Lovecraft Country (Spoilers SHOW ONLY - no book spoilers)

Comments

• Also - is there any chance at all that the freaky blond lady and the freaky blond guy aren't the same person?  I don't think that they ever shared a scene.
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    asmallcat said:
    asmallcat said:
    George was dancing with his wife.

I think the black stuff came from the ring that Christina Braithwhite gave Tic because it's clear she didn't agree with what her dad was doing, so I thought she put her own spell on it to protect Tic and kill her dad. I was kind of surprised we didn't see her at the end of the episode though. 
    I'm certain that wasn't his wife.
    George's wife "Hippolyta" is played by Aunjanue Ellis.
    George calls the lady he dances with "Dora." The role is credited to Erica Tazel. (Rachel Brooks from Justified!)

I guess the implication is that both George and Montrose were in love with Tic's mom (as strengthened by the "he might not be your son" line). 
    Those fantasy/dream sequences were their nightmares.  To the viewer, his 'nightmare' didn't look bad at all (compared to a snake-rape and violent fight with a Korean soldier), but when you realize that he had an affair with his brother's wife and there are doubts about who Tic's father is, and consider the life-long tense relationship that Tic had with his 'father' you begin to understand the weight of the guilt that he's been living with.
    Also hits on the commentary of 'consuming' others for entertainment. Much as the "Adam" character hopes to consume Tic with no regard to who he is, the group is also consuming their nightmares, their stories, their lives. Simply bc they have power over them, but also perhaps bc they themselves do not have the same authentic human struggles and experiences, or at least take joy in watching others struggle with those aspects of life, while they do not due to privilege. Add in the very real racial injustice and you have another strong 'allegory (?)' for the racial inequities in America. On a meta level - watching the struggles of others for entertainment without empathy - especially at the expense of black characters - is a comment on the entertainment industry and even part of what were all watching and discussing! Feel like I just "time is a flat circle"-d there.
    CretanBullMarci
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    **note** above is not ridicule or negativity to enjoying and discussing television or film. I love it and this show is keeping me on my toes
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    edited August 2020
    Things I said while watching the last episode:

"Damn, The Deuce lady is REALLY racist in this."

"Holy shits, it's the Dag?!?!"

"Rachel?!?"

"So wait, this is an anthology?"

Shame they're covering it on OTC, because it feels like some pulpy insanity after this one. 
  • MoonMan13 said:
    asmallcat said:
    asmallcat said:
    George was dancing with his wife.

I think the black stuff came from the ring that Christina Braithwhite gave Tic because it's clear she didn't agree with what her dad was doing, so I thought she put her own spell on it to protect Tic and kill her dad. I was kind of surprised we didn't see her at the end of the episode though. 
    I'm certain that wasn't his wife.
    George's wife "Hippolyta" is played by Aunjanue Ellis.
    George calls the lady he dances with "Dora." The role is credited to Erica Tazel. (Rachel Brooks from Justified!)

I guess the implication is that both George and Montrose were in love with Tic's mom (as strengthened by the "he might not be your son" line). 
    Those fantasy/dream sequences were their nightmares.  To the viewer, his 'nightmare' didn't look bad at all (compared to a snake-rape and violent fight with a Korean soldier), but when you realize that he had an affair with his brother's wife and there are doubts about who Tic's father is, and consider the life-long tense relationship that Tic had with his 'father' you begin to understand the weight of the guilt that he's been living with.
    Also hits on the commentary of 'consuming' others for entertainment. Much as the "Adam" character hopes to consume Tic with no regard to who he is, the group is also consuming their nightmares, their stories, their lives. Simply bc they have power over them, but also perhaps bc they themselves do not have the same authentic human struggles and experiences, or at least take joy in watching others struggle with those aspects of life, while they do not due to privilege. Add in the very real racial injustice and you have another strong 'allegory (?)' for the racial inequities in America. On a meta level - watching the struggles of others for entertainment without empathy - especially at the expense of black characters - is a comment on the entertainment industry and even part of what were all watching and discussing! Feel like I just "time is a flat circle"-d there.
    There was a lot of discussion about this when "12 Years a Slave" won big at the Oscars and in the subsequent years....most recently with the cancellation of the Weiss and Benioff 'What if the Confederates won?' show...about white people being entertained by black suffering, coupled with white expressions of empathy for fictional black characters and not with actual black people in the real world. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited August 2020
    Yep, not sure why they needed to hurry so much, 3 episodes for the whole thing might have been good.  Could have made the villagers even stranger, gave them more time to explore what was going on.  The cult ended up pretty damn generic too....

Also, pretty sure that wasn't just some Korean soldier, Tic has someone (people) he left behind in Korea.....

• Also, pretty sure that wasn't just some Korean soldier, Tic has someone (people) he left behind in Korea.....
    In episode 1 he phoned Korea and a woman answered....

• Also, pretty sure that wasn't just some Korean soldier, Tic has someone (people) he left behind in Korea.....
    In episode 1 he phoned Korea and a woman answered....
    Yeah, there might be a little Tic running around, too.  
    edited August 2020
    Also, pretty sure that wasn't just some Korean soldier, Tic has someone (people) he left behind in Korea.....

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out. The way he started talking about the war before George interrupted him made it seem like that fight might have actually happened while he was in Korea. But then who did he call?

Or was he getting some frustration out on this image of the woman he had to leave behind? He did go from shouting that he didn't want to hurt her to choosing to strangle her. I'm a little worried about finding out what Atticus did over there. 
  • It may be an amalgamation of whatever relationship issues he had with real things he did during the war, just not to the person he was depicted as fighting in the vision/spell. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Also - is there any chance at all that the freaky blond lady and the freaky blond guy aren't the same person?  I don't think that they ever shared a scene.
    Maybe he's subletting from her?
  • "Listen to Ashley C. Ford and Lovecraft Country writer Shannon Houston as they share their thoughts on the ties between the horror genre and Black culture and explore how the show’s themes connect to contemporary social issues." https://www.hbo.com/lovecraft-country/podcast

sjsparks
  • After the second episode did anyone else have this in their head:

Giant steps are what you take
    Whitey's on the moon
    I hope my legs don't break
    Whitey's on the moon
    We could walk forever
    Whitey's on the moon
    We could live together
    Whitey's on, Whitey's on the moon

CretanBullcdrive
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I’ve read several reviews now where, like me, they say the the second episode went flat. But they also say 3 onward is better.  I hope that’s true. I’d hate for Jordan Peele to be a one hit wonder. I’m rooting for him. 
  • I’ve read several reviews now where, like me, they say the the second episode went flat. But they also say 3 onward is better.  I hope that’s true. I’d hate for Jordan Peele to be a one hit wonder. I’m rooting for him. 
    Would he be a one-hit wonder? Key and Peele was well-loved, and I thought both Get Out and Us were both well-received, although Us slightly less so. 

And I thought he was also associated with the new twilight zone, although I never saw it. 
  • "Lovecraft Country is executive produced by showrunner Misha Green along with J.J. Abrams, Jordan Peele, Bill Carraro, Yann Demange, Daniel Sackheim, and David Knoller."

LC's success or failure is more on Misha Green's shoulders than Peele's.
  • I thought episode 3 was markedly better than 2.  I need time to digest my thoughts on it, but I enjoyed it a lot. 
    sjsparksrhcoop
  • Yeah I thought episode 3 went back to the core. Seems like there is a storyline moreso going towards Tic fighting random monsters and white people and trying to get this book of Adam (maybe?). I thought 3 was less out there than 2 so clung a bit more and the emotion was still there. Hoping episode 4 is good too! Do you guys think it'll be 1 season or multiple?
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited August 2020
    Sure, Christina could get the money to Leti, but then trusting Leti would buy that particular house is a little much.  OTOH, Christina could have bought that house and been seen around town, so Tic and Leti would follow her to the house and been put to work finding the pages through 'magic' before breaking free.
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited August 2020
    lengmo said:
    Sure, Christina could get the money to Leti, but then trusting Leti would buy that particular house is a little much.  OTOH, Christina could have bought that house and been seen around town, so Tic and Leti would follow her to the house and been put to work finding the pages through 'magic' before breaking free.
    I had similar thoughts.  I was hoping that this show would be 'great' but I realized last night that it won't be...however, it will be fun - especially if I turn off my critical brain and just roll with it.
    lengmo
  • sjsparks said:
    Yeah I thought episode 3 went back to the core. Seems like there is a storyline moreso going towards Tic fighting random monsters and white people and trying to get this book of Adam (maybe?). I thought 3 was less out there than 2 so clung a bit more and the emotion was still there. Hoping episode 4 is good too! Do you guys think it'll be 1 season or multiple?
    Showrunner Misha Green has talked on podcasts about how the show could explore more stuff in future seasons. So I assume it's not a Watchmen deal.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    i had some american horror story vibes from last nights episodes and im all for it. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Maybe it’s because I recently finished The Wire, but these characters are very one dimensional. Episode three was better but still not great. The storyline borders on YA.

I came back for Omar. 

So I guess it is a Wire thing  ;)
    rhcoopgjames80
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited September 2020

lengmo said:
    Christina paid off the real estate agent as well.  Though it does seem like a plan that requires amazing knowledge of Leti's circumstance and family relationship...

It'll be interesting to see if the rush this show seems to be in is going to be worth it at the end.  I feel like the Braithwaite cult and the haunted house could have benefited from an extra episode each...

• lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited September 2020

Christina paid off the real estate agent as well.  Though it does seem like a plan that requires amazing knowledge of Leti's circumstance and family relationship...
    Yes, there's the scene with Christina and the real estate agent.  My question is more "how did Christina know Leti would choose to buy a house with the money?"  Leti moves around, I'm not sure if she has her own car (so she could buy one), photographic equipment is expensive, she likes nice clothes, etc.  Once she decided to buy a house, sure, there's an African-American real estate agent on a main street all set up to talk her into that particular house (still a stretch but much less of one).

In the show Leti mentions her mother's weird behavior.  It was the perfect time to say her mother left her the money on the condition she buys a house for her and her sister or something like that.

I agree Christina does know a lot about Tic and the people around Tic.  Either it's the standard trope of the villain having lots of knowledge somehow to know what buttons to push or the cult kept tabs on him and his associates, grilled Montrose, etc.  They probably realized being able to manipulate Tic could be important if their magic needed a blood heir at some point.
    edited September 2020
    I definitely thought episode 3 was an improvement. The focus on Leti and her struggles worked for me, plus I do love haunted houses. Not to mention, it let them bring in another aspect of Black life in America with the Afro-Caribbean immigrant, even if it was something of a stereotypical role. I wonder if she was Matt Ruff's creation. 

And yeah, the idea of Leti deciding to buy that particular house, even with Christina's manipulation, does beggar belief. But at least it was the result of Chirstina's plan and not that Leti and Atticus are just so unlucky they're going to stumble across every paranormal horror in America. 

Also, the more Atticus mentions Korea, the more interested/anxious I am to find out what he did there. 
    lengmo
  • FYI, HBO Max put of episode 4 a few days early.  It's been available since Friday!  
  • Yeah I watched it tonight and was confused why it was available before late tonight. 

Looks like 2 was definitely the weakest episode so far (and only because they tried to jam SO MUCH in it), but it's also looking like this is gonna be more of a fun adventure romp with an EXTREMELY grim backdrop, which I'm here for honestly. Episode 4 felt like indiana jones or national treasure, in a good way. 

Also WHAT THE FUCK MONTROSE. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

Also also did not have fully nude, full hermaphrodite on my "weird shit that would be in this show" bingo card.  
  • I keep being mad at this show for not being what I want it to be but liking it anyway.
    cdrive
  • I did enjoy the adventure story. Kind of fun to have each episode doing a different genre.

I am also now fully on board the theory of Christina and William being the same person. Christina driving into that house and William walking out to beat down the two cops sealed it for me. 
    Cory