Dark subtitles or dubbed?

I'm going to start Dark in the next day or 2. Do people recommend German spoken with English subtitles or the English dubbed version? I'm split because I want to focus on what's going on on the screen but I always feel like native language spoken with subtitles is always better. 

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    We did it with dubbed AND English subtitles.  I’m usually a native language guy also but for some reason we started it off watching it dubbed and liked it. 

Enjoy the journey!

tick tock.... tick tock....
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    I watched it in the original German and read the English subtitles. I will never watch a foreign film or tv show that has been dubbed. To me, it is one of the worst sins in art.
    Giovanni
  • I watch Anime dubbed all the time because the mouth movements aren't perfect anyway, but dubbing over real people speaking bothers me and I can't stand the dialogue not lining up with their mouth. So I only ever watched dark subbed (although I still haven't watched the latest season). 
    Chinaskigguenotdarwinfeeshy
  • asmallcat said:
    I watch Anime dubbed all the time because the mouth movements aren't perfect anyway, but dubbing over real people speaking bothers me and I can't stand the dialogue not lining up with their mouth. So I only ever watched dark subbed (although I still haven't watched the latest season). 
    What’s worse is that the dubbed English doesn’t even match the English subtitles. 
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm in the same boat as @asmallcat - Anime is is fine, but dubbing over live action no thanks.

i will say the original dubbing for Iron Monkey before Tarantino put his name on it and re-dubbed was hilarious. so bad that it was good. also, way back when.. my old roommate and i would get stoned on Sunday nights and watch Telemuno when they would show random Hollywood flicks dubbed in Spansh. they would even change the title. such classics as 'Niño Lobo Adolescente (Teen Wolf) and Niño's en el Barrio (Boyz in the Hood). we were convinced Stiles and Doughboy were voiced by the same dubbing actor  :D.
  • German audio w/ English subtitles 1000%. The German language really is part of the show IMO. After ARon said on a podcast that he was listening to the dubbed English I was curious and checked it out and goddamn the dubbing is so awful compared to the original German audio.
    Giovanni
  • Hollyoak said:
    I watched it in the original German and read the English subtitles. I will never watch a foreign film or tv show that has been dubbed. To me, it is one of the worst sins in art.
    This. That's how I feel. I think dubbing is pretty lame. Enjoyed hearing the German in Dark. Such a fantastic show. 
    MrX
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    In a show with this many characters and timelines and moving parts it's probably helpful to have subtitles on anyway, might as well use the original language especially if the dub and the subtitles don't line up.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I watched the first 2 season with German spoken with English subtitles and then after listening to the guys podcast and talked about how they did it with the English dubbed version, I decided to try my re-watch that way. And honestly I found it a better viewing experience. Normally I would do native language with subtitles, but this show was so complicated and with so much going on, I did find it easier to follow with the dub. Going through my re-watch I definitely missed things that I was able to catch with the dubbed version.
  • My friend told me about this show about two years ago and when I started watching it, it was dubbed. And I hated it solely because It was dubbed. Didn’t go back until last month, where I made the conscious decision to turn on German language and English subs and oh my god did it make a world of difference! 
    MrX
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    My friend told me about this show about two years ago and when I started watching it, it was dubbed. And I hated it solely because It was dubbed. Didn’t go back until last month, where I made the conscious decision to turn on German language and English subs and oh my god did it make a world of difference! 

I had the same experience, I had it recommended as this masterpiece but nobody told me it was in German and I just thought the sync was waaayyy off and it was too distracting so I never made it past the first scene
  • I watched the subtitled version and enjoyed it. I see why A.Ron couldn't make the jump after he was used to the dub voices. I would hate to give up Adam's totally sinister intonation.