Doom Patrol

To triple back off the brief lunch discussion, I very grudgingly decided to watch an episode based mainly on the recommendation of a friend....about 16 hours later I completed binging the first season. What a phenomenal conceit and production. Doom Patrol is EASILY DC's hit it out of the park version of Legion with the primary difference being that the Doom Patrol was what Marvel almost 1 for 1 ripped off to create the X-Men...and as we all know the X-Men went on to dominate the public praise and discussion, this amazing series almost got lost to history. Insane. Any comic series/tv show that features a cackling, meta-aware, 4th wall breaking Alan Tudyk as well as...a sentient gender fluid 24/7 partying STREET that gets sucked into a goats asshole (yes you read that right, a street is an actual compelling character) is some interest shit. Check it out

Comments

• ^*finished binging both seasons in 16 hours, not just the first
  • I had no idea about this but I caught the coming scene on a Facebook video and now I desperately want to watch it. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited August 22
    Marvel ripped it off for the X-Men?  I don't remember thinking of parallels to the X-Men when I read a few issues of the Doom Patrol reboot in the 1990s....

Doom Patrol is EASILY DC's hit it out of the park version of Legion with the primary difference being that the Doom Patrol was what Marvel almost 1 for 1 ripped off to create the X-Men...and as we all know the X-Men went on to dominate the public praise and discussion, this amazing series almost got lost to history. Insane. 

• JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Don't get me wrong.  I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and think it's well worth a watch.  I just don't think it's as good as it has been made out here on the forums for the past few weeks.  I would put it firmly in the Pulp category.  The humor waffles between genuinely hilarious and juvenile.  Maybe my complete lack of ability to enjoy Brendan Fraser is tainting my enjoyment of it.
  • Wasn't the Doom Patrol super cynical in the comics, from what I remember?  How is that the X-Men?
  • https://nerdist.com/article/doom-patrol-x-men-parallel-history/

^ The parallel history of Doom Patrol and X-Men through the years...I think it probably started with Marvel wanting a edgier property like DP ....(jmysterious, paralyzed, and brilliant billionaire mentors a group of younger outcast in his mansion/school home)

• Marvel ripped it off for the X-Men?  I don't remember thinking of parallels to the X-Men when I read a few issues of the Doom Patrol reboot in the 1990s....

Doom Patrol is EASILY DC's hit it out of the park version of Legion with the primary difference being that the Doom Patrol was what Marvel almost 1 for 1 ripped off to create the X-Men...and as we all know the X-Men went on to dominate the public praise and discussion, this amazing series almost got lost to history. Insane. 

Not trying to take anything away from the X-Men, but it's definitely  initial premise, character traits, or just some of the villainous cabals names were quite obviously just surface level "tweaks".....so Doom Patrol had it's first issue printed  in June 1963 (titled 'My Greatest Adventur' then retroactively re-named 'Doom Patrol' due to popularity etc) and then Marvel"responsed" with their own X-Men Issue #1 with similar covers, tag-lines, and supervillains...In my very short research into this, I'd say maybe the very first X-Men was at the least influenced by Doom Patrol...anything passed that is starting to look more and more coincidental to me. I wasn't much a DC comics reader as a kid, and the only Marvel titles I kept up with here and there were The Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four....so apologies to any die-hard X-Men fan....even *if (could be debatable) the very first issue of X was a Doom Patrol homage, it was still probably very good much like the many years or releases on its way at the time....Jesus I need tech power down and go outside..sorry for all..^that..yall