STAR WARS: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

ReelHeadReelHead Bochum, Germany
Open thread for all the 'Star Wars'-discussion surrounding the next movie and also, it's brand new trailer.

Comments

• So stoked after seeing this, surely there's no way they can fuck it up when they've got Harrison Ford and Chewy on board
  • The Millennium Falcon shot was sick, but the rest was pretty weak. It felt rushed and kinda thrown together.
  • I'm going to confess that I've never seen the original 3 Star Wars movies (I've seen the 3 prequels) I feel like this is such a massive hole in my pop culture knowledge. I was excited to hear A.Ron mention on the latest Breaking Good cast that someone commissioned an Episode IV podcast.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Pretty cool. The storm trooper stuff looks like pretty generic black hawk down / zero dark thirty type shots. I don't know how to feel. The Phantom Menace trailer WAS AWESOME and the final movie was decidedly less so. Hard to believe we're a year away from new Star Wars, with the original cast on board.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I loved it. My friends tease me about being a robot, but I got goose bumps when the theme started as the MF shot into view, and my eyes welled up when the Star Wars logo appeared. I think it's pretty effective for a teaser trailer.

http://io9.com/a-shot-for-shot-dissection-of-all-the-clues-in-the-star-1664299291

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/11/28/star-wars-trailer-7/
  • I want that Saber! Very cool, cant wait
  • Can’t wait. I was one of the poor souls that went to the midnight release of episode 1. We won’t speak anymore of that day.
    From the photos I have seen I figured it was going to be good. REAL SETS AND LOCATIONS!!! After seeing the trailer I am filled with hope. Wife, child and I will be there opening night. But one mention of a trade embargo from people sitting in semi circles and it won’t be pretty.
  • I'm completely psyched! I'm glad they gave the keys to JJ Abrams. I think the trailer looks really fun. The light saber looks awesome and that whole sequence is creepy and fun. I underestimated how excited just the sight of the MF would make me. I didn't literally throw my fist in the air, but I felt a comparable sensation.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    10 year old me is very excited. Seems like the side vents on the saber would rule out any of the twirly hijinks from the prequels. I have to give Lucas some credit. It occurred to me if I came up with the idea of lightsabers, where light inexplicably stops 3 feet away from it's source, I'd have just said "ah, no fucking way can I get away with that."
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry, couldn't resist: Star Wars: Episode VII Trailer - George Lucas' Special Edition

• DamagingOstrichDamagingOstrich Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2014
    @pavlovsbell‌ That is my favorite fan edit I've seen for any trailer in a long time.
    The didn't mess up the music cues like they did in the special edition.
  • @chrisk‌ I will be taking my 11 year old daughter to her first midnight release for episode 7. I think she is excited because she watched the teaser at least ten times.
  • I wasn't born for the original trilogy, and too young to appreciate the hype behind the prequel trilogy, but once the theme starts in the teaser, it gave me chills. It suddenly hit me how crazy this moment is that I will be experiencing a new Star Wars film. The idea that I will be a part of the new chapter of something so many people have obsessed over for the past 30 years is crazy to me. I'm finally going to know what seeing a new film in this series feels like.
  • SoopaDoop said:

I wasn't born for the original trilogy, and too young to appreciate the hype behind the prequel trilogy, but once the theme starts in the teaser, it gave me chills. It suddenly hit me how crazy this moment is that I will be experiencing a new Star Wars film. The idea that I will be a part of the new chapter of something so many people have obsessed over for the past 30 years is crazy to me. I'm finally going to know what seeing a new film in this series feels like.

Guess that makes me old! Ive seen all of them in the theatre including the rereleases. Even waited hours in line for the premiere of episode 1 among a bunch of people dressed as the characters from the films. There were to guys dueling it out with plastic sabers who ended up getting booted. I recommend going to the premiere, at the very least you will get some quality stuff for facebook!
    I missed A New Hope, but I stood in line with my dad on opening night for Empire. Made him take me to the bathroom to pee when Luke and Vader fought, too. When we walked back in, Luke was hanging by the weather vane. Haha, that's love.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I am totally excited for this! It looks great. I am one of the few that didn't hate the first 3 prequels by Lucas. My all time favorite is The Empire Strikes Back.
  • I guess I am going to date myself but have seen all episodes first run in the theater. I for one am looking forward to seeing members of the original cast back on the big screen as the story continues.
  • The Millennium Falcon shot was sick, but the rest was pretty weak. It felt rushed and kinda thrown together.

Sorry, but have you never watched a teaser? Don't expect linear storytelling from jj or someone like nolan.

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    yep, I am also old enough to have seen all 6 films in theatrical release. Star Trek was the first thing to come along and catch on with a niche group and become a fandom, but Star Wars was the first modern mainstream blockbuster, and Lucas knew how to market not only the films but the toys and the tie-ins. Star Wars was literally everywhere, at a time when there were maybe 6 channels of TV you could watch (25 if you had cable) and no internet. It's kinda sad now that it's just another thing we're talking about, a rebootquel along the lines of Terminator and Jurassic Park.

That being said, and as much as I admire and respect Abrams, I don't have a lot of hope about the new films. The Trek reboot was fun, and I wouldn't want to be the asshole who says "That's not real Star Trek," but it's not MY Star Trek. I hope that there is a 5 year old kid out there right now who will see the Abrams Star Wars and have his world rocked, but I don't think this is MY Star Wars.
  • @FrakkinToaster‌ I can understand what you are saying. I think the difference with Episode VII is we are not having to deal with a reboot or prequel. I was not crazy about the Star Wars prequels but my son loved them. As a father I was able able to share that experience with him.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Any of you guys heard Confused Matthew's reviews of the prequels? He does a great job of picking apart just how ridiculous they are. Here is a link (warning, this guy is a bit of a whiner): confusedmatthew.com/star-wars-prequels.html
    I haven't seen those, but I have seen the Red Letter Media take downs, which aside from the weird serial killer/rapist vignettes that he seems to think are super funny, are really well done. Have you seen the RLM ones? That guy has a weird vocal affect too, which drives Jim crazy but I seem to be able to ignore after five minutes or so.