slip and become a run of the mill sci-fy type of show.  I think it has equal potential to become a HBO quality show or a CW "Arrow" type of show (which isn't bad per se, just isn't going to be mentioned in the "PeaK TV" conversations).

It also appears that the show is going to draw as much from the comic as it does from the movie, which I find interesting.  It's not a faithful adaptation of either, but a synthesis of both.

I agree with the majority of what you said. I just finished the end of the first season and it was far more interesting and compelling than I expected it to be. I figured, especially with it being a TNT show, that it would be mediocre at best but I found myself pretty engaged and actually attached to some of the characters.

I think this being aired on TNT of all places is going to hurt it more than anything. Not sure what the airing numbers were but I feel like this show could be much bigger if it were on a more established network like AMC or FX. TNT isn't really known for their stellar TV series. 
    CretanBull
  • awookiee said:
    I've had a chance to watch the entire first season now and I liked it.  The professional reviewers are giving it middling reviews, but I think it's a bit better than that.  Apparently the show went through development hell and took 3 years to make with lots of behind the scenes problems.  I think at least some of the reviewers are aware of the production problems and that's tainted the view of the show.

I agree with the majority of what you said. I just finished the end of the first season and it was far more interesting and compelling than I expected it to be. I figured, especially with it being a TNT show, that it would be mediocre at best but I found myself pretty engaged and actually attached to some of the characters.

I think this being aired on TNT of all places is going to hurt it more than anything. Not sure what the airing numbers were but I feel like this show could be much bigger if it were on a more established network like AMC or FX. TNT isn't really known for their stellar TV series. 
    I'm not really familiar with TNT as a network, we don't get it in Canada.  As I mentioned above, here it's airing on Netflix Canada as is being promoted as a "Netflix Original".  The distribution rights to the show are probably being sold off around the world to different networks and streaming services.  I wonder if not having whatever stigma is attached to TNT in America will allow it to become an international hit?  ie here instead of being associated with a network that isn't known for having great shows (TNT) it has a little prestige of being seen as a Netflix Original.
  • awookiee said:
    I've had a chance to watch the entire first season now and I liked it.  The professional reviewers are giving it middling reviews, but I think it's a bit better than that.  Apparently the show went through development hell and took 3 years to make with lots of behind the scenes problems.  I think at least some of the reviewers are aware of the production problems and that's tainted the view of the show.

I'm not really familiar with TNT as a network, we don't get it in Canada.  As I mentioned above, here it's airing on Netflix Canada as is being promoted as a "Netflix Original".  The distribution rights to the show are probably being sold off around the world to different networks and streaming services.  I wonder if not having whatever stigma is attached to TNT in America will allow it to become an international hit?  ie here instead of being associated with a network that isn't known for having great shows (TNT) it has a little prestige of being seen as a Netflix Original.
    That's a good call out. TNT in the U.S. is more well known for playing kick-ass 80s and 90s action movies on repeat than it is anything else so I really do hope it pulls attention in foreign markets. I'd love to see Netflix pick it up for streaming rights later on to help build it's popularity and possibly even buy out the rights to the show overall. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i had no idea Bong Joon-ho directed the movie. well i'll be damned.
    CretanBull
    edited 3:18AM
    Chinaski said:
    i had no idea Bong Joon-ho directed the movie. well i'll be damned.
    He carried over the themes of class struggle etc into Parasite - apparently, he got the idea for Parasite while working on Snowpiercer.

Chinaski