What parts of the SW prequels are actually good?

Suppose you have the ability to travel back in time. First, you kill Hitler. You of course then attempt to save the Star Wars prequels.

What do you actually keep (or consider keeping)?

1. The Dual of the Fates
2. Darth Maul / his double sided lightsaber

I know there’s more, but... what exactly?
ken hale

Comments

• I did a re-watch of the entire series in chronological order.  I gave my thoughts of each movie before I watched - citing my memories, impressions etc and then watched the movie with an open mind and gave it an honest review and compared how/if my pre and post watching impressions changed.

http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/6706/my-star-wars-re-watch-please-join-in/p1
    JoshuaHeter
  • Keep Ian Mcdiarmid as Palpatine. He was in all of my favorite scenes. Also keep the purple lightsaber. You can replace Samuel L Jackson for all I care, but his purple lightsaber idea was dope so keep that. 
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The old school hyper space travel was real cool. Also, I love how most of the universe is polished and prosperous as opposed to the dystopian feel of the OT. Really adds weight to this Obi Wan quote:

gguenotDoubleA_Ron
  • Duel of fates
    the opening of 3
    the anakin Obi won fight
    gguenot
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    When Anakin gave Padme his thoughts on sand. 
    Hatoriangguenot
  • I’m keeping The Clone Wars and getting rid of all three movies.
  • Qui-Gon
    Darth Maul
    Jango Fett
    All of Episode II's closing action sequence from the arena onward (except Hayden's flat "I have a bad feeling about this.")
    Every second of Obi-wan in Episode III. 
    The general theme of a Republic transforming into an Empire. Plus, I would not have deleted the extra scenes with the senators in III, even if some of the line readings were a bit rough. 
    Hatorian
  • Ep 1
    The Podrace
    The Final Duel 
    The Score

Ep 2
    Honestly nothing. This movie is so forgettable and bland all I can remember is Ewan McGregor's hammy acting in it. I guess the water planet was kind of cool

Ep 3
    The opening fight right until they get on the ship
    General Grevious' design
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Pod racing fucking rules and should have its own spinoff movie or TV series or something. I'm shocked they never really tapped back into it other than the game which everyone also loves.
    asmallcat
  • Pod racing fucking rules and should have its own spinoff movie or TV series or something. I'm shocked they never really tapped back into it other than the game which everyone also loves.
    There was just a remaster of the game. 

It's on switch - https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/star-wars-episode-i-racer-switch/ - and maybe other systems? 
    bizmarkiefader
    asmallcat said:
    Pod racing fucking rules and should have its own spinoff movie or TV series or something. I'm shocked they never really tapped back into it other than the game which everyone also loves.

It's on switch - https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/star-wars-episode-i-racer-switch/ - and maybe other systems? 

What I really want is a live action show about the pod racing scene, preferably with nothing to do with Anakin. You could do so much with it and you wouldn't even need lightsabers or jedis or any of that shit.
  • asmallcat said:

What I really want is a live action show about the pod racing scene, preferably with nothing to do with Anakin. You could do so much with it and you wouldn't even need lightsabers or jedis or any of that shit.
    It's AMAZING how good the podrace scene still looks. That's a 1999 movie, so probably 96-97 era CGI. It's wild. 
    bizmarkiefaderDoubleA_Ron
  • Finding this thread late but that pod race was awesome. Especially audio wise, those things created so much bass it was absolutely ridiculous. I'd almost have to go back and rewatch these movies before I start plucking things out but the podrace and Darth Maul were the clear highlights of Episode 1. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • awookiee said:
    Finding this thread late but that pod race was awesome. Especially audio wise, those things created so much bass it was absolutely ridiculous. I'd almost have to go back and rewatch these movies before I start plucking things out but the podrace and Darth Maul were the clear highlights of Episode 1. 
    Yeah the audio was amazing too. The fact that kid anakin, the horrible 2-headed announcer, and the absurdly bad character design for the aliens couldn't ruin it shows how good it was. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Getting rid of any scene with Hayden Christiansen would be a good start. 
    awookiee
    awookiee said:
    Finding this thread late but that pod race was awesome. Especially audio wise, those things created so much bass it was absolutely ridiculous.

Now that you mention it I remember in the theater how loud that bass was. It made it feel like an actual race track. This thread is going to end up making me watch episode 1 again.
  • awookiee said:
    Finding this thread late but that pod race was awesome. Especially audio wise, those things created so much bass it was absolutely ridiculous.

Now that you mention it I remember in the theater how loud that bass was. It made it feel like an actual race track. This thread is going to end up making me watch episode 1 again.
    Do yourself a favor and just skip to the Darth Maul scenes and the Podrace. It's easy to forget how much of the 1st movie was about Jar Jar Binks. 
  • awookiee said:
    awookiee said:

Do yourself a favor and just skip to the Darth Maul scenes and the Podrace. It's easy to forget how much of the 1st movie was about Jar Jar Binks. 
    Meesa an inappropriate racial stereotype! 
    awookiee
  • asmallcat said:
    awookiee said:
    awookiee said:

Meesa an inappropriate racial stereotype! 
    Sorry, I had a very poor experience with a Gungan and I'll be scarred for life (psssst it was Episode 1).
  • Has there been a positive experience with a Gungan?
  • jluzania said:
    Has there been a positive experience with a Gungan?
    I actually like the design of their tech and architecture. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I think Obi-Wan was great, and they really could have done something cool with the idea of him doing Jedi detective work in Attack of the Clones. I'd love to see more Obi-Wan the investigator, using his seedy contacts, working his criminal informant networks, piecing things together from the holocron. We just got a taste and it tasted pretty good to me..