House of the Dragon will take place during the Targaryen civil war

Apparently it has been leaked that the first two roles being cast for HOTD are Rhaenyra Targaryen and Alicent Hightower, two main central figures in The Dance of the Dragons.

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/07/20/game-of-thrones-house-of-the-dragon-rumor-casting-rhaenyra-targaryen-alicent-hightower/

awookieenstinson

Comments

• I can get behind this
  • I read fire and blood and liked it, but I'm pretty burned out on GoT TV. 
    ken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    HBO exec “I  don’t care which prequel story we pick. As long as it doesn’t have Dire wolves.  We can’t afford them. “
    GiovanniasmallcatEine FrauRyanReesemanFreddygjames80
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Maybe the bitter taste will have faded by the time these actually come out.  
  • The problem is the established canon of the mother series like Targaryen can go crazy on a dime no matter what happened before. For me there would be no point to get emotionally invested in a Targaryen character ever again.
  • I'm in. I'm also one that saw the flaws in season 8 but still enjoyed it. 
    blue_sleevenstinsonNinerFaithful
  • edited July 26
    Schlupp said:
    The problem is the established canon of the mother series like Targaryen can go crazy on a dime no matter what happened before. For me there would be no point to get emotionally invested in a Targaryen character ever again.
    Hopefully they don’t rigidly stick to the dumber D&D infused aspects of the original show. I’d like to see them stick more to the logic and politics of the books.
    Teresa from ConcordGiovanni
  • awookiee said:
    I'm in. I'm also one that saw the flaws in season 8 but still enjoyed it. 

Same. No bad taste in my mouth
  • My GOT hatred rests squarely on the DDs. I think everyone else part of GOT did a great job. That said season 8 was a pile of crap. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Giovanni said:
    My GOT hatred rests squarely on the DDs. I think everyone else part of GOT did a great job. That said season 8 was a pile of crap. 
    It's actually heart-wrenching to watch the documentary they put together about the final episodes. Because everyone is working their ass off and pulling unbelievable hours. Not because they have to, but because they care how good the finished product will be. 
    Giovanni
  • Schlupp said:
    The problem is the established canon of the mother series like Targaryen can go crazy on a dime no matter what happened before. For me there would be no point to get emotionally invested in a Targaryen character ever again.
    For me there's just no point to get emotionally invested in a Benieoff/Weiss - written character. But, yeah, I don't know if I can care about this enough to watch it.
    Schlupp
    What are the odds they can Better Call Saul this?  And that show has issues of its own, I'm not on board with the better than Breaking Bad hype train with the glacial pacing for seasons at a time.  
  • edited July 29
    The only way forward is to distance themselves as far as possible from the mother series. The problem is that the lore is messed up in a way that resonates back in the timeline (whitewalkers, targaryiens, dragons, children of the forest, armour, climate, physics, magic to name a few).
    They might sell me on a soft reboot if none of the writers or directors of the D&S era have a hand in it. Or if Mimi Leder and Lynne Ramsay are the head writer / showrunner.   Even than I will probably be watching the first episodes with my arms crossed daring the show to change my mind. If it goes the Picard / Discovery route it migth at least be fun to trash talk it in a negan era walking dead style podcast .
    Doctor_NickEine Frau
    Yeah, I hadn't even thought about that dealing with all the stuff that didn't pan out is going to be a buzzkill.  Why are you gonna care about the episodes dealing with the mysterious genesis of the White Walkers when you know it just fizzles out?
  • Yeah, I hadn't even thought about that dealing with all the stuff that didn't pan out is going to be a buzzkill.  Why are you gonna care about the episodes dealing with the mysterious genesis of the White Walkers when you know it just fizzles out?
    There aren’t going to be any episodes about white walkers.
    There aren’t going to be any episodes about white walkers.

Hopefully not. 
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    Barring expansion on the material, we shouldn't even see the Wall. But depending how many years they want this show to go on, maybe they'll expand the story to show more areas of Westeros. 
  • jluzania said:
    Barring expansion on the material, we shouldn't even see the Wall. But depending how many years they want this show to go on, maybe they'll expand the story to show more areas of Westeros. 

I always wondered what's west of W..., ah, never mind.
    Teresa from Concordcalebthrower
  • edited July 31
    jluzania said:
    I mean, Bloodraven does get sent to the wall and become the LC during this time.
  • jluzania said:
    I mean, Bloodraven does get sent to the wall and become the LC during this time.
    If the show takes place during the Dance, that's about a century before Bloodraven. But you never know. Maybe they'll go anthology and cover every major era of the Targaryen dynasty. 
  • Damn you’re right I conflated it with the Blackfyre Rebellion for some reason. I would love nothing more than for it to be an anthology series, though.