Under the Radar Science Fiction Movies & TV

JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
What is your favorite (potentially) “under the radar” or (just) under appreciated science fiction movie or TV show?

I’d have to answe...

Another Earth

It’s admittedly fairly slowly paced, and the sci-fi element is (more or less) in the background of the main narrative, but it is (to me) an all around great film.

I’d love to hear everyone else’s answers.
neilfgksNoeljluzania

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 19
    Hmmm.... mine is probably Flash Forward.  It ran for one season and was cancelled, although I thought it was great.

From Wiki:  "FlashForward is constructed around a high-concept narrative where a mysterious event has caused nearly everyone on the planet to simultaneously lose consciousness for 137 seconds, during which time people see what appears to be a vision of their own life approximately six months in the future: a global "flashforward". A team of Los Angeles FBI agents, led by Stanford Wedeck (Courtney B. Vance) and spearheaded by Mark Benford (Joseph Fiennes) and his partner Demetri Noh (John Cho), begin the process of determining what happened, why, and whether it will happen again. Benford contributes a unique perspective on the investigation; in his flashforward, he saw the results of six months of investigation that he had done on the flashforward event, and he and his team use those clues to recreate the investigation.

The team investigates a number of events related to the flashforward, including "Suspect Zero", who did not lose consciousness during the event because of a quantum entanglement device (QED), the sinister "D. Gibbons/Dyson Frost", and a similar mass loss of consciousness in Somalia many years earlier in 1991. Meanwhile, personal revelations contained within the flashforwards occupy the personal lives of the principal characters. Mark Benford sees himself relapsing into alcoholism; his wife sees herself with another man; Demetri Noh sees nothing, which could mean that he will not be alive to see the day everyone else has glimpsed or, perhaps, that his future was not set on the day of the flashforward. Other characters grapple with similarly unexpected or surprising revelations in their flashforwards."

JoshuaHeterneilfgksnstinson
  • "In Time" (2011) is actually a really cool concept and mostly well-executed movie that doesn't quite live up to its potential but is still good enough to recommend. At least I remember thinking that almost 10 years ago when I saw it. The idea is that humans stop aging at 25 and get a device that gives them 1 more year to live, but they can purchase more time, potentially becoming immortal if they're able.

"Jumper" (2008) is another one like that. Most of it is good, but I just wanted a little more from it. The concept here is just that a dude has the power of teleportation and he gets a little loose with the ways he uses the power until Sam Jackson decides to hunt him down and stop him. Ok, it's not just Sam Jackson, it's a faction who wants to destroy all the people with teleportation powers. Pretty standard mutant / superhero stuff.
    JoshuaHeterNoel
  • Michelle said:
    Hmmm.... mine is probably Flash Forward.  It ran for one season and was cancelled, although I thought it was great.

From Wiki:  "FlashForward is constructed around a high-concept narrative where a mysterious event has caused nearly everyone on the planet to simultaneously lose consciousness for 137 seconds, during which time people see what appears to be a vision of their own life approximately six months in the future: a global "flashforward". A team of Los Angeles FBI agents, led by Stanford Wedeck (Courtney B. Vance) and spearheaded by Mark Benford (Joseph Fiennes) and his partner Demetri Noh (John Cho), begin the process of determining what happened, why, and whether it will happen again. Benford contributes a unique perspective on the investigation; in his flashforward, he saw the results of six months of investigation that he had done on the flashforward event, and he and his team use those clues to recreate the investigation.

The team investigates a number of events related to the flashforward, including "Suspect Zero", who did not lose consciousness during the event because of a quantum entanglement device (QED), the sinister "D. Gibbons/Dyson Frost", and a similar mass loss of consciousness in Somalia many years earlier in 1991. Meanwhile, personal revelations contained within the flashforwards occupy the personal lives of the principal characters. Mark Benford sees himself relapsing into alcoholism; his wife sees herself with another man; Demetri Noh sees nothing, which could mean that he will not be alive to see the day everyone else has glimpsed or, perhaps, that his future was not set on the day of the flashforward. Other characters grapple with similarly unexpected or surprising revelations in their flashforwards."

I remember this show. Watched the first few episodes when it premiered but didn't stick with it. It was talked about like the next LOST. Didn't pan out that way.
    Michellejbryant27
  • Journeyman on NBC. Only lasted one season but I enjoyed it. 

The series centers on Dan Vasser, a newspaper reporter living with his wife Katie and young son Zack in San Francisco. For an unknown reason, one day he begins "jumping" backward in time. He soon learns that each series of jumps follows the life of a person whose destiny he is meant to change. Dan's jumping affects his family life and his job, and instills suspicion in his brother Jack, a police detective. While in the past, Dan reconnects with his ex-fiancée, Livia, whom he had believed was killed in a plane crash but who is actually a fellow time traveler.
    neilfgks
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Screamers. It's not the best movie ever made, but still well worth a watch. Plus, it's got RoboCop.
    Also, Bald Move covered it for a commissioned podcast, so you know it was worth money to talk about!
    SchluppJim
  • Godzilla vs. The Astro monster (Monster Zero)
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    Not sure how many of these are considered under the radar, but...

Moon
    Never Let Me Go
    Edge of Tomorrow (a.k.a. Live, Die, Repeat)
    The Signal (2007)

For TV, Farscape.
    JoshTheBlackMoonMan13
  • Peeps said:
    Journeyman on NBC. Only lasted one season but I enjoyed it. 

The series centers on Dan Vasser, a newspaper reporter living with his wife Katie and young son Zack in San Francisco. For an unknown reason, one day he begins "jumping" backward in time. He soon learns that each series of jumps follows the life of a person whose destiny he is meant to change. Dan's jumping affects his family life and his job, and instills suspicion in his brother Jack, a police detective. While in the past, Dan reconnects with his ex-fiancée, Livia, whom he had believed was killed in a plane crash but who is actually a fellow time traveler.

This is right where my mind went too.  I so much want to find that show streaming somewhere to rewatch.  Granted, I had a huge softspot for it as a kid who grew up loving Quantum Leap, but I thought Journeyman was enough of a different take on a similar premise that I would've loved to see it keep going.
    Peepsneilfgks
  • Here's my entry to the list: Awake (2012) with Jason Isaacs.  Not necessarily great, but a fun mind twister. 

Michael lives in two separate realities after a car accident. In one reality, his wife Hannah survives the accident; in the other reality, his son Rex survives. Michael does not know which reality is "real", and uses the wristbands to differentiate the two. He sees two therapists: Dr. Jonathan Lee in the "red reality" and Dr. Judith Evans in the "green reality". At work, Michael's erratic behavior triggers clashes with his team; they do not know about Michael's uncanny ability to solve crimes using details from both realities.

MoonMan13
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Revolution was a TV show on NBC for 2 season I believe before it got canceled and I don't think it got a true conclusion. But has some pretty good and well known actors, I remember being really into the pilot episode for being on network TV during that time and solid 1st season all around.

And Zoo on CBS based on a James Patterson novel was a lot of fun.
    Peeps
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    The description of Awake reminded me of another movie I remember loving but haven't seen in a long time. It's called Sliding Doors (1998) and stars Gwyneth Paltrow. I am intrigued by the thought that varying a couple of seconds in your life can cause dramatically different outcomes.

In London, the public relation Helen is fired from her position in a PR company. While returning home, she does not catch the train in the subway. But in another possibility of her life, she catches the train in the subway. The story shows two parallel lives of Helen

FYI - US version was cut for language by Miramax to secure a PG-13 rating
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    So...my last post takes me to a more intense movie - The Butterfly Affect (2004) with Ashton Kutcher. If you have to pick between this movie and Sliding Doors I'd pick this movie. It is darker and more science fiction"y" 

Evan Treborn suffers blackouts during significant events of his life. As he grows up, he finds a way to remember these lost memories and a supernatural way to alter his life by reading his journal.
    Jim
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    jluzania said:
    Not sure how many of these are considered under the radar, but...

Moon
    Never Let Me Go
    Edge of Tomorrow (a.k.a. Live, Die, Repeat)
    The Signal (2007)

For TV, Farscape.
    I came here to say Moon.  Heartily seconded.  I liked all of these movies you listed though.  

Also:

Cube
    Europa Report
    Coherence (Loved this one!)
    Cronocrímenes (a.k.a. Time Crimes)
    The Man From Earth
    The Endless (2017)
    Resolution (2012)
    jluzaniabizmarkiefaderMoonMan13cdrive
  • edited July 23
    kuman07 said:
    Revolution was a TV show on NBC for 2 season I believe before it got canceled and I don't think it got a true conclusion. But has some pretty good and well known actors, I remember being really into the pilot episode for being on network TV during that time and solid 1st season all around.

And Zoo on CBS based on a James Patterson novel was a lot of fun.
    Revolution had a really solid first season
    The US is broken up into zones and each one was unique.

The second season got a little goofy with bringing the power back 
    kuman07
  • Snowpiercer (the TV show....the movie is great too if you haven't seen it!)

http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/7100/snowpiercer-tv-show
    awookiee
  • I'll third Moon. I loved that movie. Sam Rockwell is great in it.

I remember the first season of Revolution being good but I didn't stick with it. Giancarlo Esposito was what drew me to that one and I think I got disillusioned after I realized he wasn't in it all that much.

I'll also second The Endless. A.Ron and Cecily picked that as one of our "Double Dern" movie nights and I was really impressed.

Travelers on Netflix is a show I haven't seen mentioned yet. I really liked the first season but it got a little too... something for me in the 2nd season and I stopped watching.
    JoshuaHeterFreddyMoonMan13
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Attack the Block comes to mind.

and while some may not consider it 'Sci-Fi', i will. which is Safety Not Guaranteed.
    bizmarkiefaderjluzaniaJimCretanBullMoonMan13Flukes
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Chinaski said:

and while some may not consider it 'Sci-Fi', i will. which is Safety Not Guaranteed.

These are both great. I haven't seen Safety Not Guaranteed since it was new, does it hold up? I also second (or third or whatever) Resolution and Europa Report and I will always jump at a chance to cosign Coherence.

A movie I really like that I don't hear about often is Pandorum. It's a claustrophobic space horror movie that punches above its weight class. Space horror is a genre with a ton of potential that generally isn't taken very seriously outside of the Alien franchise so I really appreciate a solid one of these.

Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Chinaski said:

I haven't seen Safety Not Guaranteed since it was new, does it hold up?
    i haven't watched in several years tbh, but i'd assume so. i may just have to do a re-watch. not like i have anywhere to be :|
    bizmarkiefader
  • Chinaski said:

Oh yeah! Eric of Personal Arrogants introduced me to Attack the Block and I loved it.

Any Sunshine fans in here?
    CretanBull
  • Jim said:
    Chinaski said:

Oh yeah! Eric of Personal Arrogants introduced me to Attack the Block and I loved it.

I thought that was great - it's a really smart movie, not a surprise with Alex Garland writing and Danny Boyle at the helm.

Speaking of Garland, I don't know if it qualifies as "under the radar" but Ex Machina was absolutely brilliant.
    awookieeMoonMan13
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Jim said:
    Chinaski said:

I thought that was great - it's a really smart movie, not a surprise with Alex Garland writing and Danny Boyle at the helm.

Speaking of Garland, I don't know if it qualifies as "under the radar" but Ex Machina was absolutely brilliant.
    Garland's Annihilation might actually qualify as under the radar.  Excellent contamination type science fiction, like Stalker . Colour out of Space sort of thing....
    CretanBullNoelMoonMan13
  • Jim said:
    Chinaski said:

Garland's Annihilation might actually qualify as under the radar.  Excellent contamination type science fiction, like Stalker . Colour out of Space sort of thing....
    Alex Garland will forever be on my radar. His quality of work is outstanding. Ex Machina was excellent and then to follow up that with Annihilation and then the TV show Devs. He's got an amazing start in sci fi movies and TV. Looking forward to whatever he does next. 
    MoonMan13
  • How about Lexx, I don't remember if they have radars back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    Is Primer under the radar? V good no matter how you slice it.
    neilfgks
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    MoonMan13 said:
    Is Primer under the radar? V good no matter how you slice it.
    Primer is definitely another good one to add to the list.

Man I really love being reminded of all these great movies again:

Primer
    Coherence
    The Endless
    Moon

Great movies! 

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Jim said:
    "In Time" (2011) is actually a really cool concept and mostly well-executed movie that doesn't quite live up to its potential but is still good enough to recommend. At least I remember thinking that almost 10 years ago when I saw it. The idea is that humans stop aging at 25 and get a device that gives them 1 more year to live, but they can purchase more time, potentially becoming immortal if they're able.

"Jumper" (2008) is another one like that. Most of it is good, but I just wanted a little more from it. The concept here is just that a dude has the power of teleportation and he gets a little loose with the ways he uses the power until Sam Jackson decides to hunt him down and stop him. Ok, it's not just Sam Jackson, it's a faction who wants to destroy all the people with teleportation powers. Pretty standard mutant / superhero stuff.
    So I’ve recently watched both movies as of late and I gotta say, they both have the same problems. The leading man in both movies aren’t leading men. I give the edge to JT as he is the better performer over Hayden Christensen but neither can carry a film. Both concepts seem nice going in but ultimately you much have better actors (Cillian Murphy and Sam Jackson) playing their counterparts. 
  • Noel said:
    Jim said:
    "In Time" (2011) is actually a really cool concept and mostly well-executed movie that doesn't quite live up to its potential but is still good enough to recommend. At least I remember thinking that almost 10 years ago when I saw it. The idea is that humans stop aging at 25 and get a device that gives them 1 more year to live, but they can purchase more time, potentially becoming immortal if they're able.

So I’ve recently watched both movies as of late and I gotta say, they both have the same problems. The leading man in both movies aren’t leading men. I give the edge to JT as he is the better performer over Hayden Christensen but neither can carry a film. Both concepts seem nice going in but ultimately you much have better actors (Cillian Murphy and Sam Jackson) playing their counterparts. 
    Yeah, you're right about that. After discovering HC in the Star Wars prequels I was pleasantly surprised by his performance in Jumper but I had the lowest of expectations. JT is definitely the better of the two.
    Noel
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Is The Prisoner considered under the radar at this point?  It is some trippy retrofuturistic 1960s existentialist spy science fiction.
    CretanBullcdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Is The Prisoner considered under the radar at this point?  It is some trippy retrofuturistic 1960s existentialist spy science fiction.
    I would lose my shit if Jim & A.Ron 'watch partied' The Prisoner on Twitch / Amazon.  That would be wildly entertaining.

I borrowed my buddy's DVD set in my mid-20s and binged the hell out of it.  The Prisoner is so great and so cool.  

"Be seeing you."

Doctor_Nick