iTunes Removing Episodes

It seems iTunes has removed certain episodes from certain series around the PC movement..example it’s always sunny episode 9 from season 9 “The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6”. presumably for the blackface..

I’m fine with streaming sites removing episodes since you’re not technically paying for specific content. but I paid $20 for season 9 when it came out. Has anyone encountered this and if so tried to get a refund? 

Comments

• Also when do you draw the line? There’s probably 10 episodes of IASIP that can easily be seen as offending various groups. In 5 years from now is half the series going to be unavailable...?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    if you purchased them at some point you should still own the content in your cloud or if they were downloaded. i know a guy ;)
    HatorianJoshTheBlack
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    They ought to do what Mad Men did on iTunes. A friend and I went and rewatched "My Kentucky Home," in which a character is in blackface. They had a disclaimer at the beginning of the episode that the subject matter was kept in unedited to show what the milieu of that time was like. 

But yeah, it is one of those things. Plenty of shows know what they are doing and poke fun at the person who is ignorantly being racist, sexist, or whatever the problematic opinion may be. I don't know if there is a right answer. But I am pretty sure that just deleting an episode instead of having a conversation about it, is not the answer I would like to see. It is the equivalent of sweeping a problem under the rug instead of dealing with it.

As someone who also purchased that season mentioned in this thread, it is crummy to know that something that was bought could be yanked away. But that is always what we kind of knew about digital purchases. It is partly why I still have a decent digital library but have gone back to buying almost all physical releases. 
    HatorianCretanBullnealJoshTheBlack
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 8
    Physical copies don’t work for me cuz they region lock a ton of shit. I can’t watch my Jurrasic Park 4K 3D Blu ray on my Singapore purchased Xbox X because the Blu ray was purchased when I was in the US. 

Guess I’m just gonna put on The Eye Patch from now on. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited September 8
    hit me up on the side if you have any issues accessing iTunes content you paid for @hatorian

edit: you too @Garthgou81
    Hatorian
  • It is decisions like this that really prove Digital Rights Management is a scourge.  This is why piracy hasn't died despite living in an age where most everything can be had legally with ease.