Your Top 5 Wes Anderson Flicks

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
Listening to BM Prestige about Rushmore today and wanted to start a poll. 

[Shout out to Houston-native Wes Anderson which A.Ron mentioned.  I’d pass St. John’s all the time when living in Montrose. My childhood best friend’s Dad went there and in my 20s I went to his Dad’s funeral there.]

Top 5!

For me:

#1 The Royal Tenenbaums

I really hope A.Ron revisits this and gives us an update!

#2  The Life Aquatic
#3   The Darjeeling Limited 
(sense an Anjelica Huston theme?)
#4 Isle of Dogs
#5 Fantastic Mr. Fox

*Still haven’t seen all of Grand Budapest continuously. 

What’s yours? 
TravisOpusWhoElSkidBroRad33

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    1. Rushmore
    2. Moonrise Kingdom
    3. Fantastic Mr Fox
    4. Bottle Rocket
    5. The Life Aquatic
    cdriveOpusWho
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    pretty much what Dee said. and i f’n hate The Darjeeling Limited  :# 
    cdriveDeeElSkid
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited August 13
    The Life Aquatic
    Rushmore
    The Royal Tenenbaums
     Moonrise Kingdom
    The Grand Budapest Hotel

Caveat: I haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox or Isle of Dogs.
    cdrive
  • I'm super excited for the French Dispatch!

1) Grand Budapest Hotel
    2) Moonrise Kingdom
    3)The life Aquatic
    4)Royal Tenenbaums
    5) Isle of Dogs

I put Wes Anderson up with, Nolan, PTA and Villenuve as anything they put out i'm seeing it day one in the cinema
    cdrive
  • Despite him having made some of my favorite movies of all time, it's been quite some time since I've seen any of them. I guess we pretty much only watch tv these days and not many movies at all. That qualified:
    1. Tenenbaums (top 5 all-time for me, top 3 maybe)
    2. Rushmore
    3. Darjeeling
    4. Life Aquatic
    5. Grand Budapest

I still haven't seen either of the animated ones. Need to remedy that one of these days.
    Also, I'm sure this has made the rounds by now, but goddamn SNL nailed this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfDIAZCwHQE
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Travis said:
    Despite him having made some of my favorite movies of all time, it's been quite some time since I've seen any of them. I guess we pretty much only watch tv these days and not many movies at all. That qualified:
    2. Rushmore
    3. Darjeeling
    4. Life Aquatic
    5. Grand Budapest

I still haven't seen either of the animated ones. Need to remedy that one of these days.
    There's my dude! Yes!  High five on Tenenbaums being your #1 and Darjeeling being in your top 3!  I need to re-watch Rushmore.  Just for the soundtrack alone.  Prolly seen it 4 or 5 times.  Honestly Rushmore is my 4 and Isle of Dogs my 5.  They're all great movies.  Rushmore has the best soundtrack, I'd say followed by Tennenbaums and Darjeeling (just personally a big fan of Indian music and The Kinks).  Wes is so masterful at pairing scenes with music.  Play with Fire, and Powerman in Darjeeling.  Needle in the Hay in Tennenbaums.  Queen Bitch in Life Aquatic.  
    TravisOpusWhoElSkid
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX

I put Wes Anderson up with, Nolan, PTA and Villenuve as anything they put out i'm seeing it day one in the cinema
    Same! Thanks for making me aware of The French Dispatch!  
    Travis
  • cdrive said:
    Travis said:
    Despite him having made some of my favorite movies of all time, it's been quite some time since I've seen any of them. I guess we pretty much only watch tv these days and not many movies at all. That qualified:
    2. Rushmore
    3. Darjeeling
    4. Life Aquatic
    5. Grand Budapest

There's my dude! Yes!  High five on Tenenbaums being your #1 and Darjeeling being in your top 3!  I need to re-watch Rushmore.  Just for the soundtrack alone.  Prolly seen it 4 or 5 times.  Honestly Rushmore is my 4 and Isle of Dogs my 5.  They're all great movies.  Rushmore has the best soundtrack, I'd say followed by Tennenbaums and Darjeeling (just personally a big fan of Indian music and The Kinks).  Wes is so masterful at pairing scenes with music.  Play with Fire, and Powerman in Darjeeling.  Needle in the Hay in Tennenbaums.  Queen Bitch in Life Aquatic.  
    100% man! Hell yeah, buddy! His thoughtfulness about the music he uses is such a fantastic component. That Needle in the Hay scene is a perfect use of the song, and a weird song to have a perfect use for in a movie (amazing song, but I would never have thunk it could be used so effectively cinematically). Really, every song in Tenenbaums fits so incredibly thoughtfully. It's really amazing. That Rushmore soundtrack is a monster too, and I love the Seu Jorge Bowie covers in Aquatic.  Darjeeling is super under appreciated. I need to watch it again, it's been way too many years, but that movie really moved me. 
    cdrive
  • I only ever saw Darjeeling once and liked it but didn't love it, this thread has made me revisit and I'm really enjoying it, and it makes me want to ride a train through india so much!
    cdrive
  • cdrive said:

Same! Thanks for making me aware of The French Dispatch!  
    My pleasure, i'll share the trailer for anyone else who's not , it's inspire by the new yorker with Bill Murray as editor, looks kind like a spiritual succesor to Grand Budapest, which is my no.1 so i'm thrilled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPk2p0Zaw4
    cdrive
    1. Moonrise Kingdom - love the documentary framing device
    2. The Grand Budapest Hotel - Ralph Fiennes is impeccable 
    3. The Darjeeling Limited - truly underrated 
    4. Rushmore
    5. The Royal Tenenbaums

I have to recommend the Direct podcast series on Wes Anderson by Bald Move partners Eric and Levi. Fantastic podcast.

https://baldmove.com/direct/wes-anderson-prologue/

cdriveOpusWho
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
    The Darjeeling Limited w/ Hotel Chevalier prologue - that Peter Sarstedt song is so good + Natalie Portman
    The Life Aquatic
    Bottle Rocket
    Moonrise Kingdom

Last two are kind of a toss, it's a lower tier after Life Aquatic. Rushmore should probably be in there, it's a better film I guess but Jason Schwartzman kind of annoys me.
    cdriveTravisBroRad33
  • I came here to talk about the Darjeeling Limited. I am so happy to see some people love it. This is my personal favorite. Its ham-fistedness aside (literal baggage) something about it hits me on a deeply personal level. I have a lot of Dad/Brother shit...so that might be why. 

as to the rest 
    Royal Tenenbaums (Definition of Wes Anderson)
    The Life Aquatic
    Rushmore (A Quick One by The Who!!)
    Moonrise Kingdom
    cdriveTravis
  • This thread has made me realize I can't have a top 5 because I have only seen four:

1. Moonrise Kingdom
    2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    3. Rushmore
    4. The Royal Tenenbaums
    cdriveOpusWho
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Need a Coen bro’s list

Rushmore 
    GBH
    Moonrise
    Life Aquatic 
    Isle of Dogs
    cdriveOpusWho
  • Royal Tannenbaums all the way 1 million! Have any of you read Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger? Royal Tannenbaums is sort of an adaptation on that. one of the minor characters is Beatrice Tannenbaum. The married name of a daughter of the Glass family. When my sister got me to read Franny and Zooey I lost an entire summer to Salinger. 
    #2 - Life Aquatic
    #3 - Bottle Rocket
    #4 - Moonrise Kingdom
    #5 - Rushmore
    I didn't really care for Darjeeling Limited and am curious what some of you found in it that made some of you enjoy it so much.
    ChinaskiTraviscdrive
  • ElSkid said:
    Have any of you read Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger? Royal Tannenbaums is sort of an adaptation on that. one of the minor characters is Beatrice Tannenbaum. 
    I've heard of it, but never read it. I'm pretty intrigued now. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • ElSkid said:
    Royal Tannenbaums all the way 1 million! Have any of you read Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger? Royal Tannenbaums is sort of an adaptation on that. one of the minor characters is Beatrice Tannenbaum. The married name of a daughter of the Glass family. When my sister got me to read Franny and Zooey I lost an entire summer to Salinger. 
    #2 - Life Aquatic
    #3 - Bottle Rocket
    #4 - Moonrise Kingdom
    #5 - Rushmore
    I didn't really care for Darjeeling Limited and am curious what some of you found in it that made some of you enjoy it so much.
    I just watched it again. Its a personal thing as far as families go. I see much of me and my brother in the brothers...and the relationship with the father. The mother...but not as much. I went to see Rushmore with my brother and he was crying on the way out. For me that movie was DL. 
    cdrive
    1. Grand Budapest Hotel
    2. Moonrise Kingdom
    3. Royal Tennenbaums
    4. Rushmore
    5. Isle of Dogs
    cdrive
  • I was trying to respond to why I like Darjeeling Limited so much and it got me thinking about how one of the things I enjoy most about Wes Anderson is his use of soundtrack to create scenes. The scores are always great, but I think the more song moments/scenes the more I like the movie.

Royal Tenenbaums really destroys the competition with "These Days" (introduced me to Nico), "Police & Thieves",  "Me & Julio", "She Smiled Sweetly", "Needle in the Hay", and "Everyone" to name a few. Darjeeling has less "classic" songs overall, but all the Kinks (especially "Strangers") are done so well, and "Play with Fire" is literally fire. Life Aquatic is kind of an asterisk on this cause, while Seu Jorge is phenomenal the Bowie songs play more like score, yet we still get "The Way I Feel Inside" and holy shit "Staralfur."

The others movies have their moments but this is what cements my top 3. What are your favorite Wes Anderson soundtracks?
    cdriveTravis