Macbeth Trailer - Michael Fassbender

FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
edited June 2015 in Movies
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44499

I got excited when i first head about this and the trailer makes it look likes it's got the material, budget, production and talent to be something pretty decent.

I'm a big fan of Shakespeare & Fassbender, so biased, but I think this will be good.

Elisasteph_bDaveyMacAnnelle

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Macbeth and Othello were always my favs, while R+J and Hamlet get all the shine...
    FlashGordon
  • TOTAL. LADY BONER. I actually got chills when watching the trailer. 
    FlashGordonSlytherinSister
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    I love Shakespeare film adaptations so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

The last one, Coriolanus, was really cool and well done in the modern setting but I think this one will have a very detailed and accurate historical setting that's going to be awesome as well!
    FlashGordon
  • @Arctor loved Coriolanus too
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Looks amazing, although I would just be in for the all early Anglo-Saxon costumes and sets (and yes, to hear Fassbender recite Shakespeare... GODS!!). Always had a fascination in ancient Europe (okay, well, ancient Europe seen through Shakespeare's eyes...kinda like viewing ancient greece through the Renaissance...but that's how history goes...)

steph_bFlashGordon
  • Damn, this looks amazing! I love Fassbender, Macbeth, and the visual style here looks incredible. Can't wait!
    FlashGordon
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited June 2015
    @aberry89 I'm so down with Fassbender reciting some Shakespeare. 

It's a good point about the lens through which a period of history is viewed, especially with Shakes , because so much  of his work is based on historical events , it kind of becomes de facto history, despite it being mostly fiction..... all that said it's probably portrays a relatively accurate, general depiction of the power struggles going on at that time in that place. 

It also helps that it's basically one of the greatest tragedies ever written, IMO :)
    DaveyMac
    edited June 2015
    Yes, I always try to remember that history is what other's made it and you're not looking through a clear lens back in time. Actually, It's a concept that really fascinates me. The Victorians romanticized the Medieval period, with chivalrous knights, princesses locked in towers, Robin Hood, etc, etc. When we picture Ancient Greece, we are really thinking of how the Renaissance imagined ancient Greece, however those in the Renaissance were relying on paintings and sculptures that were in actuality what Rome borrowed from Anceint Greece!. 

Actually, I remember you saying you wanted to do a podcast, that would be a great idea! Each episode busting some historical appocracy...I dont know how sustaining the idea is...depends on how much muddled history there is out there :)
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited June 2015
    @aberry89 Yeh the BHP has a bugbear about so much history interpretation being informed by the Victorian period, and it's huge biased towards Rome in particular and everything after 1066 , it  ends up gliding over a casual 600 years with the 'angles & saxons came, then the vikings came' in the UK anyway, but it's general to the 'Dark Ages' being exclusive to Europe, in Asia it was all happening.

That's a great idea for a cast and there's no shortage of historical foul play to tackle, but it doesn't bother me enough to make a show on it from me interesting, could maybe be your foray into it :)

stuff like 300 & Gladiator make a good effort and i'm just glad they're making somthing vaguely attached to history (Apart from Troy that was awful)

I know what I want to do anyway, I've got a couple of episodes rough written but not recorded, if I ever manage to release i'll send it to you :)
    Please do! That's wonderful that your going ahead with it.

Thanks for linking the BHP, that looks fantastic...and good lord 180 shows! That will last me a while :) I haven't found a lot of good british history podcast's, usually their focus is on warfare, The Crusades, Nelson, Saxon Invasion...(not that's it's not interesting, but I usually prefer to hear about the politics/customs over the battles.)

Yeah, I can't remember if we have talked about this before, but HBO's Rome was another show that really did a good job trying to get the customs, visuals and history pretty accurate, while still having an engaging fictional side story. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.

Closest I have gotten to seeing Macbeth was Akira Kurosawa's Throne of blood, so I'm looking forward to seeing this version.

FlashGordonDaveyMac
  • I love Throne of Blood.