Ridley Scott's Raised By Wolves Show Premiere Episode 1 only (spoilers) HBOMAX

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
edited September 4 in Other TV
Anyone else watch this yet?

1st off about HBO MAX, as a longtime HBO customer I was really put off, as was my wife, about the idea that this new merger channel and new content would not be available to us.  Well we were completely wrong.  If you subscribe to HBO then you get it.  I know there is a Roku thing going on so it's not available there.  But we are Gen X dinosaurs who have not cut the cable, for me mostly because sports and for her 'cause she's a cable fiend, so we bundle Infinity cable, broadband, and home security.  Cable still not cut.  So you enter your cable provider that you get your HBO through into the HBOMAX app, and then cast it to your Google Chromecast (for us) or smart TV.  This works beautifully for us with having real broadband speed in the house.  The 15 seconds back/forward, and FF RW all work great.  Not the same for Disney+ which was stop-starty af last we used it recently for a Endgame rewatch.  "Daddy, why does it keep doing that?"  But I digress.
--------

Okay I thought this premiere episode was good to really amazing at moments. As a parent it was at moments super dark and depressing to watch.  The kid wondering off, the kids slowly being picked off by some extraterrestrial pathogen.  At one point I think I said "It's cold and windy af get those coughing kids inside!"  And then just the horrible low feeling I felt for the last remaining child. Or back up....even that last 2 remaining where the one was coughing and sick, and both the 2 remaining kids looking at Mother with fear and distrust.  But when it was down to just Campion.....I just remember saying "oh this is nightmare fuel, this is nightmare fuel."  When it's kids involved, that's just full tilt dread for me.  

Huge fan of Travis Fimmel by way of getting deep into the Vikings History Channel series.  He's got that mischievous glimmer in his eye with his acting chops that served well again in this role by instantly making Mother as an android when the "Believers" find them.  Maaaaaaan and then when the action started....boy that escalated quickly.  And gross! haha.  She is a 1-android army.  I think her flashback and her amnesia to her full powers is telling us she was a war machine in the great Atheists vs Believers war on mankind.  And I think the "atheists" are not human atheists, but this is a post-apocalyptic story after AI reached singularity and went sentient, where AI would naturally be atheists and "technocratic".  But man oh man could she fuck shit up in a hurry.  Took down that whole damn Ark like an afternoon snack. 

I knew this 1st episode would pack 10 pounds of story in a 5 pound bag, and if the goal for that was to get me hooked then mission accomplished.  There is some ticky-tacky stuff that I noticed that I could gripe about, particularly Father with his cording.  Like as an android you would think after he picked up a fucking giant dinosaur skull that he could calculate and test the tensile strength of his cording weighed against his body weight. And also not throw your already frayed af rope over ragged rocks like dude put a towel down or something!  But rule of cool softened that gripe and a few others.  Interested to hear what anyone else who might have watched it thought about it.    
blacksunrise7

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 4
    Watched all three episodes they put out yesterday. I'm all in if for nothing else than it being so weird and I have so many questions (plus it fills that crucial Thursday night slot). My biggest fear is that they won't answer enough of them to my satisfaction.

I've already came up with a drinking game: drink any time it feels like they drew from the South Park episode Go God Go XII

cdrive
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    Ho-li-shit I'm in.
    So, Mother obviously is equipped differently than Father was? What do we think about this banshee high frequency decimating ability?
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited September 4
    MoonMan13 said:
    So, Mother obviously is equipped differently than Father was? What do we think about this banshee high frequency decimating ability?
    Good topic to discuss!  Hey did you say you were an architect?  I thought I saw somewhere.  I just thought that was cool cause I grew up with an architect Dad and cad-drafted my way through college.  If I just completely hallucinated that you said that once then nevermind! haha.

So I think it was interesting that when Mother came out of the shelter to unleash the ass whooping, the Veteran Warrior dude, his name is Marcus, tried to quickly tell the others in his party "Don't look at her!" But it was too late and she fried their faces into gross meatloaf. Man that was sick.  The Cleric told Mother and Campion at dinner that he was a Cleric but the others were warriors from The War.  So this war and Mother's flashback are not from too long ago it seems. Not like a 100 year jump it seems, unless the cyrogenic space travel thing.  And Marcus, who I always want to call Ragnar cause of Vikings, has like a seared scar on one half of his face like he didn't quite look away in time from one of these android banshee attacks in The War.  Like he was trying to quickly warn the others from previous battle experiences.

So I think if they look away they don't get hurt.  This I think is backed up when she's on the Ark.  Maybe the atmosphere on the planet makes it less severe (albeit way more gross) than being in an anti-gravity spaceship in space, because she was turning room fulls of people into bloody psychedelic desktop screensavers.  But the one guy who wasn't looking at her in the control room and was instead ducking and hiding under the table wasn't decimated.  So we got a little bit of a Medusa thing going on there maybe is my take. We'll see how that plays out... 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 5
    Travis Fimmel definitely is an acquired taste. Like oysters. But I love oysters....

and yes, that eye thing he does. Recently watched a very so so war movie he was in and it was pretty effective. 
    cdriveFreddy
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Watched first episode giving it a wide berth. I’m not disappointed. I was the guy who didn’t hate Prometheus. So I’m in.
    cdriveMoonMan13FreddyGiovanni
    cdrive said:
    MoonMan13 said:
    Good topic to discuss!  Hey did you say you were an architect?  I thought I saw somewhere.  I just thought that was cool cause I grew up with an architect Dad and cad-drafted my way through college.  If I just completely hallucinated that you said that once then nevermind! haha.

So I think it was interesting that when Mother came out of the shelter to unleash the ass whooping, the Veteran Warrior dude, his name is Marcus, tried to quickly tell the others in his party "Don't look at her!" But it was too late and she fried their faces into gross meatloaf. Man that was sick.  The Cleric told Mother and Campion at dinner that he was a Cleric but the others were warriors from The War.  So this war and Mother's flashback are not from too long ago it seems. Not like a 100 year jump it seems, unless the cyrogenic space travel thing.  And Marcus, who I always want to call Ragnar cause of Vikings, has like a seared scar on one half of his face like he didn't quite look away in time from one of these android banshee attacks in The War.  Like he was trying to quickly warn the others from previous battle experiences.

So I think if they look away they don't get hurt.  This I think is backed up when she's on the Ark.  Maybe the atmosphere on the planet makes it less severe (albeit way more gross) than being in an anti-gravity spaceship in space, because she was turning room fulls of people into bloody psychedelic desktop screensavers.  But the one guy who wasn't looking at her in the control room and was instead ducking and hiding under the table wasn't decimated.  So we got a little bit of a Medusa thing going on there maybe is my take. We'll see how that plays out... 
    You are not hallucinating, I am an architect.
    This show is right up my alley in terms of aesthetic, mystery, themes, sci-fi, just everything. I hope it holds up.
    On a related note, I was there for prometheus and the following alien film with one exception: the the unbelievably irrational decision making. So let's hope we've sanded down that rough edge in this series 
    cdriveFreddyGiovanni
  • Will bald move cover this show? I’d love to have a podcast companion to it that will dive into all the symbolism and dystopian insights to this creation. 
    Moaneytigg05@yahoo.comblacksunrise7
  • Thanks for bringing this show up! Binged through all three episodes and really enjoyed it.

I thought the acting by Father and Mother was fantastic. It must be hard to balance the line of trying to act like a robot yet still care deeply for your children. I've particularly enjoyed Father trying to do the right thing for Campion even if it meant failing their mission. I felt incredibly bad for Campion when Mother decommissioned Father. As the parent of young children I felt the same horror that cdrive described. 

This is the type of show I never knew I wanted so badly. I hope they deliver. 
    cdrive
  • Just finished episode 1 for free on YouTube. I thought it was cheesy at first, but it gets better as it goes along.

I strongly recommend not watching the trailer ahead of time.

This would be a good show for the guys to cover. Seems like it would be right up their alley.

blacksunrise7
  • Watched the first episode last night, and my first thought as the credits rolled was, "What the fuck did I just watch?"

The first episode was simultaneously slow-going for the first 45, and lightening speed for the last 15.  I have heard that the season gets better after episode 1, so I'm gonna stick with it.  I think I mostly liked it, it just felt poorly paced.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Funny counter - the last 15 at lightning speed was in 60 FPS slow mo. The first 45 was good table setting / world building. But you’re spot on about the pace of ep 1. It went from the natural opening of a story to holy shit that escalated quickly! 
  • edited September 7
    The first episode is growing on my the more I think about it. I think I was a bit dismissive of the show in the beginning, especially when it veered into storytelling clichés (hysterical mother, children in peril). It turned out they were luring me into a false sense of security, and the last 15 minutes made my jaw drop.

The more I consider it from mother's perspective, her actions are a logical way to fulfill her mission.
    I enjoyed the hints of the broader universe, and am curious to learn more.

• She introduces herself as Lamia to the Mithraist explorers.  Hoo boy, that was quite the wikipedia entry.  
    Giovanni
  • edited September 8
    I loved the Lamia reference.

I also loved the Mithraists and their Larper outfits... one of them even says he is a "Cleric". The Mithraists seem totally incongruous and cheesy, and it's hard to say why it worked so well for me. Maybe my take-away is, to endure on a generation-spanning space mission, the travelers would indeed become more cult-like and bizarre over time. (The Expanse presents similar ideas.)

Finally, shout out to I Am Mother, an interesting Netflix film from a year ago, which explored a very similar themes. It was covered on a Bald Move podcast.
    MoonMan13
    adampasz said:

I also loved the Mithraists and their Larper outfits... one of them even says he is a "Cleric". The Mithraists seem totally incongruous and cheesy, and it's hard to say why it worked so well for me. Maybe my take-away is, to endure on a generation-spanning space mission, the travelers would indeed become more cult-like and bizarre over time. (The Expanse presents a similar ideas.)

Finally, shout out to I Am Mother, an interesting Netflix film from a year ago, which explored a very similar themes. It was covered on a Bald Move podcast.
    Totally bought into the religious/space vibe. Like some warhammer stuff - full disclosure I am only an outside observer fan of what I think warhammer is about.
    adampasz
  • MoonMan13 said:
    adampasz said:

I also loved the Mithraists and their Larper outfits... one of them even says he is a "Cleric". The Mithraists seem totally incongruous and cheesy, and it's hard to say why it worked so well for me. Maybe my take-away is, to endure on a generation-spanning space mission, the travelers would indeed become more cult-like and bizarre over time. (The Expanse presents a similar ideas.)

Totally bought into the religious/space vibe. Like some warhammer stuff - full disclosure I am only an outside observer fan of what I think warhammer is about.
    Yeah, I am expecting full on Warhammer 40K burning heretics by the cleansing power of the Emperor to break out at some point.  At least Ridley Scott is British, so 40K might have even higher mainstream crossover over there.....  
  • edited September 8
    Whoa. If this is a back-door Ridley Scott Warhammer 40K show, I am all in.

Bring on the Orks!

Giovanni
  • Had no idea what this was but watched episode 1 and I'm in. 

Wild stuff all around, and I enjoyed Travis Flimmel. Hopefully he sticks around. 
  • Little bit late to the party but I watched all 3 episodes. I had planned on just watching 1 then coming and checking out the forums because I saw specific episode threads but clearly that didn't happen.  Once I got going I just couldn't stop watching it.  @cdrive I applaud your attention to detail and dense breakdown of the material and I am 100% with you, Travis Fimmel will forever be Ragnar Lothbrok.  I learned to absolutely love his acting and as someone else pointed it out, the partially close one eye part of his acting is just done to such a high degree I feel like he has to use it in everything now.  

As many mentioned episode 1 starts off a little slow but that's expected with having to build the world this takes place in.  I don't have any kids but I am very close with my nieces and nephews, 3 of which live 5 houses away so while I didn't exactly view some of that as a parent lens, it definitely hit home.  Holy shit Mother can unleash an ass whoopin at a completely different kind of level.  I was 100% in on this before I even saw an episode with Ridley Scott being the name behind it and it clearly being a Sci Fi mindfuck. I'm going to leave it here because I don't want to start giving away anything from the 2nd or 3rd episode.  
  • No spoilers here, FYI. I watched 4 and 5 last night and my former reservations are gone.  Thoroughly enjoying it. 
    MoonMan13awookiee