The Old Guard (Netflix)

lengmolengmo RTP, NC
See the description of the video for the story overview and mild spoilers.

Mostly faithful adaption of the first story (of three) in the comics.  One of those rare movies with a lot of great action and a well-presented story.  Good casting, especially the newest member of "the old guard".  Far exceeded my expectations.
CretanBull

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    It was fun. I don't know anything about the source material but they're obviously going for a franchise and I'll definitely watch the next one. I liked the Martin Shkrelli bad guy and his plan that was way more evil than it had to be. The action was good for the most part and I really like all of the main characters except the ex CIA guy. The only Issues I really had were:
    1. The music during the action scenes. The vocals were super distracting and I couldn't take it seriously
    2. This kind of stuff happens in lots of movies, but the bad guys tended to spread out and randomly pop out of different corners at different times in the same hallway the heroes are standing in. Some of those scenes felt like a CW superhero show. 
  • The Martin Shkrelli/bad guy is Harry Melling. He was Dudley Dursley in Harry Potter films. I thought he did great.  
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Am I trippin’ or was this kind of awesome? Some cringe dialogue but honestly Charlize can punch me in the face anytime she wants.
    lengmo
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    amyja89 said:
    Am I trippin’ or was this kind of awesome? Some cringe dialogue but honestly Charlize can punch me in the face anytime she wants.

It was kind of awesome
    lengmo
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited July 17
    I'm glad others are enjoying it as much as I did.  The first five issues of the comic (basically the story in the movie) are collected as The Old Guard Vol. 1: Opening Fire (USD5.99 on Kindle/Comixology).  It's a bit better than the movie in some ways and gives some characters more depth, so if that sounds interesting it's worth checking out.  You can read the first issue online here https://imagecomics.com/read/the-old-guard

• I thought the action varied from laughable to decent. Some of the action was just ridiculous. This is the only movie I’ve ever seen where someone didn’t disarm a downed shooter. Instead they just stood around chatting about where they were going on their lunch break. 

I did like the premise of the story and characters. I think this might have been better served  as a short TV series rather than a two hour movie, which felt rushed. 

I’ll give it a 6/10. Entertaining but skippable. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I liked Highlander a lot better than this remake. 

I mean, it really is a less cool version of that universe.